Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014
Riot Fest -- Denver, CO -- September 19th, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- September 18th, 2014
Puya -- Washington, D.C. -- September 17th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 06-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

Package tours v. Headlining tours

As I was making my dream Megadeth setlist a few minutes ago, I thought about the three times that I've seen Megadeth.

1st time - Rust in Peace Anniversary tour - 20 songs performed.
2nd time - American Carnage - 14 songs performed.
3rd time - European Carnage - 14 songs performed.

Now, those two Carnage shows were co-headlining bills, I understand. But what about this summer's Mayhem Fest?

I think while package tours such as Uproar, Summer Slaughter, Ozzfest, and Mayhem Festival are fun to attend and see bands you've never listened to, it's greatly dissapointing for real fans of bands performing because of the shortness of their sets. I'd rather pay as much for a headlining Megadeth show and see them play 20 or so songs instead of paying $5 more and watching 12 bands in half a day. I'd understand if bands occasionally decided to play on package tours, but it's like a fad/trend now - practically every band out there is clawing for a spot on a package tour, and when they don't get on one, they just find some band to co-headline with them. It's a no-win situation.

Discuss.
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 06-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Born Again In Blasphemy

The Rust In Peace anniversary show I went to at the Palladium in Hollywood was one of the best shows I've ever been to, along with the Amon Amarth show this year as well. So I agree with you. I'd love to see a 20 song Slayer set.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srm90 View Post
The Rust In Peace anniversary show I went to at the Palladium in Hollywood was one of the best shows I've ever been to, along with the Amon Amarth show this year as well. So I agree with you. I'd love to see a 20 song Slayer set.
Slayer could pretty much win back over all the fans that have been pissed at them over the last few years over the setlists if they just got ONE headlining tour.

Seriously? You can't even make a Big Four setlist special?
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 06-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Altars of Radness

I despise package tours. As you said, the sets usually get cut, and that really pisses me off. I'd rather see a few bands do some real sets. Also, when you get a 10 band tour, not as many people are coming for the headlining band (example: Summer Slaughter tour last year), so the crowd is weak. That makes the experience not as much fun, especially if it's a band you really want to go crazy for.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
I despise package tours. As you said, the sets usually get cut, and that really pisses me off. I'd rather see a few bands do some real sets. Also, when you get a 10 band tour, not as many people are coming for the headlining band (example: Summer Slaughter tour last year), so the crowd is weak. That makes the experience not as much fun, especially if it's a band you really want to go crazy for.
There's also the danger of mixing fans together. I'm sure there'll be at least one fight during the run of the Mayhem summer tour between a Suicide Silence / Disturbed / Godsmack fan and a In Flames / Megadeth fan.
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 06-07-2011, 03:08 PM

Another point - package tours, arguably, are for people who aren't patient enough to wait for a proper headlining tour.

Package tours have COMMERCIAL TOUR written all over them. I mean, once you start selling skateboards, caps, and even fucking GLOVES with the tour logos on them, it's obvious you're not trying to support the 'scene' or anything.
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 06-07-2011, 03:10 PM
not the mama

I've never been to any one of those package tours tbh because the lineups always suck, 4 good bands at most but the rest I don't care for.

But the ones I somewhat like are bands I use to listen to in middle school and I wouldn't want anything less than the hits I'm just not that interested in seeing them to actually pay.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:12 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalDescent View Post
Another point - package tours, arguably, are for people who aren't patient enough to wait for a proper headlining tour.

Package tours have COMMERCIAL TOUR written all over them. I mean, once you start selling skateboards, caps, and even fucking GLOVES with the tour logos on them, it's obvious you're not trying to support the 'scene' or anything.
Oh, wait. By package tour you mean the huge summer festivals. Most national metal tours are "package tours," in that the headliner barely gets 75 min, usually less.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:14 PM
I'm the ghoul of the medical profession

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalDescent View Post

I don't think that's a problem at all. It's not like any of the bands you guys are talking about would exist in the ultimate underground or anything if they weren't on a package tour. When dealing with bands like Megadeth, I really don't think "supporting the scene" is even a thing.
If you're going to go to a mainstream package tour/fest, I totally want corporate sponsors. Cheaper tickets + free shit to offset the obscene costs of food (see Mayhemfest 09- I drank exclusively free energy drinks, didn't spend a dime on another beverage. Was it somewhat sickening? yes. But it was free.)
Old 06-07-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganarchy View Post
Oh, wait. By package tour you mean the huge summer festivals. Most national metal tours are "package tours," in that the headliner barely gets 75 min, usually less.
Well, generally I'm talking about how both types of package tours suck, but the commercial aspect is purely specific to the festivals.
3/15 Gogol Bordello