11/8 LOG/KSE
12/12 High on Fire
2/22 DT/OG
Old 07-01-2011, 10:17 PM
N00B

Another epic pick
Old 07-03-2011, 05:59 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Rust In Peace would be in my top 10 without a doubt.

The New Order wouldn't be, but it's a damn fine album.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:02 AM
welp

This album is the "newest" album on the list, but ever since I first heard it last year, I knew that it was something special. There is simply nothing else like it, which is one of the things that drew me to it so much. This unique mix of metal and pop was nothing like what I've ever heard before. It was heavy, crushing, grooving, and at the same time melodic, but not in typical metal fashion. Needless to say, I became addicted (HURRRR DURRRRR SEE WAT I DID THARR) to this album. Devin Townsend is one of the most talented vocalists, guitarists, and songwriters in all of fucking music, and he really shines on Addicted. This is arguably Devin's most accessible album, considering how excellently poppy it is underneath all those heavy guitars (you can thank singer Anneke Van Giersbergen for helping with that). Whenever I hear songs like "Bend it like Bender!" or "Ih-Ah!" (Devy appears to have an infatuation with exclamation marks on this record) I think to myself "Fuck, why aren't these songs huge hits?" It's really a damn shame if you ask me. Anyway, there is a reason why this album is so high on my list; It's absolutely fucking incredible from start to finish. Amazing songs, amazing singing from both Devin and Anneke, heavy-as-fuck guitars, and an insanely layered production. I honestly can't recommend this album enough.

Standout Track
Awake!
Old 07-04-2011, 09:10 AM
Rats off to ya

Old 07-04-2011, 07:50 PM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

I definately dig your list Bro

11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm (?)
11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 07-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Born Again In Blasphemy

I need to listen to that.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:04 PM
welp

Quote:
Originally Posted by srm90 View Post
I need to listen to that.
Oh yes you fucking do.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:58 PM
welp

Honorable Mentions

Now, before I go into the top 3, I just want to give some shoutouts to some other albums that I love that didn't make the list.

Goddamn, do I love this album. This is the album where some people claim that Whitesnake sold out and became a hair metal band, and based on how they looked at the time, I can't blame them for that accusation. But the quality of the music is far better than other so called "hair metal" bands. Almost every time I pick up a guitar I immediately start playing the riff from "Bad Boys." All in all, it's a fucking great '80s hard rock/metal album.

Standout Track
Children of the Night

What can I say? It's probably the best melodic death metal album of all time. Every song is killer, the production is great, and it is truly one of the most influential metal albums ever. It's the shit.

Standout Track
Slaughter of the Soul

The album that both Trivium fans and detractors love to hate on. This is the album that got me into the band and it was pretty integral for me becoming the die-hard metal fan I am today. Trivium takes the modern metalcore formula and incorporates thrash, '80s metal, and prog metal influences to create an album that is, dare I say it, unique in a way (in the sense of thrash verses + melodic metalcore choruses). Aside from some of the godawful lyrics and the infinitely cheesy (and not in a good way), second-rate "Dying in your Arms" knockoff known as "This World Can't Tear Us Apart," it's a pretty solid modern metal release that gets waaaaaaaaay more hate than it really deserves.

Standout Track
Ignition

This album = The most pissed off sounding album I know of. Also Slayer's heaviest album. Proof below.

Standout Track.
Payback

The album that nowadays 'Tallica fans are pretty 50/50 on. As it was to a lot of young metal fans, this album was pretty important to me. Not to mention that the second half of the album has some of the band's most underrated songs, such as:

Standout Track
The Struggle Within

The album that got me into heavy music. Often written off by metal fans as "some pop bullshit," this album is really not all that bad. The music might be pretty simple at its core, but the dark, gothic undertones sets it apart from other modern "pop" rock bands. In hindsight, it's pretty crazy to me that they were constantly played on pop radio station when "Bring Me to Life" was their big song given their fairly dark and heavy style. Fallen's got some great, catchy songs that I still love to this day and I owe it everything because without it, I might not have became a metal fan.

Standout Track
Whisper

Daron Malakian's post-System of a Down band (also featuring SOAD drummer John Dolmayan). It's a really solid and underrated album if you ask me. All the songs are pretty simple, but they are catchy as fuck and filled with hooks. One of my favorites from '08.

Standout Track
Babylon

The album that broke SOAD through big time. A modern classic.

Standout Track
Deer Dance

Probably one of the most important albums of the 2000's. This album pioneered in the so-called "New Wave of American Metal" and melodic metalcore scenes. KSE's best album, without a doubt.

Standout Track
Just Barely Breathing
Old 07-08-2011, 06:24 PM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

I dig a bunch of your HM's.

Trivium - The Crusade : I agree there is some filler, but it's my favorite Trivium album. First 2 tracks are simply awesome.

Slayer - God Hates Us All : Fuck yeah. One of my favorite Slayer albums.

Metallica - Metallica : One of my least favorite albums by them, but I agree w/ your comment about the 2nd half. Does have some great tunes, Through The Never, Of Wolf and Man, The God That Failed, The Struggle Within.

SOAD - Toxicity : Hate these assholes now, but this album is a classic. No doubt about it.

11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm (?)
11/25-Slayer (?)