Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Sadistic Intent -- Downey, CA -- December 21st, 2013
Thy Art Is Murder -- Sydney, Australia -- December 19th, 2014
Intronaut -- West Hollywood, CA -- December 19th, 2014
Cannabis Corpse -- Chicago, IL -- December 17th, 2014
Kreator -- London, England -- December 18th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 08-17-2011, 11:58 AM
Look at me now, using torches of fire, look higher than anyone else, I am the great juggler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
Seriously one of my favorite bands of all time. I've been blasting Epitaph for 6 years now. Patiently waiting for new material...
Why are all of the awesome bands suddendly mysteriously disappearing?
Old 08-17-2011, 12:18 PM
Look at me now, using torches of fire, look higher than anyone else, I am the great juggler!

#13 will come after I get off work tonight. Everyone needs to hear this one
Old 08-17-2011, 10:39 PM

13. Quo Vadis - Day Into Night

Canada's tech-death scene is well known for putting out some of the most quality music in the genre, both old school and newer bands. Quo Vadis is no exception to this, and Day to Night represents the pinnacle of their career in my eyes, and this album really cemented their place in the underground metal scene with their brand of well written, progressive, and melodic brand of technical death metal.

On Day Into Night, Quo Vadis make themselves stand out from most tech-death bands by incorporating a strong 80's metal influence, kind of like another tech-death band we all know and love. There's plenty of riffs that recall 80's thrash, and honestly, Quo Vadis are one of the only tech death bands I know who actually have a NWOBHM influence to their music (the galloping pace in "Let It Burn" being a perfect example). Which this album is full of. Lead guitarist and primary songwriter Bart clearly knows his way around his instrument, producing tons of technically proficient riffs, melodies, and solos. However, he never lets this album turn into a wankfest. He is able to produce some truly beautiful leadwork, such as the epic, flowing melodies and tasty soloing in "On the Shores of Ithaka", even throwing in a nice acoustic passage or clean guitar interlude here and there, and manages to keep all of the songs interesting throughout. Another highlight of this record is Yanic's drumming. Most tech-death drummers are known for their blasting (which this album has none of, by the way) or their insane fills. Yanic's defining trait, however, are those feet of his. Seriously, i'm surprised this guy hasn't put a hole in his drumkit with how he uses the double bass on this album. It serves as a nice and unique replacement for blastbeats. Also worth mentioning are the vocals. This guy is almost a dead ringer for sounding like Jeff Walker of Carcass fame. They would abandon this vocal style on the next album with their slight lineup change.

This album is a perfect example of a classy, catchy, well written tech-death album that doesn't quite get the recognition it deserves.

Examples:
Absolution
Dysgenics
Let It Burn
On the Shores of Ithaka
Mute Requiem
Old 08-17-2011, 10:56 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnataFan4Life View Post
13. Quo Vadis - Day Into Night

Canada's tech-death scene is well known for putting out some of the most quality music in the genre, both old school and newer bands. Quo Vadis is no exception to this, and Day to Night represents the pinnacle of their career in my eyes, and this album really cemented their place in the underground metal scene with their brand of well written, progressive, and melodic brand of technical death metal.

On Day Into Night, Quo Vadis make themselves stand out from most tech-death bands by incorporating a strong 80's metal influence, kind of like another tech-death band we all know and love. There's plenty of riffs that recall 80's thrash, and honestly, Quo Vadis are one of the only tech death bands I know who actually have a NWOBHM influence to their music (the galloping pace in "Let It Burn" being a perfect example). Which this album is full of. Lead guitarist and primary songwriter Bart clearly knows his way around his instrument, producing tons of technically proficient riffs, melodies, and solos. However, he never lets this album turn into a wankfest. He is able to produce some truly beautiful leadwork, such as the epic, flowing melodies and tasty soloing in "On the Shores of Ithaka", even throwing in a nice acoustic passage or clean guitar interlude here and there, and manages to keep all of the songs interesting throughout. Another highlight of this record is Yanic's drumming. Most tech-death drummers are known for their blasting (which this album has none of, by the way) or their insane fills. Yanic's defining trait, however, are those feet of his. Seriously, i'm surprised this guy hasn't put a hole in his drumkit with how he uses the double bass on this album. It serves as a nice and unique replacement for blastbeats. Also worth mentioning are the vocals. This guy is almost a dead ringer for sounding like Jeff Walker of Carcass fame. They would abandon this vocal style on the next album with their slight lineup change.

This album is a perfect example of a classy, catchy, well written tech-death album that doesn't quite get the recognition it deserves.

Examples:
Absolution
Dysgenics
Let It Burn
On the Shores of Ithaka
Mute Requiem
FUCK YEAH MOTHERFUCKER I FUCKING LOVE YOU

I WENT TO BALTIMORE TO SEE THEIR SECOND EVER US SHOW HOLY SHIT IT WAS MIND-BLOWINGLY GOOD!

Absolution was one of my first metal songs! On The Shores Of Ithaka kicks dicks live! HORY SHET I HAPPY
Old 08-18-2011, 07:16 AM
Red Light In My Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
FUCK YEAH MOTHERFUCKER I FUCKING LOVE YOU

I WENT TO BALTIMORE TO SEE THEIR SECOND EVER US SHOW HOLY SHIT IT WAS MIND-BLOWINGLY GOOD!

Absolution was one of my first metal songs! On The Shores Of Ithaka kicks dicks live! HORY SHET I HAPPY
Yeah, they were fucking incredible live. They headlined the first night of New England Deathfest 09, but as soon as Neuraxis got off stage everyone retreated to the bar and for awhile me and my friend were the only ones up front for Quo Vadis
Old 08-18-2011, 10:58 AM

12. Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris

...and we come to this.

This album is one of those albums that makes you wonder "How the hell did somebody even THINK to come up with something like this?!" I don't know where the idea for this album came from, but i'm just glad they came up with it, because this album is like nothing you've ever heard before. These guys put a progressive, technical, and atmospheric spin on their home country's already unique brand of deathgrind, and were able to create an astounding work of art.

To put it simply, Elvenefris does something that hasn't been implemented in technical death metal, or even death metal in general. They've managed to make a death metal record that has a calm, ethereal atmosphere. Now, this may sound disastrous on paper, but believe it or not, it actually sounds amazing. Where do I start, but with Tomas Corn. Seriously, this guy could give Flo Mounier a run for his money. This guy flat out DESTROYS his kit on this album, as he crushes your skull with smooth fills and hyper blast rolls. As I stated, his style is comparable to the much more famous Cryptopsy drummer, but instead of the more calculated style that Flo employs, Tomas goes for a bit more of an organic sound to his drumming, which really benefits the atmosphere of the album. The riffing is actually a bit more simple than most tech-death albums, but this isn't a bad thing at all. In fact, every riff and melody serves a purpose in perpetuating the ethereal atmosphere of the album. Another thing that makes it very different from most tech-death is that there isn't a single guitar solo on the entire album. Again, this isn't a bad thing, because once you hear the album, you'll realize that there is no place for unnecessary guitar solos on here. Another thing I find very interesting about this album's atmosphere is that it almost sounds spiritual at times. By that I don't mean religious, but maybe in more of a introspective way. There's even a bit of a Middle Eastern, almost Arabic sound going on at times. Hell, some parts of the album even have hymn-like chants squeezed in between the brutal growls! It's kinda hard to describe; you'll have to listen for yourself.

"Atmospheric Progressive Technical Deathgrind" is a mouthful, but it's honestly the best way to describe what is going on with this record. It's what I like to call "brutiful".

Also worth mentioning is the 11 minute ambient track at the end, "Walking Through the Garden of Ma'at", which is a soothing end to an intense album. It's not for everyone, but it's definitely an interesting way to end the album.

Examples:
Land Where Sympathy Is Air
To Become Shelter and Salvation
Bringer of Elvenefris Flame
Flowering Entities
A Step Closer
An Old Man and a Child
Old 08-18-2011, 11:14 AM
Pursue happiness with diligence

An excellent addition. That is such a tough album to get into, but it's brilliant.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
An excellent addition. That is such a tough album to get into, but it's brilliant.
Yeah, I can see where some death metal fans might get turned off by how "soft" it sounds.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:36 PM
Altars of Radness

I am pleased. That is one of my favorites.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:18 AM

I hope you guys like Egyptian stuff...