King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014
Overkill -- West Springfield, VA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA Kick-Off -- Atlanta, GA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 2 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 13th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 1 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 12th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 07-15-2011, 05:36 PM
Meh.

This was the first full Death album I listened to and I LOVE this album. I my opinion, this was their best, so I think Death ended on a high note. The album is great from start to finish with no real filler material. The only qualm I really have about the album is the over used bass-riff thing in Spirit Crusher and Scavenger of Human Sorrow. It sounds too similar and that kind of ticked me off. Regardless, there are two real all-stars on the album: Chuck (duh) and Richard Christy. The drumming on this is phenomenal and fits everything perfectly. I think that Christy gets underrated sometimes, but he should get the credit he deserves. This lineup truly gave a great Death album, and did some awesome work.

Favorite Tracks:
Bite the Pain, Story to Tell, Flesh and the Power it Holds, Painkiller (cover)
Old 07-15-2011, 09:57 PM
N00B

Great album for sure, I love "Voice of the Soul"
10/3 Anathema/ Alcest
10/4 Mark Lanegan
11/1 Dax Riggs
11/8 LOG/KSE
12/12 High on Fire
2/22 DT/OG
Old 07-19-2011, 10:35 AM
Meh.

Funnily enough, after just mentioning it in hellawaits77's thread, it's next on my list. This is probably Cannibal Corpse most technical release to date. The riffs are all over the place, it's fast, it's awesome. The album starts with "Savage Butchery" which starts bashing your face in almost immediately. I LOVE Corpsegrinder's vocal patterns in the beginning, they aren't over the top stuff, but it works. The chorus is awesome too. Next is "Hatchet to the Head". Honestly, in the verse after the chorus, the riff is fucking amazing. Simple, fast palm muted triplets but cool. Just watch a video of that part being played. "Pit of Zombies" comes on, and personally, I don't like this track too much. Maybe it's because it was the only song I knew on the album for a while, but I think I've just overlistened to it. Still a good zombie song though. After comes "Dormant Bodies Bursting". At two minutes exactly, it does what it needs to in that amount of time. The best part comes with Corpsegrinder doing what are probably his deepest lows ever about halfway through the track when he repeats the title. "Compelled to Lacerate" comes on with the great groovy riff in the beginning and it sounds great throughout the track. The next song is "Drowning in Viscera". An alright track overall but I don't find anything special about it. "Hung and Bled" is an awesome track. The beginning sounds like it could have been off Gallery of Suicide as it's a slow one, and it wouldn't surprise me if it was a left over riff from those writing sessions. The verse has Corpsegrinder doing his fast vocals again and the vocal patterns just amaze me. "Sanded Faceless" is the next track on the album and it's your typical Cannibal Corpse song. Pretty standard. Now "Mutation of the Cadaver" comes up. The beginning is almost proggy in it's own way with the bass intro and constant time changes. The chorus is the same way, minus a bass "solo". "When Death Replaces Life" is awesome. Another slower track, but not boring. The beginning sounds kind of creepy with the effects on the lead guitar and atypical chords. The solo is your typical CC solo, lots of wah and indistinguishable notes. The album ends with "Grotesque" and personally, I think it's a great track to end the album with. The ending has Alex Webster doing a tap bass solo, and Corpsegrinder with his progressive low to high scream matching the guitar riff. As a whole, the album is alright, but it has a good amount of technical, catchy songs that make this one of my favorites.

Favorite Tracks:
Hatchet to the Head, Mutation of the Cadaver, Dormant Bodies Bursting, When Death Replaces Life, Grotesque
Old 07-31-2011, 06:39 PM
Meh.

This has to be Buckethead's most relaxing, chill release to date. Lot's of acoustic guitar, clean guitar, some great drums from Brain (as usual) and an overall great release. The only track I don't like on this is "City of Woe", but mainly because it doesn't really fit amongst the other tracks. It has a completely different sound and vibe. This is the perfect album to sleep to, as I've done dozens upon dozens of times in the past. To be blunt, this album is beautiful, for Buckethead at least.

Favorite Tracks:
Chaos of the Unconscious, Sled Ride, Cookies for Santa, Wax Paper
Old 08-10-2011, 10:46 AM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Sorry I'm coming in here late, but boy oh boy, what a list! :highfive:

This is really, really interesting. I'm loving the choice with Abigail William's early album and early Dimmu Borgir. I respect those releases a lot. Personally, I find it really sad that Abigail turned into a generic black metal band; they had an interesting style going for them on their first EP. Cool choice, though.

As for the Whitechapel: interesting choice, as well. I didn't know you even had a shred of respect for deathcore. I'll say that it was a solid release, and they're trying more and more to be accessible to the death metal crowd, and abandoning their scene roots.

Death is awesome, as well. Can't wait to see the rest!
Old 08-13-2011, 09:01 PM
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
Sorry I'm coming in here late, but boy oh boy, what a list! :highfive:

This is really, really interesting. I'm loving the choice with Abigail William's early album and early Dimmu Borgir. I respect those releases a lot. Personally, I find it really sad that Abigail turned into a generic black metal band; they had an interesting style going for them on their first EP. Cool choice, though.

As for the Whitechapel: interesting choice, as well. I didn't know you even had a shred of respect for deathcore. I'll say that it was a solid release, and they're trying more and more to be accessible to the death metal crowd, and abandoning their scene roots.

Death is awesome, as well. Can't wait to see the rest!
Damn I'm just seeing this lol

I agree about Abigail Williams, I personally prefer the older stuff, but the new stuff is alright too.

I LOOOOVEEE Whitechapel lol. I enjoy a bit of deathcore, but so much of the scene is too repetitive and overdone, which is why I enjoyed that CD so much.

My god. The first time I heard this I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It was so new, so enticing, so awesome! Of course I found these guys after hearing that Alex Webster was the bassist so I gave them a shot, and I'm so glad I did. Prog metal with obvious death metal influences, but it works so well. It doesn't get boring with repetitive, long riffs or with oodles and oodles of nonsensical shredding. Ron Jarzombek is a hell of a guitarist and performs excellently on this release. I read somewhere that he uses the 12 note theory on everything, so he doesn't stick to a key, and tries to use every half-interval note possible. It probably isn't that new or innovative for a prog group, but it just think it's interesting. Anyways, I just really enjoy this album, and some of the songs are just unbelievable.

Favorite Tracks:
BLEEDING IN THE BRAIN, Laser Labotomy, Synaptic Plasticity, Adenosine Buildup
Old 08-13-2011, 09:16 PM

Huh. I've heard of Blotted Science before, but have never listened to them. Sounds awesome. I'll remedy that right now, thanks to the MAGICAL STREAMING POWERS OF SPOTIFY!
Old 08-13-2011, 09:21 PM
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
Huh. I've heard of Blotted Science before, but have never listened to them. Sounds awesome. I'll remedy that right now, thanks to the MAGICAL STREAMING POWERS OF SPOTIFY!
YouTube also works y'know?
Old 08-14-2011, 05:56 PM
Meh.

When Mine Eyes Blacken - When Mine Eyes Blacken

From the same man who brings us Exiled from Light, there is this wonderful project. Although some depressive suicidal black metal can be repetitive and boring, this has the repetition, but it's meant to be more ambient. Drums here are the key. A lot of DSBM I've heard has simple drumming, with hi-hat every beat and snare every 2 or 4. I'm not going to lie, I don't mind it, I think it fits well. But with WMEB, it breaks from the tradition and does some extra things. I'm not talking Leviathan-esque drumming here, but other simple stuff, like fast double bass or a fill of all snare. It's really the little stuff here that makes it special. Vocals are typical, he sounds like he's being tortured in a cave, usual guitars with dissonant arpeggios, but the bass is actually audible and present within the mix. There are times when the bass has some cool moving parts that also break from the possibility of boringness. Of course, this may be boring for people who aren't already used to the genre, but with time comes everything. Speaking of time, this is a 48 minute release with only four tracks, the shortest of which is seven and a half minutes. The length of the songs shouldn't deter you though, as I feel they all are the perfect length. Honestly, just listen to it hahaha

Favorite Track:
Secluded Within Sorrow, Solace Awaits
Old 08-14-2011, 07:33 PM

^ sounds like the music Brad masturbates to.

Will check out, though. And Spotify loads much quicker and is more central and neater than YouTube!