Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Downset -- Albany, NY -- July 24th, 2014
Megadeth -- Tolmin, Slovenia -- July 25th, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Tinley Park, IL -- July 24th, 2014
Queen -- Columbia, MD -- July 20th, 2014
Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 07-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Thumbs up Origin -- Cleveland, OH -- July 6th, 2011

Venue: Peabody's
Source: Yours Truly / jd091

I arrived too late to see Abysmal Dawn because of traffic, and parking was an absolute whore (The Tribe was playing the Yankees - which we won 5-3 - and there were several other special events going on around the venue as well). (See JD's post further down the page.)

Vital Remains
Where Is Your God Now? / Icons of Evil
Savior to None, Failure for All
Hammer Down the Nails
Let the Killing Begin / Dechristianize

I don't have the set list for Hate Eternal, but they were heavy as fuck and I liked them. (See JD's post further down the page.)

The Origin set was similar to what has been posted recently, but in a slightly different order (plus, we got "The Burner" ). Here is my best shot at it - I will try to clean it up and post some more details of the show tomorrow when I have some time. I had a hard time set-listing this time around, because I was in the front row taking pictures & video, dodging / helping stage divers and shouting in Jason Keyser's face the whole time (speaking of which...note to James Lee...you have officially been replaced, bitch).

Origin
Expulsion of Fury
Purgatory --> Conceiving Death
Wrath of Vishnu
Vomit You Out
Implosion of Eternity
Staring From the Abyss
Finite
The Burner
Swarm --> Saligia
The Aftermath
Antithesis
Portal

Last edited by Natrlhi; 07-09-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:32 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

07/31 - Warped
08/01 - Cannabis Corpse
Old 07-06-2011, 09:33 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

I'm too tired to post much here right now, but I'll look up Hate Eternal's tomorrow and give my of the concert. Fucking awesome.

Fun hanging with ya, too! I hope I didn't jump on you when I dived, I was trying to avoid where you were at.

And OH MY LORD PORTAL. THAT WAS INCREDIBLE.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:57 AM
N00B

Awesome, this mean that hate eternal is probably headlining tonight in Toronto, so unbelievably stoked for this
Old 07-07-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
I'm too tired to post much here right now, but I'll look up Hate Eternal's tomorrow and give my of the concert.
Feel free to weigh in on any of the other set lists, too. I've got nothing for AD, the Vital set needs confirming, and there's even a hole or two in the Origin set. Like I said above, I was more in it for having fun last night than for trying to remember the set list. I've seen Origin three times now, so it was high time I had some fucking fun and turned my brain off for once at a show.

Quote:
Fun hanging with ya, too! I hope I didn't jump on you when I dived, I was trying to avoid where you were at.
Ditto. I tried to catch you after the show for a metalsetlists photo op, but you were running to your car like it was on fire. We'll have to do it next time. (Speaking of photos, I got some pics and vids with you in them...gotta download that shit and maybe post something online later.)

Quote:
And OH MY LORD PORTAL. THAT WAS INCREDIBLE.
Saligia was fucking tits, too. Told ya.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Feel free to weigh in on any of the other set lists, too. I've got nothing for AD, the Vital set needs confirming, and there's even a hole or two in the Origin set. Like I said above, I was more in it for having fun last night than for trying to remember the set list. I've seen Origin three times now, so it was high time I had some fucking fun and turned my brain off for once at a show.

Ditto. I tried to catch you after the show for a metalsetlists photo op, but you were running to your car like it was on fire. We'll have to do it next time. (Speaking of photos, I got some pics and vids with you in them...gotta download that shit and maybe post something online later.)

Saligia was fucking tits, too. Told ya.
Ah, sorry! It was late, and I wanted to get home since I had to get up around 6:30 for work. Forgot about that. I'll catch you at Obscura. Saligia was absolutely crazy.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:03 AM

Ok, sets for the other bands:

Abysmal Dawn: (I'm pretty sure these are the songs, not 100% sure of the order)
Programmed to Consume
Compulsory Resurrection?
Pixilated Ignorance
Manufactured Humanity?
Leveling the Plane of Existence
In Service of Time

Vital Remains:
Icons of Evil
Hammer Down the Nails
Dechristianize

Both Dechristianize and Icons of Evil had like, epic 2 minute intros played beforehand.

Hate Eternal:
Rebirth
The Eternal Ruler
Thorns Of Acacia
Behold Judas
Lake Ablaze
Bringer of Storms
Haunting Abound
The Art of Redemption
Phoenix Amongst the Ashes
Tombeau (Le Tombeau de la Fureur et des Flammes)
I, Monarch
King of All Kings

The underlined songs I know for a fact that they played. I'm just familiar with their new stuff. The rest, I filled in from srm90's set of the LA show, since I assume it was the same.

As for Origin, I think you had it right for the most part. It might have been a little out of order in the middle, I forget. Expulsion, Purgatory, and Conceiving Death were definitely played first. I know for a fact that they played Swarm and Vomit You Out.

Review will follow shortly.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:43 AM

So, my first show back in Cleveland in a long time! Thankfully, Cleveland did not disappoint, and I still feel that Cleveland's shows are just a little bit crazier and more passionate than the shows in Chicago.

I knew the Tribe game was gonna hold up traffic, so I left really early with my friends to reach Peabody's. We got there around 6:25, and although the doors were supposed to open at 6:30, they didn't let us in until about 6:45 or so. One of the local bands were playing already as we were walking in. Thankfully (something I don't remember since the couple times I've been to Peabody's in the past it was winter), they had a fenced in side patio area for people to hang out, smoke, and sit down at some picnic tables. You could hear the bands perfectly out there, so we hung out there until Abysmal Dawn came on. The first opening band got really butthurt when they left the stage, saying: "I just wanna thank Peabody's for being great, and making us start playing 15 minutes before the doors opened so you only heard half our set. Thank You." Ouch...

Nat, it sucks that you missed Abysmal Dawn, because they were fan-fucking-tastic. I had heard a bit of their album stuff before and it was solid, but now I'm a huge fan after seeing them. My biggest surprise of the night. Super tight, and the lead guitarist/singer could shred really well. They also managed to get some pretty crazy pits going on, probably the best of the night next to Origin. Definitely a band to keep an eye on!

After they got off, I found Nat and we hung out until Vital Remains came on. I feel much wiser now!

Surprisingly, I almost felt like there were less people hanging out in the venue to check out Vital Remains than there were for Abysmal Dawn. The pits weren't as crazy, either. Nevertheless, they were solid live. The sound was a bit off and bass-heavy, but they put on a good show. They tried to get people stage diving, but there were only 2 rows of people up front and it didn't end too well... I tried it once, and I think I seriously hurt some girl in the face on accident. Thats the second time I've done that! We managed to get some nice, "SATAN! SATAN!" Chants going on, and the lead singer was pretty funny. Since the door outside was open and it was still broad daylight, he was like, "Ususally we only come out after dark, since its evil, but we'll make an exception here!"

After another break, Hate Eternal came on for a solid hour. To be honest, my first impression of them was "this is HEEEEEEAVY", and some good pits, then about halfway through the set I got a little bored. Their songs kind of meld together, and are very "noisy" as opposed to "riffy". Eric was also having awful technical difficulties, and his guitar cut out for a good 2 minutes at one point, and they had to just kind of stop the song to fix it. I'm glad I saw them, but I'm also really glad they didn't headline.

And then... Orign. Oh. My. God. These guys were just incredible. I think they've become my favorite death metal band I've seen live, over Nile. And I'll give it to Jason Keyser; that show wouldn't have been even a quarter as crazy as it was last night if it weren't for his stage presence and getting the crowd involved. The show started off a little bit slow, and then soon enough Jason was calling for the crowd to go crazy, pulling people up on stage to dive, getting circle pits going, etc. There were a bunch more people up by the stage, so the diving ended up actually working. There was also this little kid, no older than 10 or 12, dressed up in corpsepaint, who kept coming up on the stage. Jason loved him, and just wanted him to stand with the band and headbang the whole time. He must have stagedived 20 times, too, which was fun because he weighed nothing.

Multiple times, Jason pulled a bunch of people up on the stage to just headbang with the band. For Portal, there must have been 20 people up on the stage banging their head with the band. I stood right behind Paul Ryan most of that time, kind of just in awe from his amazingness. I was also in the front for the last third of the set, and Jason put the mic in my mouth a bunch of times. A couple times I was just like, "WAAAAGHGRGH GRRAGHGHGHGH", and I think it sounded alright, but before they played Antithesis, I yelled out, "fucking Antithesis!" as Jason was talking with the crowd. He then came up to me and was like, "What was that song you wanted?" And put the mic in my face as I yelled it again, and they started the song right afterwards... I also got the mic in my face for the "I am become death, the destroyer of worlds part", which pretty much was the greatest moment of my fucking life.

In the end, crazy awesome concert. I'm so glad it was in a place like Peabody's where we could go crazy and have a fun time on stage, as opposed to the Nazi Regime of security that is Reggie's in Chicago. Its gonna be hard ranking my concerts this year (Dillinger, Amon Amarth, Terror, Magrudergrind, Alcest and Enslaved, Opeth...) but this might be a contender for the best time I've had all year. DAMN YOU, 2011!
Old 07-07-2011, 09:55 AM
and you can never quarantine the past

Vital Remains didn't have great sound when I saw them either. Still fun to see, but ehhh. "Dechristanize" is their only good song anyway.

I guess now I'm not that sad that Hate Eternal isn't at my date. And I'm REALLY excited for Origin now, almost as much as Revocation! Everyone on here's saying they're so good live...

Always love your reviews man.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Vital Remains:
Icons of Evil
Hammer Down the Nails
Dechristianize

Both Dechristianize and Icons of Evil had like, epic 2 minute intros played beforehand.
The intros for "Icons of Evil" and "Dechristianize" were definitely "Where Is Your God Now?" and "Let the Killing Begin", respectively - just like they are on the albums.

I'll edit the original post accordingly.

Tags
abysmal dawn, hate eternal, origin, vital remains