Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014
Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Boris -- Santa Cruz, CA -- August 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 06-19-2011, 09:38 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalDescent View Post
Don't worry, we can still be best frands!
Yeah, when we are old, retired metal heads who hate the young people in Florida.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:35 AM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterguy49 View Post
Yeah, when we are old, retired metal heads who hate the young people in Florida.
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 06-20-2011, 12:08 PM
N00B

good album, give it 7.8 outta 10, on the first listen.will probably pick this up at mayhem fest.
5/11-Behemoth
5/29-Radiohead
6/26-Maiden
7/1-Roger Waters
8/3-Mayhem Fest
9/16-Kiss/Crue
Old 06-22-2011, 09:33 AM
The infection has been removed, the soul of this machine has improved!

First full day listening to this, I am so completely bored. 3 years waiting for this? I really don't know what to make of this at all, I was in the middle of the record and after some random song was over, I shook my head and asked myself "What was the point of that song?".

I highly doubt this album is so technically or creatively brilliant that it got over my head, no chance of that. There's just nothing here for me, I nodded my head a few times here and there, but this all seems like a pointless endeavor and even worse, it now adds to the list of songs in the live set list that will take away of songs from years past that I love.

Completely average album from a band that doesn't know where to go anymore. Here's to hoping for another Passenger record sometime soon to ease the pain and boredom.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:51 PM
the light in the darkness that never ends

After two weeks of this cd I conclude this-

Fear is the Weakness, Ropes, A New Dawn, Darker Times are the only songs I can really see myself listening to in the future.

Despite this, I am fairly confident since In Flames is so good at picking the worst songs of albums to play live and make videos for that joining deliver us will be Where the Dead Ships Dwell, Liberation, The Puzzle, and probably SOAPF as well for live songs/videos.

Compared to ASOP which was utter shit this album is really good. Compared to CC, Soundtrack, and Reroute this album is just ok. Compared to everything Clayman and earlier this album is still shit.

Blew my expectations away after the disaster of ASOP, catchy songs, and a new dawn is maybe their most promising song in 5 years... for what i expected im okay with this album
Old 06-23-2011, 03:39 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maideneer View Post
First full day listening to this, I am so completely bored. 3 years waiting for this? I really don't know what to make of this at all, I was in the middle of the record and after some random song was over, I shook my head and asked myself "What was the point of that song?".

I highly doubt this album is so technically or creatively brilliant that it got over my head, no chance of that. There's just nothing here for me, I nodded my head a few times here and there, but this all seems like a pointless endeavor and even worse, it now adds to the list of songs in the live set list that will take away of songs from years past that I love.

Completely average album from a band that doesn't know where to go anymore. Here's to hoping for another Passenger record sometime soon to ease the pain and boredom.
Fair enough, but I think if you've been expecting more then 2 (being pre-clayman) even in a headlining set list, its probably not going to happen, and it didn't happen when I saw them in late 2009.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:02 AM
N00B

MY review.....

In Flames are my favorite band. The first time I saw them live was in 2002 opening for Slayer and Soulfly right before Reroute came out. Since then I have seen them 9 more times. (ozzfest '05, 4 times touring for come clarity and 4 times touring for ASOP)
This album is better than what I expected, with a title so horrible it's not too tough. I honestly think that Anders is holding this band back. Ever since Soundtrack his vocals and lyrics have been weak. Come Clarity was a very heavy album BUT it is SO obvious that there are distortion effects added to his "screaming." A Sense of Purpose had some great tracks musically but Anders ruined them with his horrible/generic vocal delivery/LYRICS. Sounds of a Playground Fading is no different.

Here is my quick and to the point song by song breakdown:

1. SOAPF: Solid clean intro, catchy riff once it bust's in, even Anders "chorus" isn't too awful.

2. Deliver Us: I hated this song when I first heard it but I can't help but head-bang now, it is pretty god-damn catchy.

3. All For Me: .........meh. I guess it.....doesn't suck?

4. The Puzzle: OH! it's fast! it's heavy! it must be awesome! lame.

5. Fear is the Weakness: Nice as a Soilwork cover, bad as an In Flames song.

6. Where the Dead Ships Dwell: VERY generic main riff but I'm sure this one will be fun to see live.

7. The Attic: ummm

8. Darker Times: Pretty "nu-metal" sounding but I don't mind this track.

9. Ropes: This was at one point the worst In Flames song I'd ever heard. That was of course until I heard the rest of this album.

10. Enter Tragedy: Not bad. Still pretty "nu-metal" but it has a nice solo (as do a lot of songs on this album, just wanna get that out of the way, better solo's than the last album DEFINITELY)

11. Jester's Door: ....maybe that Attic song wasn't so bad after all......

12. A New Dawn: By far the best song in years. Great melodic intro, great riff leading into the verse, great SCREAMING verse, even the chorus is rocking. Great involvement of the strings too. I honestly can't say enough about this song.

13. Liberation: THIS is the worst In Flames song I've ever heard. Absolute garbage. I've heard some incredible softer songs from them (Metaphor, Dawn of a New Day, Evil in the Closet) but this is nothing but "made for radio" shit.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:03 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinPeace1113 View Post
In Flames are my favorite band. The first time I saw them live was in 2002 opening for Slayer and Soulfly right before Reroute came out. Since then I have seen them 9 more times. (ozzfest '05, 4 times touring for come clarity and 4 times touring for ASOP)
This album is better than what I expected, with a title so horrible it's not too tough. I honestly think that Anders is holding this band back. Ever since Soundtrack his vocals and lyrics have been weak. Come Clarity was a very heavy album BUT it is SO obvious that there are distortion effects added to his "screaming." A Sense of Purpose had some great tracks musically but Anders ruined them with his horrible/generic vocal delivery/LYRICS. Sounds of a Playground Fading is no different.

Here is my quick and to the point song by song breakdown:

1. SOAPF: Solid clean intro, catchy riff once it bust's in, even Anders "chorus" isn't too awful.

2. Deliver Us: I hated this song when I first heard it but I can't help but head-bang now, it is pretty god-damn catchy.

3. All For Me: .........meh. I guess it.....doesn't suck?

4. The Puzzle: OH! it's fast! it's heavy! it must be awesome! lame.

5. Fear is the Weakness: Nice as a Soilwork cover, bad as an In Flames song.

6. Where the Dead Ships Dwell: VERY generic main riff but I'm sure this one will be fun to see live.

7. The Attic: ummm

8. Darker Times: Pretty "nu-metal" sounding but I don't mind this track.

9. Ropes: This was at one point the worst In Flames song I'd ever heard. That was of course until I heard the rest of this album.

10. Enter Tragedy: Not bad. Still pretty "nu-metal" but it has a nice solo (as do a lot of songs on this album, just wanna get that out of the way, better solo's than the last album DEFINITELY)

11. Jester's Door: ....maybe that Attic song wasn't so bad after all......

12. A New Dawn: By far the best song in years. Great melodic intro, great riff leading into the verse, great SCREAMING verse, even the chorus is rocking. Great involvement of the strings too. I honestly can't say enough about this song.

13. Liberation: THIS is the worst In Flames song I've ever heard. Absolute garbage. I've heard some incredible softer songs from them (Metaphor, Dawn of a New Day, Evil in the Closet) but this is nothing but "made for radio" shit.
Ropes intro and outro remind me of Swim from Clayman.

also, about Liberation, I just think its truly experimentation... unless they decide to release it as their next single...then you can call it "made for radio" shit.