Rainbow Bar & Grill 42nd Anniversary -- West Hollywood, CA -- April 13th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 07-16-2011, 06:43 AM
not the mama

A Perfect Circle -- New York, NY -- July 15th, 2011

July 15, 2011
Beacon Theater, New York

Opener: Red Bacteria Vacuum

So I have been a big fan of Maynard James Keenan's projects for a couple of years now. I guess you could say they were my gateway to good music. A Perfect Circle went on hiatus way before I was into them but now they are back touring and might have some new material on the way. I was a little skeptical at first, mainly due to the what...$110 ticket, still they might never come back after this so I had to see them. So I seen Tool live before but that was a disappointing night due to a shitty setlist and a really obnoxious crowd. APC decided to hit NYC twice - one at Hammerstein Ballroom (which has GA), and the other at Beacon Theater (which is seated). I decided to go with the Beacon Theater show because it's a really beautiful venue with a great sound system and I figured the crowd would be a lot more well classed. My seat was Orch 4 Seat N which is the last seat in a row very close to the stage. It was great since I just stood out in the aisle the whole show and didn't have to worry about anyone blocking my view.

Red Bacteria Vacuum - So an awesome band is always picked as openers for any one of MJK's bands. Here we have Red Bacteria Vacuum, an 3-piece all girl Japanese hardcore punk band. You can label them with the "riot grrrl" tag if you will. I have tried some American riot grrrl bands but man is that shit annoying, a bunch of chicks screaming there heads off. But this is a Japanese band, and Japanese chicks are fucking awesome so in the end I was probably bound to love them. I was curious as to watch an APC crowds reaction was to this music, you come on the internet and it's all hate. Live they were surprisingly well received. The girls were hilarious, could barely speak English and were teaching the crowd some Japanese. I loved them. Their music was awesome and a good portion of the crowd was really into them. I would love to see them at a GA venue sometime. Also the drummer has a really weird banana shaped drum set. - 4/5

A Perfect Circle - Next up was APC. Going into the show I wasn't excited as I should have been. Maybe it was because I am going to the COB/DTP show the next day and needed to save my energy for that. But it was mainly for the setlist they have been playing on this tour. I remember seeing Billy Howerdel on Twitter claiming that this was a late eMOTIVe tour. I hoped it wasn't true but eventually setlists started popping up and it looked like he wasn't joking. It's not that I hate eMOTIVe but it's just really fucking stupid to just pull that out of your ass, not even telling us when the tour began. They toured the west coast in late 2010 and did a special 3 night show type of deal where they would play one of their albums in its entirety each night. Why couldn't we get that deal? Either way all I wanted to in particula was my two favorite songs "3 Libras" and "Orestes".

So they started their set with "Annihilation". eMOTIVe is a much more experimental album with a more industrial feel to it, I figured that a lot of the songs would be a lot more interesting live. Maynard's voice on "Annihilation" for example has this morbid sounding effect, live he sung it more passionately and it sounded much better. But "Gimme Gimme Gimme" which uses a similar effect honestly sounded fucking stupid live since it wasn't as demented. A lot of the other eMOTIVe songs consisted of jams which were cool to watch but the crowd was much more active every time a Mer de Noms or Thirteenth Step song came on. Remember how I said all I wanted was "3 Libras" and "Orestes"? Well those were the two songs tormenting me all night. I was disappointed to learn that the 3 Libras they were playing was the All Main Courses Mix from aMOTION. It's a lot heavier and industrial sounding than the original, which is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. Overall it was really awkward. The crowd didn't know how to react, they are hearing lyrics to an Mer de Noms song but everything sounds so different. Nobody listens to aMOTION. So that sucked. Next was the frustrating wait for "Orestes", they were playing it but swapping it out every couple of nights. I didn't see it in the last few shows so I figured I had a pretty good chance of hearing it. I was tormented as each new song started, trying to figure out what each song was/if it was replaced. Then they played it. And it was incredible. Honestly made my night. C'mon Billy's extended guitar solo near the end, WOW! Next was "Passive" which was great, it's the only song from eMOTIVe that every APC fan agrees is great so obviously the crowd was way more appreciative for that than any of the other songs played from the album. They ended their set with a brand new song "By and Down". It's always awkward hearing new stuff live. Earlier this year I saw Glassjaw play their Coloring Book EP when it wasn't released and thought it was boring live because nobody moves, then they released it and it's one of my favorite releases of the year. Hopefully APC releases this song soon. Overall it was a pretty great show. The band was very lively and fun to watch. It probably would have been better crowd wise if they stuck to more Mer de Noms and Thirteenth Step songs but I sure enjoyed myself regardless. - 4/5

Annihilation
Imagine
Weak and Powerless
The Hollow
What's Going On
People Are People
The Outsider
Peace, Love, and Understanding
When the Levee Breaks
Blue
3 Libras (All Main Courses Mix)
The Package
Gimme Gimme Gimme
Orestes
Passive
Counting Bodies Like Sheep to the Rhythm of the War Drum
Fiddle and the Drum
By and Down
Old 07-16-2011, 07:20 AM
N00B

youre not alone in your frustration with this tour. many many people have been complaining about the shady, cashgrab feel of the whole thing. the bait & switch element is hard to ignore when first they waited till the last minute to tell us Freese wasnt gonna be on drums, and then waiting till after the shows sold out and the first one happened to tell us it was an Emotive tour. fuck maynard and his entire approach to Tool & APC over the last 4 years. glad i decided not to get tix to this bullshit tour.
TBS/Used-4/21
Architects-5/5
Foals-5/6
Graveyard-5/11
Mastodon/Gojira-5/15
Old 07-16-2011, 08:49 AM
not the mama

Uh huh, people call Puscifer MJK's troll project but I honestly think musically he is way more interested in that than he is with Tool/APC.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:26 AM
From beyond beyond the thunder dome

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
youre not alone in your frustration with this tour. many many people have been complaining about the shady, cashgrab feel of the whole thing. the bait & switch element is hard to ignore when first they waited till the last minute to tell us Freese wasnt gonna be on drums, and then waiting till after the shows sold out and the first one happened to tell us it was an Emotive tour. fuck maynard and his entire approach to Tool & APC over the last 4 years. glad i decided not to get tix to this bullshit tour.
I honestly didn't know Freese wasn't going to be drumming until about a month after I bought the tickets. Then when the setlist was released from the first night I thought it was fake and some fan was messing with us, only to find out it was the horrible truth. Plus, opening with Imagine is just weird, it should be the closing song, it would be like Watain opening with Waters of Ain. Think of the crowd reaction if they opened with Judith, now that would be a show to see.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:21 AM
N00B

yep, agreed 100%. But Maynard could give a fuck what anyone thinks or wants, so if you're a fan of his great vocal & lyrical ability, you ust have to take whatever he doles out. fans can go fuck themselves almost 100% of the time in his eyes. The only cool thing for the fans he's done in recent memory was agree to start last summer's Tool shows with Third Eye.
TBS/Used-4/21
Architects-5/5
Foals-5/6
Graveyard-5/11
Mastodon/Gojira-5/15
Old 07-16-2011, 12:41 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

We're just due for a new Tool album, its past time. Stop making wine, Maynard!
Old 07-16-2011, 12:48 PM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
We're just due for a new Tool album, its past time. Stop making wine, Maynard!
Maynard said he won't be making another Tool or APC full length again. He feels that he should just release random eps or singles for the two bands from this point on. New music is always great to hear and this may cause us to hear it sooner than later, but the whole idea is still kind of lame.
6/13-Goddamn Gallows
8/28-8/31-Muddy Roots
Old 07-16-2011, 12:50 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegantopher View Post
Maynard said he won't be making another Tool or APC full length again. He feels that he should just release random eps or singles for the two bands from this point on. New music is always great to hear and this may cause us to hear it sooner than later, but the whole idea is still kind of lame.
When and where did he say this? That fucker.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:01 PM
N00B

he never said that about anything. BILLY said that in a way about APC, and nothig like that has been said about Tool by anyone. Tool will have an album out at some point next year, it's been stated numerous times.
TBS/Used-4/21
Architects-5/5
Foals-5/6
Graveyard-5/11
Mastodon/Gojira-5/15
Old 07-16-2011, 01:13 PM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

Goddamn, I wish I had tickets to LA Rising instead ;__;
3/15 Gogol Bordello

Tags
a perfect circle