King Diamond -- Toronto, Ontario -- October 18th, 2014
Satan -- Toronto, Ontario -- October 17th, 2014
Deicide -- Kansas City, MO -- October 17th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 07-07-2011, 10:16 AM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
The intros for "Icons of Evil" and "Dechristianize" were definitely "Where Is Your God Now?" and "Let the Killing Begin", respectively - just like they are on the albums.

I'll edit the original post accordingly.
Ah, okay. I'm not too familiar with their material, but my friend was. That shall be promptly remedied tonight, along with Abysmal Dawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logAnarchy View Post
Vital Remains didn't have great sound when I saw them either. Still fun to see, but ehhh. "Dechristanize" is their only good song anyway.

I guess now I'm not that sad that Hate Eternal isn't at my date. And I'm REALLY excited for Origin now, almost as much as Revocation! Everyone on here's saying they're so good live...

Always love your reviews man.
Thanks man! :brofist:

To be honest, as much ad I love their new album, Hate Eternal was the band I enjoyed least last night. Origin is the band everybody really needs to see on this tour.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:39 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logAnarchy View Post
Always love your reviews man.
Why thank you, kind sir. You have much faith in me, considering I hadn't even written my review yet.

So here's another review in the same thread - two for the price of one!

Basically everything JD has already indicated is accurate...I'll just add a few more fun details.

I missed the Abysmal Dawn set, as I said. I wanted to see them, but the forces of nature had other plans. Sounds like I have to catch them next time, though. The fans didn't get all that excited about Vital Remains, but they definitely didn't suck. Like JD said, they had some mixing problems with their sound - but still, they were fine as an opening act to what lay ahead. I also agree with JD that Hate Eternal were heavy as fuck - and we had a conversation about that, in fact - but I also agree that their set got a bit boring. I'm thinking they might be a bit better on album, where the listener can hear all the detail and technicality of their playing. Both Erik Rutan and J.J. Hrubocvak (bassist for HE and guitarist for Vile, another good death metal band with an album coming out this year) do make some evil grimaces up there on stage, though, so there's that I guess. Anyways, HE was fun to watch and very, very heavy - and that amounted to yet another decent warm-up for Origin.

Now as everyone has been saying, Origin is the band to see on this tour - hands fucking down. However, I'll take it a bit further than that. First of all, I've seen them twice, both times with vocalist James Lee, whose exit from the band had some folks quite concerned that Origin would be left without a decent frontman. Pshaw, with a capital "P" and a capital "shaw". Fuck no. This new guy Jason Keyser they picked up from Skinless is an absolute beast. Not only does he scream like a banshee and banter with the crowd as well as Lee ever did, but he's an animal on the stage. He runs, struts, climbs, jumps, crawls, headbangs and strikes poses like an angry epileptic on crack. Plus, he involves the crowd on a level that Lee never did. From the very start of the set, he insisted not only that the fans mosh and headbang like crazy, but he practically demanded that they rush the stage and dive off. After only a few folks did so, he started pulling them up out of the crowd himself. Now that's a DIY attitude if I ever saw one.

All this, and it certainly didn't help matters for those who were trying to catch a nap in the back of the venue that the music itself was not only spastically insane and fast, but also brutally heavy and at the same time technically flawless. I swear, these fuckers Paul Ryan (guitar), John Longstreth (drums) and Mike Flores (bass) make it look so easy, too. It just makes me fucking sick. I mean, they don't even look like they're trying, and they're up there playing some of the fastest, most brutal, technical death metal around. All of the other bands were making weird grimaces and had looks on their faces like they were trying to shit a bowling ball, and then there's these guys up there blowing everybody else away with ease, and smiling the whole time. Their fingers (and feet, in John's case) move at light speed, and they stand there and smile at you while they crush your fucking skull into dust. Bastards. Cruel, wonderful bastards.

Anyway, I think you get the idea. I loved these guys.

The song selection was pretty awesome, too. Every one of their studio albums was represented - one from the self-titled, two from "Informis...", two from "Echoes...", four from "Antithesis" and five from "Entity" - which, by the way, is quite possibly their best album yet - you need to stop reading this review, go look up where these guys are playing near you, go to the show, buy the CD and rage your ass off in the pit...NOW!!!

I mean it. Get the fuck out of here and go see this tour, if you know what's good for you.

Horns up,
The Nat

Last edited by Natrlhi; 07-07-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:43 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
After only a few folks did so, he started pulling them up out of the crowd himself. Now that's a DIY attitude if I ever saw one.
Holy fuck! That's awesome!
Old 07-07-2011, 01:44 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Described the energy better than I could. I'm just looking forward to the next time I can see them already. And if you got any good photos or videos, you know, feel free to share 'em

Last edited by jd091; 07-07-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Born Again In Blasphemy

Quote:
(speaking of which...note to James Lee...you have officially been replaced, bitch).
Damn right.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:59 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srm90 View Post
Damn right.
I hated to say it, but it's true. I always liked Lee, but Keyser takes Origin's live presence to a whole new level. I was blown away at how much more fun this show was than the first two times I saw them (which I also fucking loved).
Old 07-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Born Again In Blasphemy

Quote:
I hated to say it, but it's true. I always liked Lee, but Keyser takes Origin's live presence to a whole new level. I was blown away at how much more fun this show was than the first two times I saw them (which I also fucking loved).
I liked Lee's vocals but he wasn't much of a frontman. Jason is a great vocalist and an amazing frontman, which takes Origin's live performance to another level. I saw them a few years ago at Summer Slaughter and that performance doesn't even compare to the one I saw a couple weeks ago.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:19 PM
Born Again In Blasphemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
I also got the mic in my face for the "I am become death, the destroyer of worlds part", which pretty much was the greatest moment of my fucking life.
That was an incredible moment when it happened to me as well.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:03 PM
Hell Bent for Liquor

Quote:
Vital Remains
Where Is Your God Now? / Icons of Evil
Savior to None, Failure for All
Hammer Down the Nails
Let the Killing Begin / Dechristianize
I don't understand fucking around with the intros when you've got such a short set. I say cut them and throw in another actual song for your fans.
01.27 Dark Tranquillity
Old 07-07-2011, 04:29 PM
That Does Not Make Sense!

Im curious to see if Origin gets away with getting people to stagedive at the Ottobar, as they are strict about it. In fact theres a funny attack attack live video where everyones going ape shit, and crowd surfing, but when the little emo kids get on stage they just kinda walk down the stairs afraid to get in trouble

Tags
abysmal dawn, hate eternal, origin, vital remains