Bob Seger -- Saginaw, MI -- November 19th, 2014
Ace Frehley -- Uncasville, CT -- November 21st, 2014
Nuclear War Now! Fest IV -- Berlin, Germany -- November 7-8th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 08-25-2011, 05:43 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroRob View Post
The Faceless? Gorguts? Atheist? Demilich?
Yeah, what's the list so far? If there's no Faceless in it... I'll be mad!
Old 08-25-2011, 06:20 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

lol at these tards thinking The Faceless deserves a spot with Gorguts, Demilich, Atheist, etc.
12/16 - Pallbearer
12/18 - Orange Goblin OR Wolvhammer
Old 08-26-2011, 06:51 AM
and you can never quarantine the past

not a huge tech-death fan, at all, but your descriptions make me want to listen to these albums Which is obviously the best compliment you could get...

as far as tech-death goes, I really like Origin, Neuraxis, and Gorod, and that's pretty much it, so it would be cool if one of those bands' albums was on here
Old 08-26-2011, 08:18 AM
Look at me now, using torches of fire, look higher than anyone else, I am the great juggler!

3. Augury - Fragmentary Evidence

Most tech-death fans probably wouldn't even have this album in their top "whatever" list, let alone having it ABOVE Concealed, but this album has actually grown to be one of my favorites in the genre. When I first heard that Augury had another round of celestial themed progressive/technical death metal headed our way, I was quite excited, especially with how awesome Concealed already was. However, I never expected something of THIS magnitude.

This record has quite possibly the best use of dynamics I have ever heard on a tech-death record. These songs have a LOT of things going on in them, which explains the longer song lengths. One minute they are tearing you apart with insane blasting and brutal riffs, and the next they could be riding on a melody, acoustic guitars, or an atmospheric section. I feel the difference in dynamics is stronger here than on their previous record, and so is the extraterrestrial atmosphere. Every song gives off a feeling of exploring the unknown. It's hard to describe, but it manages to capture the mystical, celestial atmosphere of Concealed and strengthen it, making everything more varied and textured.

The guitarwork is amazing. One thing you can tell is that their technicality has increased from Concealed, but so has their compositional ability and creativity. This album has a lot of catchy, headbangeable riffs, ranging from brutal, shredding riffs, to the more noodly, proggy sections in songs like "Orphans of Living". The acoustic breaks have an almost folkish atmosphere to them, and there's also a lot of clean guitar sections. These sections have a very jazzy, mystical sound, and do well to tie together the more abrasive parts of the songs. This record also has more guitar solos than their previous one, but don't mistake them for being mindless wank, as the leadwork is very moving, a good example being the amazing solo that opens up "Skyless". The solos are mostly neoclassical like their last album, but they seem more memorable on this record, and are never thrown in for the sake of having a solo. While the band no longer has the female vocalist, Patrick's vocal range sounds better than ever. His lows are more brutal, his highs are more terrifying, and his cleans are more moving. This record also makes use of a few guest singers, such as Aborted's Sven De Caluwe and Leilindel of Unexpect. This can sometimes be a risky thing to do, but on Fragmentary Evidence, they are used tastefully, and never sound like they were just tacked on just to have guest vocalists. Unfortunately, this is the last album where Augury would have fretless bass sensation Forrest before he left to join Beyond Creation, but boy did he go out with a BANG. This is by far his best performance in his career so far. His smooth, wavy basslines hold the songs together like an adhesive, shown is songs like "Simian Cattle" or the classy bass solo in "Aetheral".

On this album, Augury has shattered the boundaries they already set on Concealed, by making the songs even more captivating and adding more variety and textures to move the songs forward. It's hard to explain, but trust me, this album is just fucking GOOD.

P.S. Oversee the Rebirth. Listen to it. ALL OF IT

Examples:
Simian Cattle
Orphans of Living
Jupiter to Ignite
Sovereigns Unknown
Skyless
Oversee the Rebirth
Old 08-26-2011, 08:34 AM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Listening to Oversee the Rebirth right now. This shit is gooooooood.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:45 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
lol at these tards thinking The Faceless deserves a spot with Gorguts, Demilich, Atheist, etc.
Nice pick with Augury, Fragmenting Evidence is such a great record. Jupiter To Ignite and Simian Cattle especially standout to me, the bass is
12/21 TRC/DI
12/27 Four Year Strong

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 08-26-2011, 09:09 AM
WELCOME TO THE WEST COAST

Thats definitely one of my favorite album covers ever! For some reason I do like FE more than Concealed but I havent given the latter too many listens
Old 08-26-2011, 10:19 AM
Look at me now, using torches of fire, look higher than anyone else, I am the great juggler!

Glad to see this album is being so well received. It's pretty underrated, but I love it.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:31 PM
N00B

I have listened to Concealed and liked it quite a bit. I will have to check this one out as well.

#2 maybe Leading Vision and #1 obviously Conductors
10/3 Anathema/ Alcest
10/4 Mark Lanegan
11/1 Dax Riggs
11/8 LOG/KSE
12/12 High on Fire
2/22 DT/OG
Old 08-27-2011, 07:19 AM

2. Obscura - Omnivium

You guys didn't think I was going to forget about this, did you?

I honestly didn't know if it would have been possible for Obscura to top an album like Cosmogenesis. That album had all the makings of not only an amazing tech-death record, but an amazing metal record in general, and was easily a highlight of 2009. So when they announced that they had a new album in the works, expectations were obviously very high, and they had a pretty high bar to raise.

Well, those expectations were surpassed, and the bar was risen even HIGHER.

This is without a doubt Obscura's most progressive album to date. With this album, Obscura move forward with a bit more of a darker sound. This album's ominous, cosmic atmosphere is a lot stronger than on Cosmogenesis. While their last album was a well done mixture of old and new, this time we find Obscura discovering their own sound. One thing I really like about this album is that even though all of the songs are tied to a concept (Friedrich Schelling's "On Nature's Connection to the Spirit World), each song is distinct. Every song has something that makes it stand out from the rest of the songs. Whether it be the acoustic dynamics of "Septuagint", or "Ocean Gateways" and it's sludgy, twisting crawl, or even the dissonant, warped atmosphere of the black metal influenced "Velocity", every song has something in it that will make you want to listen to it again.

Another new aspect of the album is the use of seven string guitars. They really give the riffs and solos THAT much more impact. Speaking of which, there are some great riffs on this album. Steffan and Christian really stepped up their game in that regard, writing some amazing riffs that blow you away with their technicality, yet they are very well structured and will stick in your head. Christian handles most of the lead guitar on this album. The soloing is some of the best in the genre, HANDS DOWN. The solo in "Vortex Omnivium" has to be one of my favorite guitar solos of all time. Steffan's vocals are more or less the same as they were on the last record, but he does experiment a bit on this album with things like pitch shifted vocals and just a bit more clean vocoder vocals than on Cosmogenesis. On bass we sadly have Thesseling's final performance with Obscura, but boy is it a FANTASTIC performance. Just listen to the beautiful bass solo in the aforementioned "Septuagint" to see what I mean. I'm not sure where the hell he comes up with stuff like this, but few can match his level of skill and creativity with the instrument. Hannes does an EXCELLENT job. Not only has he managed to upstage both his performance on Necrophagist's "Epitaph", but also his performance on Obscura's previous record! His blasting is tastefully used and is faster than it's ever been in his entire career. His technical chops are better here than on anything else he's done, with amazing usage of fills and tempo changes.

Omnivium is truly a testament to one of my favorite genres of music. With extremely talented musicians at the helm who have a penchant for amazing songwriting, Obscura have crafted one of my personal favorite records. Bravo gentlemen, bravo.

Examples:
Septuagint
Vortex Omnivium
Ocean Gateways
Prismal Dawn
Velocity
Aevum