Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014

Old 07-28-2011, 04:56 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

New ZZ TOP

New album is finished and being mixed for a 4th quarter 2011 release.

First new song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn7boyyKHQA

Not impressed. Horrible radio-friendly chorus and a lack of gritty Mescalero-ish heaviness.

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Old 07-28-2011, 05:42 AM
N00B

I'm not even a big ZZ Top and I even know that chorus is way too modern and sounds like something Rascall flatts would do.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:29 AM
Concert Veteran

Not that great of a song. Plus, who cares is the chorus is radio friendly or not? It's not like ZZ Top hasn't wrote plenty of radio friendly stuff in the past.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
Not that great of a song. Plus, who cares is the chorus is radio friendly or not? It's not like ZZ Top hasn't wrote plenty of radio friendly stuff in the past.
"Written". And actual ZZ Top fans care. The radio stuff from the '80s is not what ZZ fans want. And even with that stuff, none of it was as AOR-sounding as this chorus.

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Old 07-28-2011, 08:26 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
And actual ZZ Top fans care. The radio stuff from the '80s is not what ZZ fans want. And even with that stuff, none of it was as AOR-sounding as this chorus.
I agree with you about how the chorus sounds but I wasn't just referring to their 80s material. They have several songs from the 70s that are radio friendly to. In fact a number of them are classic rock radio staples.

Also, after they started going back to their old school style with Recycler, they still had some huge hits with C&S, MHIM and Doubleback. Same thing with Pinchusion on the next album. SJKM and WUWT got some solid airplay to when Rhythmeen came out.

The point i'm trying to make is that weather it was the old school blues rock sound or the sound from the 80s they've always had radio hits. So, it's no surprise to me that they're trying to get one again.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
I agree with you about how the chorus sounds but I wasn't just referring to their 80s material. They have several songs from the 70s that are radio friendly to. In fact a number of them are classic rock radio staples.

Also, after they started going back to their old school style with Recycler, they still had some huge hits with C&S, MHIM and Doubleback. Same thing with Pinchusion on the next album. SJKM and WUWT got some solid airplay to when Rhythmeen came out.

The point i'm trying to make is that weather it was the old school blues rock sound or the sound from the 80s they've always had radio hits. So, it's no surprise to me that they're trying to get one again.
Some of their old songs have become radio hits, due to the notoriety of ZZ Top, but they weren't written to be radio hits (as this one blatantly is), and certainly weren't radio hits at the time. Barely had any hits at all before 'Eliminator'. The solid airplay lasted through 'Afterburner' and 'Recycler', and that's why that period is considered so much lower by fans than any other, but the band dutifully include some of those hits in the live set just for the losers who don't know the other songs.

I would have said 'Pincushion' only got airplay for the same reason. Purely notoriety. And don't forget, you're talking exclusively about the US. ZZ Top songs that aren't 'Legs' or 'Sharp Dressed Man' are NEVER played on the radio elsewhere.

I'm not surprised they're trying to write another hit either. But I'm still disappointed in them for doing it. Especially when the song sucks. I really wanted them to stick with the Rhythmeen/Mescalero/Antenna sound.

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Old 07-28-2011, 10:41 AM
That Guy

It's ZZ Top. It's not like they are going to win over new fans with this song on mainstream radio. They've been around long enough, let them do what they do, it's still ZZ Top.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:21 PM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

It's kinda radio friendly too. I'll admit. I'm still more ok w/ hearing ZZ Top trying to get back on radio than I am just about anyother band that's still around from that time. Love the verses. Chorus is a bit much but it's only 1 track.

And ravenheart I'm on board w/ the Mescalero comments. I really liked that album. IMO the title track off Mescalero was the best thing they'd done in almost 20 years. I'm hopeful that rest of album will be a step up from this. I'm just happy there will be a new album. I expect big things. Last I'd heard this was going to be a Rick Rubin produced album but things might have changed or I could be wrong. New album = more touring, living in the midwest it's a guarantee I'll have opportunity to see them.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
It's ZZ Top. It's not like they are going to win over new fans with this song on mainstream radio. They've been around long enough, let them do what they do, it's still ZZ Top.
Precisely. So stop trying to write radio hits and make better songs.

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Old 07-29-2011, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300%_Density View Post
Last I'd heard this was going to be a Rick Rubin produced album but things might have changed or I could be wrong.
It's Rick Rubin "executive produced", whatever that means in the context of music. I never see his involvement as a good thing.

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary