Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Godflesh -- San Francisco, CA -- April 20th, 2014
Warrior -- San Marcos, CA -- April 19th, 2014
Impaled -- Oakland, CA -- April 19th, 2014
Tankcrimes Brainsqueeze 2 -- Oakland, CA -- April 18th, 2014
Unearth -- Pontiac, MI -- April 17th, 2014

  #81  
Old 08-02-2011, 09:51 PM
illuminatus917's Avatar
illuminatus917 illuminatus917 is offline
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: the mountains, NC
Posts: 2,837
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
Maybe if no one ever acted on those "perceptions" or used them to harm others, you'd have a point. But we don't live in fantasy world.
I would just stress that there's no concrete model for anything. And while this isn't necessarily suggesting practicing "acceptance," I do suggest the idea that ideals are going to differ because different people perceive the world in different ways, due to different variables, (i.e.: education, environment, experience, culture, etc), and through these things these variables manifest themselves into imprints. And all imprints are subject to change.

Violent actions under a racist pretense might be horrific to you, but to a tribe in India they might be accepted as legitimate. And in reality, as Nietzsche would say, there is no "center" to base perceptions around, or to justify any single perspective of morality. And for this very reason, one person's idea of "what is right or what is wrong" is no more true than another person's idea of "what is right or what is wrong"
__________________
Never whistle while you're pissing.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 08-02-2011, 10:06 PM
llama lom's Avatar
llama lom llama lom is offline
Meh.
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Brockton, MA
Posts: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatus917 View Post
I would just stress that there's no concrete model for anything. And while this isn't necessarily suggesting practicing "acceptance," I do suggest the idea that ideals are going to differ because different people perceive the world in different ways, due to different variables, (i.e.: education, environment, experience, culture, etc), and through these things these variables manifest themselves into imprints. And all imprints are subject to change.

Violent actions under a racist pretense might be horrific to you, but to a tribe in India they might be accepted as legitimate. And in reality, as Nietzsche would say, there is no "center" to base perceptions around, or to justify any single perspective of morality. And for this very reason, one person's idea of "what is right or what is wrong" is no more true than another person's idea of "what is right or what is wrong"
I love you.
__________________
5/20: Rotten Sound
6/10: Torche
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 08-02-2011, 10:13 PM
powerslave_85's Avatar
powerslave_85 powerslave_85 is offline
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Burlington, VT
Posts: 10,967
We're not talking about ingrained aspects of a foreign culture. We're talking about a bunch of American white guys in a heavy metal band. What's their excuse?
__________________
"COLONEL KLINK, WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME?!"
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 08-03-2011, 04:28 AM
jd091's Avatar
jd091 jd091 is offline
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
FETTERED TO FAILURE
BY A FLAWED GENOOOME

Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 08-03-2011, 05:03 AM
zgodt's Avatar
zgodt zgodt is offline
Exit quickly or feel the sting of the pimp hand.
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatus917 View Post
I would just stress that there's no concrete model for anything. And while this isn't necessarily suggesting practicing "acceptance," I do suggest the idea that ideals are going to differ because different people perceive the world in different ways, due to different variables, (i.e.: education, environment, experience, culture, etc), and through these things these variables manifest themselves into imprints. And all imprints are subject to change.

Violent actions under a racist pretense might be horrific to you, but to a tribe in India they might be accepted as legitimate. And in reality, as Nietzsche would say, there is no "center" to base perceptions around, or to justify any single perspective of morality. And for this very reason, one person's idea of "what is right or what is wrong" is no more true than another person's idea of "what is right or what is wrong"
This is all pretty theoretical and wishy-washy, and this kind of argument can be used to wash your hands clean of any horror you like. "Yes, ma'am, Jeffrey Dahmer is eating your son's liver, but there's no "center" to base perceptions around, so his idea of right and wrong is just as true as yours or mine."

I mean, hide behind theory all you want. But it sounds like bullshit to me. And I'm not suggesting they shouldn't have the right to hold their opinion or to spew it in public. I dig me some first amendment freedoms. But what do first amendment advocates always say? The answer to deplorable speech is not censorship, but more and better speech. So if you hear a bunch of racist drivel, and you are a decent person, you shout it down. What does it say about you if, instead, you forgive and embrace it?
__________________
So well informed I don't know where the truth begins.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 08-03-2011, 05:29 AM
larvtard's Avatar
larvtard larvtard is offline
and you can never quarantine the past
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,211
In some ways, black people are genetically inferior (and in some ways, white people are genetically inferior). That's really all what "racist" means.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 08-03-2011, 05:55 AM
jd091's Avatar
jd091 jd091 is offline
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by logAnarchy View Post
In some ways, black people are genetically inferior (and in some ways, white people are genetically inferior). That's really all what "racist" means.
Um, no, not at all...


But let's not have this argument.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 08-03-2011, 06:54 AM
larvtard's Avatar
larvtard larvtard is offline
and you can never quarantine the past
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
Um, no, not at all...


But let's not have this argument.
racist: The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 08-03-2011, 12:10 PM
illuminatus917's Avatar
illuminatus917 illuminatus917 is offline
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: the mountains, NC
Posts: 2,837
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgodt View Post
This is all pretty theoretical and wishy-washy, and this kind of argument can be used to wash your hands clean of any horror you like. "Yes, ma'am, Jeffrey Dahmer is eating your son's liver, but there's no "center" to base perceptions around, so his idea of right and wrong is just as true as yours or mine."

I mean, hide behind theory all you want. But it sounds like bullshit to me. And I'm not suggesting they shouldn't have the right to hold their opinion or to spew it in public. I dig me some first amendment freedoms. But what do first amendment advocates always say? The answer to deplorable speech is not censorship, but more and better speech. So if you hear a bunch of racist drivel, and you are a decent person, you shout it down. What does it say about you if, instead, you forgive and embrace it?
It can be hard to wrap your head around, but I reiterate, it's not based on acceptance or on dismissal or on forgiveness or on embracement. These defeat the purpose. It's based on the realization that no idea, no paradigm, no belief, no anything can be taken as definitively true.

"As long as the word “knowledge” has any meaning, the world is knowable; but it is interpretable otherwise... it has no meaning behind it, but countless meanings."

It's normal for us to want our perceptions to compel other perceptions to accept them as normal, however unfeasible. Everyone is immersed in their own reality tunnel.
__________________
Never whistle while you're pissing.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 08-03-2011, 12:25 PM
powerslave_85's Avatar
powerslave_85 powerslave_85 is offline
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Burlington, VT
Posts: 10,967
Look, it's nice that you took a freshman philosophy class, but that's still a bunch of meaningless bullshit.
__________________
"COLONEL KLINK, WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME?!"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:33 AM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008