Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Bob Seger -- Saginaw, MI -- November 19th, 2014
Ace Frehley -- Uncasville, CT -- November 21st, 2014
Nuclear War Now! Fest IV -- Berlin, Germany -- November 7-8th, 2014
Deafheaven -- Toronto, Ontario -- November 21st, 2014
Threshold -- London, England -- November 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Misinformation and Propaganda

Old 06-08-2011, 09:05 AM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

First two song titles are meh.. The album title sounds like it should be the title for a part, like 'something saga, part 1: A dramatic turn of events', or A Metropolis part 3 could be cool.

either way, this could be a great release. Its ust becoming harder and harder to just enjoy this bands music without paying attention to their personal lives.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
I agree. I'm really getting a Images And Words vibe so far.

The fact that Myung wrote lyrics for 3 songs, means at least 1/3 of the album will be good.
Myung's lyrics are golden. I wish they let him write more!
Old 06-08-2011, 04:42 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
Myung's lyrics are golden. I wish they let him write more!
It was all Portnoy keeping Myung from writing. He didn't like that Myung wrote unstructured lyrics. Now that Portnoy is out of the picture, he's back and hopefully better then ever.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:51 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
The title wouldn't be bad if it weren't so clearly a reference to their own Portnoy bullshit. I fucking hate how self-mythologizing this band is.
!

also their music is deplorable for the most part
Old 06-09-2011, 01:00 PM
Altars of Radness

Some more info from Blabbermouth:

Quote:
Progressive metal giants DREAM THEATER have set "A Dramatic Turn Of Events" as the title of their new album, due on September 13 via Roadrunner Records. The CD is currently being mixed by Andy Wallace, who has previously worked with AVENGED SEVENFOLD, WHITE ZOMBIE, RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE, SEPULTURA, SLAYER and NIRVANA, among many others.

"I'm incredibly psyched with the way this album came out and can't wait to share it with everybody," guitarist John Petrucci, who also serves as the producer for "A Dramatic Turn Of Events", said. "We are currently in the mix stage with the great Andy Wallace and it's all sounding amazing!"

"We have poured our hearts and minds into the creation of this album," keyboardist Jordan Rudess offered. "All the life changing events that surrounded us before, as well as during the whole process, fueled our desire to dig deep within ourselves and create the best music we possibly could."

Vocalist James LaBrie said, "In the grand scheme of DREAM THEATER's career, the last several months have been such an incredibly positive, fulfilling and rewarding experience. The new songs and sound has never been so spirited or rejuvenating. I cannot wait for every one of our fans to sink their audio senses into this batch of tunes."

In a recent interview with Music Radar, Petrucci and Rudess were asked if the band's new drummer, Mike Mangini, contributed to the songwriting on the forthcoming CD. "Mike didn't write with us," Rudess replied. "Basically, we got in the studio and did our thing. We wrote songs and sent them to him. He came in and just nailed his parts. He's incredible. I'm finishing my keyboard parts right now, and I'll go to the computer to see how things are lining up, and I'm just speechless. The guy doesn't mess up!" [laughs]

"We had the demos, had them fully written out, and he learned them and added his own stuff," Petrucci stated. "But every time he would do something, if I said, 'Hey, can you do that again?' he'd do it, and it would be perfect. The guy is… he's out of his mind! [laughs] People are not going to believe how great he is."

"But what's really special about him is, he's not just a technician," Rudess added. "Yes, he plays his parts perfectly, but he comes at everything as a total musician. Everything he does has real soul and a depth of feeling."

When asked how not having DREAM THEATER's former drummer, Mike Portnoy, in the recording and writing process changed the band dynamic, Petrucci replied, "It was a lot quieter. [laughs] Mike Mangini's playing style is different. He plays very hard, but he's got a very deep groove. He almost plays behind the beat just a little bit — even through he's right on the money. He's extremely locked in, but if he does do something technical, he's still right there."
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=159141
Old 06-09-2011, 01:26 PM
N00B

^^^ are there people on the planet that take themselves more seriously than these guys?
Old 06-09-2011, 09:43 PM
In Search of Truth

I honestly don't hate on these guys for how seriously they take themselves. James Labrie is one cheesy-ass person, and I've accepted this. But beyond that - This will be their 11th full-length in a career spanning now 22 years since their debut album. I can't quote exact figures - but they sell a LOT of tickets on tour, and have sold a very, very respectable number of albums. Regardless of how much people might want to hate them and undermine them, they have graduated to pretty much the highest level a metal band can without being either "legendary" (see: Maiden, Priest, Metallica, Sabbath), or commercial/mainstream. It's not like we're talking about some piss ant little band making their 3rd album for their small fanbase. In the eyes of their core fanbase, they ARE gods, no matter how ridiculous that sounds to the many, many people who don't get them.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:52 AM
We're dying on the inside

Yeah, but it's all this bullshit self-mythologizing. Maiden, Priest, Metallica and Sabbath (well, H&H most recently) DO NOT have press releases like this. Every single member of the band is quoted above as saying some incredibly smarmy, look how great we are and how much you should care about us bullshit. I get that their fans totally buy into it, but it doesn't make it any less pretentious, their fans are just wannabe pretentious douches without the talent to back it up. I think they've made some great music but if they just never spoke to the press again I think I'd like that.

Or, tl;dr - agreed with Jeff K.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:32 AM
Regretting my username

I think a band is in trouble if Brad is chastising them for being pretentious.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:41 AM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
I think a band is in trouble if Brad is chastising them for being pretentious.