Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 08-16-2011, 07:11 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnataFan4Life View Post
Yeah I wouldn't exactly call Nile melodic. Maybe a little bit in certain parts, but I definitely consider them a brutal band.

Sooo...A Celebration of Guilt guize?
I'm kidding; Nile is like, the antithesis of melodic metal. I'll have to check Arsis out. I've never given them a fair chance.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:18 PM
Look at me now, using torches of fire, look higher than anyone else, I am the great juggler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
I'm kidding; Nile is like, the antithesis of melodic metal. I'll have to check Arsis out. I've never given them a fair chance.
ACoG is a good place to start. If you like it, check out their other albums too. The next two are more in the noodly vein of tech death like Necrophagist and Decrepit Birth, and Starve For the Devil is a semi return to the first album, but with a more 80's power/thrash influence.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:38 AM
Look at me now, using torches of fire, look higher than anyone else, I am the great juggler!

Heads up, we've got a real pioneer coming next
Old 08-17-2011, 08:49 AM
Red Light In My Eyes

Atheist?
Old 08-17-2011, 09:29 AM

14. Necrophagist - Epitaph

Ah, the infamous Necrophagist. The band who is both praised and criticized for the insane guitar wizardry of frontman Muhammad Suicmez. These guys pretty much invented the noodly, wanky, "weedly weedly" side of tech-death, and while many bands have adopted this style, few can pull it off like Necrophagist can. I'd say that this and their debut are about equal, but due to the debut being released before the 21st century, we will have to stick with just Epitaph.

Where do I start? With Muhammad of course. When I first heard this album, I was FLOORED by this guy's skill on the guitar. I had never quite heard anyone play like that at the time, and it would lead me to discover a plethora of new bands in this genre. There are so many riffs here that you would probably lose count, and most of them are very short riffs. The riffs are used to build up to the real highlight of the album, which, as most of you know, is Muhammad's solos. While this may sound pretty self indulgent on paper, he manages to make it work. Many bands took this approach and basically pushed it too far, to the point where the whole song is basically a solo, but Muhammad actually gives you something to look forward to. The soloing is some of the best you'll hear in tech-death, making use of almost every technique in the book. Arpeggios, sweeps, tapping, you name it. Every solo is neoclassical in nature, which is another thing the band pioneered. These neoclassical elements actually helped them stand out, something that their followers often failed to do. The rhythm section holds their own as well, as the basslines are often heard soloing before a guitar lead, and the drumming mostly consists of blasting with some rolls and fills here and there, but the majority of the attention goes to the amazing guitarwork. This may not sound very appealing to some, but like I said, it works here. The band knows when to break up the monotony on their songs, such as throwing in classical pieces transferred to guitar, such as "The Stillborn One" and "Only Ash Remains", or even the fan favorite "Seven", which refers to the time signature the song is played in.

If you completely despise clean sounding tech-death, then this album is probably not going to change your mind, as this definitely isn't for everyone. However, this album is a piece of history for me, and you should at lest give it a try.

Examples:
The Stillborn One
Diminished to B
Epitaph
Only Ash Remains
Seven
Old 08-17-2011, 10:05 AM

I can understand Anata being higher... but other than that... where the fuck are there 13 tech death albums better than this? Come on, man!
Old 08-17-2011, 10:13 AM
Meh.

Quote:
14. Necrophagist - Epitaph

Ah, the infamous Necrophagist. The band who is both praised and criticized for the insane guitar wizardry of frontman Muhammad Suicmez. These guys pretty much invented the noodly, wanky, "weedly weedly" side of tech-death, and while many bands have adopted this style, few can pull it off like Necrophagist can. I'd say that this and their debut are about equal, but due to the debut being released before the 21st century, we will have to stick with just Epitaph.

Where do I start? With Muhammad of course. When I first heard this album, I was FLOORED by this guy's skill on the guitar. I had never quite heard anyone play like that at the time, and it would lead me to discover a plethora of new bands in this genre. There are so many riffs here that you would probably lose count, and most of them are very short riffs. The riffs are used to build up to the real highlight of the album, which, as most of you know, is Muhammad's solos. While this may sound pretty self indulgent on paper, he manages to make it work. Many bands took this approach and basically pushed it too far, to the point where the whole song is basically a solo, but Muhammad actually gives you something to look forward to. The soloing is some of the best you'll hear in tech-death, making use of almost every technique in the book. Arpeggios, sweeps, tapping, you name it. Every solo is neoclassical in nature, which is another thing the band pioneered. These neoclassical elements actually helped them stand out, something that their followers often failed to do. The rhythm section holds their own as well, as the basslines are often heard soloing before a guitar lead, and the drumming mostly consists of blasting with some rolls and fills here and there, but the majority of the attention goes to the amazing guitarwork. This may not sound very appealing to some, but like I said, it works here. The band knows when to break up the monotony on their songs, such as throwing in classical pieces transferred to guitar, such as "The Stillborn One" and "Only Ash Remains", or even the fan favorite "Seven", which refers to the time signature the song is played in.

If you completely despise clean sounding tech-death, then this album is probably not going to change your mind, as this definitely isn't for everyone. However, this album is a piece of history for me, and you should at lest give it a try.

Examples:
The Stillborn One
Diminished to B
Epitaph
Only Ash Remains
Seven
Now if only that new album came out.........
Old 08-17-2011, 10:14 AM
and you can never quarantine the past

Necrofagist just doesn't do it for me.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
I can understand Anata being higher... but other than that... where the fuck are there 13 tech death albums better than this? Come on, man!
I see you are a big Necrophagist fan?
Old 08-17-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logAnarchy View Post
Necrofagist just doesn't do it for me.
Oh you can just shut da fuck up right now.

Quote:
I see you are a big Necrophagist fan?
Seriously one of my favorite bands of all time. I've been blasting Epitaph for 6 years now. Patiently waiting for new material...