Judas Priest -- Rochester, NY -- October 1st, 2014
Fleetwood Mac -- Minneapolis, MN -- September 30th, 2014
The Story So Far -- Lawrence, KS -- September 30th, 2014
Coheed and Cambria -- Boston, MA -- September 28th, 2014
Vixen -- Madrid, Spain -- September 27th, 2014

Old 08-03-2011, 02:55 PM
In Search of Truth

Queensryche -- Allentown, PA -- August 2nd, 2011

I actually only decided to go to this show about 48 hours prior to it. I had seen Queensryche 5 times previously, and it's no real secret that I don't particularly care for their post-Empire material. But at only $18 and only 10 minutes from my house, I couldn't refuse.

The venue (Crocodile Rock Cafe) continued to uphold its reputation as easily the worst venue I've ever been to in just about every aspect possible. They usually have 2 entrances to the venue - a front entrance for 21+ people, and an "Under 21" entrance on the side of the building. Well, after having been in line at the Under 21 door for about 45 minutes, venue staff decide to finally tell us that they're not using that door, so we had to go get in the other line about 25 minutes before the doors opened. So much rather than being on the rail as we should've been, we were a couple of rows of people back, which turned out to be OK, but nevertheless, it's the principle. Also, in all of the advertising for the show, they mentioned no support band, but of course, there was one, and they sucked pretty hard.
Queensryche actually came on at 8:45, and the show lasted until almost 10:45. The sound was decent (good, considering this venue's sound is normally absolute shit), and the performance was very solid. This was my first time seeing the band since Parker Lundgren has been on 2nd guitar, and overall I was quite happy. One of the pleasant surprises to me was that the original arrangements of "The Lady Wore Black" and "Jet City Woman" are finally back, as they should be. Also, the band actually played all of "Real World", which was incredible.
Some of the post-Empire tunes went over much better than I was expecting - namely "Right Side of My Mind", which was actually great. "The Hands" was very solid as expected, and I didn't mind "At 30,000 Feet" much either, despite having not liked it previously. Most of the others were pretty much what I expected, and the set took a LONG time to get any kind of momentum to it. But from "Real World" on it was a very good show all-around. The band certainly did well to disprove my long-standing theory that they weren't worth seeing if not doing a Mindcrime performance. I guess it just took seeing them on a small stage in an intimate environment to make me feel that way. Overall, a very good show. This will probably be the last time I ever see them due to lack of interest at this point, but it was very good.

Setlist:
01 Get Started
02 Damaged
03 I Don't Believe in Love
04 Hit the Black
05 The Hands
06 A Dead Man's Words
07 At 30,000 Feet
08 Rhythm of Hope
09 Real World
10 NM 156
11 Screaming in Digital
12 The Lady Wore Black
13 Walk in the Shadows
14 The Right Side of My Mind
15 Around the World
16 Silent Lucidity
Encore:
17 Jet City Woman
18 Empire
19 Eyes of a Stranger / Anarchy X-tra
Old 08-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Headbanger

Just curious. Did they play all of NM 156 and Screaming in Digital or the medley? I'd probably go just to hear those 2 songs.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:10 PM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

My buddy from PA has told me some horror stories about that dump. So your hatred for it doesn't suprise me.

11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm (?)
11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 08-04-2011, 04:24 AM
N00B

They really need to start closing with "Queen of the Ryche"
Old 08-04-2011, 05:57 AM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
Just curious. Did they play all of NM 156 and Screaming in Digital or the medley? I'd probably go just to hear those 2 songs.
Full songs. The solo section of NM156 may have been slightly abridged as I recall, but Screaming in Digital was absolutely in full.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:23 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

The small stage and intimate environment may have had something (or even a lot) to do with it, but also don't discount low expectations as a primary factor in why you may have enjoyed the show more than you thought you would. That kind of thing happens to me all the time, and not just with music. Movies are another area of entertainment where low expectations have saved the day on more than one occasion for me.

Having said this, I'm surprised Ravenheart isn't thrilled at every gig or movie he sees.

Oh, and for the record, this is me making a good-natured, civil post in a thread that (1) you started, and (2) is focused on a band I care absolutely nothing about. Just felt like pointing that out.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:20 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Having said this, I'm surprised Ravenheart isn't thrilled at every gig or movie he sees.
Sometimes low expectations are accurate

13/10 The Skull
29/10 Saint Vitus
6/11 Gilby Clarke
Old 08-04-2011, 08:01 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Full songs. The solo section of NM156 may have been slightly abridged as I recall, but Screaming in Digital was absolutely in full.
Cool deal.

Tags
queensryche