Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 08-15-2011, 07:54 PM
not the mama

Gorguts
Old 08-15-2011, 08:26 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnataFan4Life View Post
As for a band to rule out: I was gonna include Revocation, but I decided that they were more associated with thrash than death.
haha, people say that all the time, but they're much more of a tech-death band to me. They just have a really thrashy edge.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:27 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnataFan4Life View Post
As for a band to rule out: I was gonna include Revocation, but I decided that they were more associated with thrash than death.
Eh... I definitely consider Revo a tech death band before thrash.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:30 PM
Look at me now, using torches of fire, look higher than anyone else, I am the great juggler!

Idk, they ARE really fucking good. Who knows, maybe I might change it around
Old 08-15-2011, 09:28 PM
Look at me now, using torches of fire, look higher than anyone else, I am the great juggler!

17. Martyr - Warp Zone

Many tech-death bands have gained notoriety in Canada, and are considered hallmarks of the genre. Cryptopsy, Gorguts, Neuraxis, you name it. One band who seems to slip under the radar, however, is a band called Martyr, who are probably more famous for Daniel Mongrain filling in as Voivod's guitar player than his actual band. Which is a damn shame, because this is one amazing slab of progressive/technical death metal.

One thing I really enjoy about this album is that it isn't particularly fast like most tech-death albums are. The fastest the songs go here is usually about thrash-level speed, and even then, Martyr prefers to hit a mid paced groove to let the mind bending riffs actually stick in your head. The album also makes very good use of odd time signatures in order to create memorable songs, rather than just show you how good they are with their instruments. As I stated, the guitars create some amazing riffs and melodies, tied together with some tasty soloing (Carpe Diem is a good example of their soloing skills). And while there are plenty of insanely technical chops here, they also know when to restrain themselves too. In fact, now that I think about it, a lot of the riffwork on here reminds me of Revocation of all bands. The rhythm section is notable too, for the basslines are actually quite audible and seamlessly weave in between the guitar lines, even getting some solo action at parts. The drumming on this album is pretty shocking, actually, because I don't think I recalled hearing a single blastbeat on the whole album. In fact, a lot of the drumming is centered around insane, jazzy fills and off-kilter time signatures. The thing that bothers people the most about this record seems to be the vocals, which, honestly, don't sound very death metal at all. In fact, Daniel's vocals are very throaty and have a much more thrashy sound to them, and only occasionally does his brother Francois actually throw in a proper death growl. They eventually grew on me though.

If you can warm up to the vocals-hell, even if you CAN'T, you should still give this album a chance, just because the music kicks ass.

I also have to make special note of the last song, which is a collection of riffs from other songs on the album, rearranged with spoken word overtop. It sounds sketchy at first, but trust me, it plays out better than you think.

Examples:
Warp Zone
Virtual Emotions
Endless Vortex Towards Erasing Destiny
Carpe Diem
Realms of Reverie
Old 08-15-2011, 09:55 PM
Born Again In Blasphemy

I've been meaning to check this band out for a while now. Maybe I'll start with this one.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srm90 View Post
I've been meaning to check this band out for a while now. Maybe I'll start with this one.
Check out all three of their albums. They all kick ass!
Old 08-16-2011, 06:31 AM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Huh, this is definitely an interesting album now that I'm checking it out. Vocals could be a lot better, but I'm digging that dirty guitar tone as opposed to most clean-cut tech death. And call me crazy, but it's almost reminding me of Converge at times...

Cool choice!
Old 08-16-2011, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
Huh, this is definitely an interesting album now that I'm checking it out. Vocals could be a lot better, but I'm digging that dirty guitar tone as opposed to most clean-cut tech death. And call me crazy, but it's almost reminding me of Converge at times...

Cool choice!
They definitely take a much more old school approach to the genre, which plays out in their favor.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:21 AM

16. Fleshgod Apocalypse - Mafia

"THATS NOT AN ALBUM ITS AN EP!!11!!!1" This may only be an EP, but it's a damn good one, and while I enjoy all of the band's work, I actually find this to be their peak performance.

This EP is the perfect bridge between their two albums: it's an evolution of the unrelenting intensity displayed on Oracles, by increasing the classical elements in their music, something that would fully manifest itself on Agony, and the songs here have a bit more dynamics than those found on Oracles.

The meat of this EP is the trifecta of intense badassery that is the first three songs. Thru Our Scars, Abyssal, and Conspiracy of Silence all harness the technical brutality of the debut, and add a bit more as far as songwriting goes. People seem to wonder what the octopus on the front is supposed to symbolize, and I think it may be referring to their drummer Francesco, because his drumming here is simply inhuman. Yes, he does a lot of blasting, but it fits within the context of the songs, and boy is he fucking FAST here. Even when he isn't jackhammering his kit at lightning speed, he's demolishing it with insane fills and blistering double bass rolls. The guitarists aren't slouches either. They utilize a mixture of crunchy, chugging riffs, tremolo picking, and spastic neoclassical leadwork to create some of the most intense riffing in technical death metal. As I stated, there are a few experimental elements on display here, one of them being bassist Paolo's clean vocals. These cleans have gotten mixed reaction within their fanbase, but while they aren't the best i've ever heard, they fit the music quite well. There's a few other experimental elements here and there as well, such as the violin on opener "Thru Our Scars". The At the Gates cover and the classical piece at the end of the album are also nice touches as well.

I know most of you probably expected "Oracles" if this band was gonna get on here, but to me, Mafia is the real highlight of the band's output. This album personifies the intense beauty that Fleshgod are able to create in their music.

Examples:
Thru Our Scars
Abyssal
Conspiracy of Silence

Last edited by AnataFan4Life; 08-18-2012 at 09:12 AM.