Fleetwood Mac -- Minneapolis, MN -- September 30th, 2014
The Story So Far -- Lawrence, KS -- September 30th, 2014
Coheed and Cambria -- Boston, MA -- September 28th, 2014
Vixen -- Madrid, Spain -- September 27th, 2014
Crowbar -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- September 28th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 08-18-2011, 05:27 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

My guess: Chocolate Starfish #2, Significant Other #1.

Last edited by jd091; 08-18-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:55 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

Slipknot- Slipknot

I remember the first time I heard this album. I was just previewing random shit on TowerRecords.com (my favorite hobby at the time) and I stumbled upon this. This was the heaviest thing I had ever heard. Wow...just wow. I got my mom to drive me to Best Buy and I picked up the CD. I immediately opened it in the car and started flipping through the booklet. My mom saw it, unfortunately, and she forced Best Buy to take it back for a full refund because they didn't display the Parental Advisory sticker. Yes, even to this day I am shocked at the ease at which Corey Taylor shouts "fuck" the whole time. Gives the album personality, I think

This is the most nu-metal sounding of Slipknot's albums, but it's still heavy as fuck. It's kinda obvious at this point that Slipknot is the heaviest nu-metal band to have ever existed; indeed, I consider them sort of a nu-metal/death metal hybrid (BRING ON THE HATE). But just listen to Sic, Eyeless, and Surfacing. Wow...just fucking wow. This is just so fucking angry but it's so tongue-in-cheek, too. I love it. Now, most Slipknot albums have at least one skippable track, and this one is no exception. Wait and Bleed is probably one of the worst songs I've ever heard, and no doubt Slipknot's worst song. Spit it Out is also extremely heavy on the nu-metal, but it's more fun to listen to, as it is just so cheesy, especially with the rapping. There's also a LOT of turntablism/sampling on this record, more so than other nu-metal albums even. It's cool how they can be so heavy but so...electronic at the same time.

There's some filler at the end of the album but meh, it all evens out.

(sic)
Eyeless
Surfacing
Liberate

FUCK IT ALL, FUCK THIS WORLD, FUCK EVERYTHING YOU STAND FOR

FUCK ME, I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES

**Actually, come to think of it, I probably like Iowa better. They're probably tied, though.

Last edited by larvtard; 08-18-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:12 PM
Meh.

I'm with you. It's hard to choose between this and Iowa, as they each have their own style. You're not wrong with the death metal influence though. In Choosing Death, a bunch of guys at the end say how Slipknot have that influence and get a bunch of people further into the heavier stuff.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama lom View Post
I'm with you. It's hard to choose between this and Iowa, as they each have their own style. You're not wrong with the death metal influence though. In Choosing Death, a bunch of guys at the end say how Slipknot have that influence and get a bunch of people further into the heavier stuff.
Slipknot definitely got me into heavier shit; I'm not at all ashamed to say that (as you can probably tell )
Old 08-18-2011, 06:47 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Being stupid on paper, the "jump the fuck up thing" during Spit It Out live has to be fucking fun.

First two Slipknot albums = only nu-metal you'll EVER need.
10/21 - Judas Priest
10/22 - Mastodong
Old 08-18-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
Being stupid on paper, the "jump the fuck up thing" during Spit It Out live has to be fucking fun.
It is

Would've been better if I was in the pit area, though. I hope I'll get to see these guys again.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:54 PM
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logAnarchy View Post
Slipknot definitely got me into heavier shit; I'm not at all ashamed to say that (as you can probably tell )
Same here. I think it's safe to say that if it wasn't for them I wouldn't like most metal.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:56 PM
Headbanger

I might sound crazy for saying this but I have a hard time finding 6 cd's of all time better than Slipknot - s/t let alone 6 nu-metal cd's.

When you factor in the 20th Anniversary copy I have with Snap and the other bonus tracks this is by miles the best Nu-Metal cd every released to me. Snap is probably the best driving song ever penned along with Bad Habit by Offspring. Eyeless and Liberate are Top 10 also and I'll never get tired of those songs especially cranked on 10 while driving like a lunatic.

This cd was one of the 1st cd's that really incorporated fun and anger flawlessly for me. Sprinkle in the evil of Purity and Scissors and you have one for the annals...
Old 08-18-2011, 09:45 PM
not the mama

Anyone else remember the game Infected for the PSP? It had loads of Slipknot songs as well as Ill Nino, Chimaira and others. It was awesome!
Old 08-19-2011, 12:34 AM
HEY! LISTEN!

Last time I listened to that album, I felt sad about having liked it in the past.