Dillinger Escape Plan -- Brooklyn, NY -- July 31st, 2014
Cannibal Corpse -- South Burlington, VT -- July 28th, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Camden, NJ -- July 30th, 2014

Old 06-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
I like Souls Of Black.
Yeah I like 3 songs on that album but the title track might be my least favorite Testament song ever written. Every time I hear that chorus my IQ drops 5 points. Just dumb, dumb, dumb lyrics laid over a boring riff.

The problem I have with new Lazarus is when I 1st saw them I described them to people as Kill Em All era Metallica meets The Legacy era Testament. So yeah I was expecting a Ride The Lightning/The New Order progression and instead I got Souls of Black/Load. Not good.
10/24 - Judas Priest & Steel Panther
Old 06-05-2011, 10:04 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
Yeah I like 3 songs on that album but the title track might be my least favorite Testament song ever written. Every time I hear that chorus my IQ drops 5 points. Just dumb, dumb, dumb lyrics laid over a boring riff.

The problem I have with new Lazarus is when I 1st saw them I described them to people as Kill Em All era Metallica meets The Legacy era Testament. So yeah I was expecting a Ride The Lightning/The New Order progression and instead I got Souls of Black/Load. Not good.
It's probably because I used to cover Souls of Black, and it was my first Testament song, that I like the album so much, then again, I love every Testament album.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:55 PM
That Guy

It's Monday, so it's time for part 4. The forthiest part so far.

1.) While Heaven Wept- Fear Of Infinity

While looking at the band title, many at first glance will picture this band as Christian Emo band. That is not the case. While Heaven Wept does something that was nearly thought impossible, be a Power Doom Metal band. As much fast double bass Power Metal is shown, so is Doom Metal (with Clean vocals). This band really took me surprise when I found about them. The music keeps your interest and never lets go. This is one of the bands I really hopes breaks through this year, they deserve it.

8/10

2.) Ocoai- The Electric Hand

It's been a while since I heard a Post Metal band really capture my interest through a whole album. Ocoai managed to accomplish that with The Electric Hand. There is elements of Pelican, Isis, Mastodon, Torche all over but making it all fit in their own unique way. It's not the stereotypical Droney Post Metal, there is much more substance and dynamics. If you are looking to get into Post Metal, this is a great starter album, it will capture you're interest from start to finish.
7/10

3.) Foo Fighters- Wasting Light

I've been an on again off again Foo Fighters fan for years. For me, They haven't released an album that had more then 4 good songs since The Colour And The Shape. They FINALLY made an album that accomplish that with Wasting Light. From the Rush style of Rope, to the Moterhead style of White Limo. All the wile still keeping a fresh, catchy Rock vibe. I'm glad to see the Foo Fighters are still capable of doing that in more then just a EP's worth of good songs.

8/10

4.) Onslaught- Sounds Of Violence

Another great Thrash band on the list. Their 5th album, Sounds Of Violence is another great spin on bringing classic Thrash with a 2011 filter. It brings references of Slayer, Warbringer and Death Angel all over in their own brand. It's great to see Thrash bands who were dead come back to life to bring such great music to the table. Onslaught more then followed through on this album.

7/10

5.) Beardfish- Mammoth

Beardfish is one of the greatest underrated/under-appreciated Progressive Rock bands going right now. Their blend of 60's/70's Progressive Rock with a bit of a modern tinge is exactly what Prog Rock needs right now. Mammoth definitely delivers that and then some. The album varies all over with hints of Zappa, Rush, Yes, while mixed a bit with modern prog like Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree and a tad bit of Opeth. This definitely has my vote for the best Progressive Rock album of 2011. It covers everything a genuine Prog fan wants.

9/10

6.) Liturgy- Asthethica

This is a very strange Black Metal band. It's almost as if they take a Noise Rock/Alternative Metal project, added some Prog to it, then layered Black Metal vocals and Blast beats over it. Another comparison is if Krallice and Nachtmystium and Hella started a project. It's a bit jarring a first to listen to. a real "WHAT THE FUCK" kinda band. I oddly like it because it is so strange and different, after a couple listens things start to make more sense. This own't end up in my top 20, or even lower, but it is a good excuse to trying something completely different.

6/10

7.) Boris- Heavy Rocks

The fourth and Final Boris album on this list (at least until I hear they are writing and releasing more music this year). Heavy Rocks brings back the sound that made me get into Boris, Psychedelic Punk, Stoner, Metal. While not as heavy as their original albums, Heavy Rocks still stands as an absolutely badass album. For a great Brutal album (clean vocals by the way) with a 60's rock tinge. Pick up Heavy Rocks.

9/10

8.) TesseracT- One

I believe this is the only Djent band on my list. For those who don't follow Djent, the way I describe it is "Meshuggah with Melody." Tesseract is a phenomenal band that takes Djent and gives is a better Progressive Metal flavor to it. Much more clean vocals then other bands and bit more ambient and electronic at times. A very outerspace feel through out. One is one of the finest debut albums I have heard from any band. For those looking for a new band of a "trend" that is actually starting their own trend out of it, check out TesseracT's One.

10/10

9.) Deicide- To Hell With God

Classic Death Metal, Deicide always keeps their Death Metal/"I Hate Christianity" aspect on every album. Obviously, To Hell With God, is no different. Straight pull no punches Death Metal with some great solos and songwriting over Glen Benton's Patoned voice. Not the best Death Metal album this year, that still goes to Autopsy until something else comes out this year, but To Hell With God easily takes 2nd place.

7/10

10.) A Storm Of Light- As The Valley Of Death Becomes Us, Our Silver Memories Fade

A very great Isis/Mastodon-esque Post Metal band, A Storm Of Light brings a very heavy, grungey spin on Post Metal. While the album is pretty much straight forward Post Metal, it's dynamics, changes, and overall songwriting keeps you interested not wanting to change to the next track. Overall, just a really damn good, heavy Post Metal album.

7/10

11.) Hate Eternal- Phoenix Among The Ashes

I never liked a full Hate Eternal album until now. Pure Brutal Death Metal the way it is meant to be played. Every song is just as brutal as the next. When you are pissed off, it's a great album to unleash your aggression. Now a days in 2011, that is becoming more and more. Check this out!

9/10

12.) Scale The Summit- The Collective

The perfect Instrumental Progressive Metal album. So much talented songwriting, amazing Melodies and Harmonies, overall perfection in my eyes. It is a march darker album then their two previous albums, but it adds a whole new element that I know they have been dying to show off. To me that is what makes a band better is by showcasing all of your skill and creativity. Scale The Summit pulled it off Flawlessly with The Collective. BUY IT NOW!

10/10

13.) VYGR- Hypersleep

Pronounced (Voyager), VYGR is another great spacey Post Metal band. As if someone combined Isis and Cynic. Their album is an outstanding example of what happens when you really put your time into an album. It is so atmospheric and heavy. Its the perfect music to listen to when you are looking up into space at night. Like bands like Alcest, it sends you into a whole new world. If this is what happens on a debut album, expect HUGE things on their next release. Absolutely stellar!

9/10

14.) Last Chance To Reason- Level 2

Video Game Metal. Not like Power Glove. It's original Technical, Progressive Death Metal. As if Cynic wrote a soundtrack to Halo. Their previous work I had a bit of a hard time getting into because of all the Deathcore elements, but Level 2 to is much more Proggy and focused. These guys are going to be a force to be reckon with, they will prove this on the upcoming Animals As Leaders tour.

9/10

15.) Polkadot Cadaver- Sex Offender

Polkadot Cadaver came from the Ashes of one of the best Avant Garde Metal bands of the 90's/2000's, Dog Fashion Disco. Their second release, Sex Offender, carries off where the debut left off. Very electronic, but even more Dog Fashion Disco sounding then before. Every song is simply catchy, whether it is heavy, or electronica sounding. I one day hope Dog Fashion Disco can get back together and tour once again, until that day, I hope Polkadot cadaver can actually tour.

7/10

16.) Enslaved- The Sleeping Gods

This FREE EP has everything an Enslaved fan could want. 2 classic Enslaved songs, an eerie atmospheric instrumental, A classic Prog sounding song, and a doomy heavy closer. Tied with Between The Buried And Me's newest EP, this is EP of the year for me. And I couldn't be happier they are taking Alcest and Ghost with them on their upcoming North American Tour. I can't miss it.

10/10

17.) Times Of Grace- Hymn Of The Broken Man

The best Killswitch Engage album never made. It is really Killswitch Engage with a bit of Post Rock added. 3/5 of the original KSE are in the touring lineup of Times Of Grace, and I can honestly say it sounds better then anything KSE has done in the past. I have always dug Jesse's vocals, to me they are better then Howard Jones, sorry....they are! I'd love to see these guys live, even if they don't throw a KSE cover in.

8/10

18.) Alter Of Plagues- Mammal

I really hate saying this, but Alter Of Plagues really disappointed me with this one. Their previous work is mindblowing, Mammal feels...boring. Of course like in any Post Black Metal band it does have its moments of impact, but this doesn't nearly have enough. It's very Droney and subdued in a unemotional way. Maybe after a another listen or two I can maybe dig it more, but as of now, it's too uninspired for my taste.

4/10

19.) Mogwai- Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will

The way I feel about Mogwai, when they are on, THEY ARE ON. But when they are off, they are really off. To me, this album has both of that. Some of their best work and some of their worst. I guess you can say this is an average album for Mogwai overall because the Ying and Yang are equal. It's a shame considering I love their last album, The Hawk is Howling. Not to say there isn't some great music on here, there is, but the bad songs overshadow it by far. Also their 22 minute bonus track, is pure atmospheric, not bad if it's not long, but 22 MINUTES? no thanks.

5/10

20.) Hotel Of The Laughing Tree- Terror And Everything After

One of the most original sounding rock bands I have heard in a long time. And my token Non-Metal album of the year. Every song is pure excitement and enjoyment. Catchy as hell and inspired. Something very hard to find in a Indie Rock band now a days. It does have some heavy moments, but I prefer this album for it's original style and going out of the norm. I would love to see these guys live someday if they ever hit Minnesota. But until then, if you are a fan of great overall music, check this one out for sure.

10/10

That concludes part 4. Part 5 (which may end up the last part until the end of the year) will be coming up tomorrow. until then ENJOY!
Old 06-07-2011, 06:40 PM
That Guy

Here it is, part 5 and last part of the first half of the year. 26 albums and EPs here. This is along one so let's get it started.

1.) Hell- Human Remains

Ok, so already by the band name and album title it instantly makes you think of Brutal Death Metal. NOT AT ALL! This is 80's New Wave Of British Heavy Metal brought back to life. Although forming in 1982, Human Remains is the first album from the band. The band broke up in 1987 and shortly after singer, Dave G. Halliday, committed suicide. In 2010 The band got back together and started working on what became Human Remains. The music is very NWOBHM in the best way possible. THIS is the music that needs to come back. As much as I love the New Thrash Revival going on right now, it takes a band like Hell to really showcase the music that needs a return. Hell did it right on this album. It is 80's Metal perfection that was released in 2011. BRAVO!

9/10

2.) Scar Symmetry- The Unseen Empire

You can basically take my review for Darkest Hour's The Human Romance, and replace it with Scar Symmetry. I never thought I'd be into these guys again, but I was sooooooo proven wrong with The Unseen Empire. This is a damn good album from start to finish. I guess it took an album and losing their best feature of the band (The vocals) for them to get back on the right track. But it worked. I just hope they can keep this quality of songwriting up.

8/10

3.) Neal Morse- Testimony 2

I constantly say this. I listen to as much Christian Progressive Rock as I do Satanic Death Metal. It's about good music, not the lyrical message to me. Music is not going to make me follow god, or burn churches in the name of Satan, I walk the path I walk, But anyways back to the music. Testimony 2, is obviously the sequel to Neal Morse's Testimony. The music is very good. It's a great concept album. But like every Neal Morse album, the message and storyline is practically the same. Not that that's a bad thing. AC/DC and Slayer have been doing that for years. But it would be nice to write different concept albums about the message. the musicality is always great, very Spock's Beard style Progressive Rock, which I love. The bonus track Seeds Of Gold Is one of the coolest pieces of Music I've heard (at 25 minutes of length as well). Overall, it's worth checking out for the music alone if you are into Prog Rock and if you don't mind the message. It's worth checking out.

7/10

4.) Anaal Nathrakh- Passion

What an album to come up on random after Testimony 2. The exact opposite of Neal Morse. Absolutely insane Technical and Brutal Death Metal, with oddly enough a lot of clean vocals. The music is spastic as all hell, but very enjoyable. I can tell it takes a strong breed of people to be able to handle Anaal Nathrakh's music. But if you can it is a Death Metal musical journey.

7/10

5.) EkoTren- The Dead Of Night

EkoTren is a hard band to pinpoint. I guess Alternative Metal is a good reference? They have a very cool sense of having brutal verses with very melodic Choruses. Yes that might sound like Metalcore, but there is more substance to it then just simply Metalcore. Compared to their debut album, The Dead Of Night is a bit more Hard Rock influenced as well. Overall it is a very catchy enjoyable, heavy album. Well worth a listen.

6/10

6.) Belphegor- Blood Magik Necromance

Belphegor is a Blackened Death Metal band that is just plain BRUTAL! Every song is just as chaotic, symphonic and evil as the last. I still believe Behemoth is the best band in all of Blackened Death Metal, Belphegor is definitely in the top 3. They aren't exactly a band I'd normally listen to on normal occasions, but this album is one that works perfect when you need something to release your aggression on. It will also hold purpose until Behemoth gets ready to take over the world once again later this fall.

7/10

7.) This Will Destroy You- Tunnel Blanket

BOOOOORING! I'm sorry, just like Explosions in The Sky earlier, nothing really happens in this album. Over 3/4 of the album is keyboard synth soundscapes. When the rest of the band kicks in it only adds a little bit of excitement until it goes away again. I don't get it Post ROck/Post Metal Bands can do it right, Doom Metal bands can do it right, but when add the two together, you get the new album from This Will Destroy You, which you think would be amazing if your fan of either genre. But it way to heavy on soundscape and not enough on creating an enjoyable album. Much to my dismay. I think they are capable of writing good music, I hope they will again on their next album, more then just 3 tracks.

4/10

8.) Obscura- Omnvium

Simply put the best damn Progressive/Technical Death Metal album of 2011. I will be hard pressed to find anything that will come close. Obscura has been getting more and more proggy on every album and Omnvium is the perfect mixture for me. Every song is perfection to me, and I can't wait to see them open for Devin Townsend July 5th. Buy this album the second you get a chance. This is what Progressive/Technical Death Metal is suppose to sound like!

10/10

9.) Pagan's Mind- Heavenly Ecstasy

Pagan's Mind, the best sounding Dream Theater band that is nothing like Dream Theater band around. Pagan's Mind is the band a lot of hardcore DT wishes Dream Theater sounded like after Awake. Dream Theater is my favorite band of all time, but it very hard to disagree. The add a great blend of Progressive Metal, Power Metal, and Classic Rock. For those who think there is something missing in Progressive Metal, needs to check out Pagan's Mind. Such a great showcase of songwriting and overall musical power.
9/10

10.) Cave In- White Silence

Post Hardcore heroes Cave In are back together and are back to being Metal. I had no idea Cave In got back together until I heard this album was released. I immediately got it and spun it. It is such a fantastic album from start to finish. Post Hardcore, Metalcore and Post Rock all mixed together into the band known as Cave In. These guys were desperately needed to come back into music. If they had never broken up, I swear a lot of crap music out there wouldn't be here. For those adventurous enough to give REAL Post Hardcore a chance, check out Cave In's White Silence. it is so damn good.

8/10

11.) Angel Vivaldi- Universal Language

The best instrumental Progressive/Djent Metal band this side of Animals As Leaders. This solo project now features ex Mutiny Within drummer, Bill Fore, who absolutely Slays on this 4 track EP. like the two bands I just mentioned, the music is a mixture of Animals As Leaders and Mutiny Within. While staying on the East coast for now, I hope this explodes and becomes huge, it's absolutely Mindblowing!

9/10

12.) Wolf- Legions Of Bastards

Wolf is a great overall Heavy Metal band. They really draw their influences of Judas Priest, Saxon, and other great NWOBHM bands. While the album is very straight forward Heavy Metal, it is a great listen and brings you back to the golden days of Metal. For those who need to relive the good days, check out Legions Of Bastards!

7/10

13.) The Haunted- Unseen

Wow, what a piece of shit record this is. I'm sorry but there's no other way to describe it. It's like Halford's Made Of Metal last year, ONE decent song, and the rest is pure garbage. The Haunted went from being on the forefront of the Swedish Melodic Death Metal scene to sounding like the band Nickelback and Five Finger Death Punch would be. There's only one way to describe it. PURE SHIT!

1/10 (only for the one good song on the album)

14.) Riverside- Memories In My Hand

Taking a very similar approach as Between The Buried And Me, Riverside is releasing an EP this year to go along with a concept album to be released next year. Riverside is the band of what happens when you mix Dream Theater, Opeth, and Porcupine Tree together. their first few albums, I had a really hard time getting into but as of late they have been writing an original sounding style that doesn't sound like amashup of the aforementioned bands. This 3 track EP is very, VERY good. Very mellow overall but it's original and flows together very nicely. I'm excited to hear What Riverside will be giving us next year!

8/10

15.) Devin Townsend- Ghost

The most beautiful album Devin Townsend has put out. That's all that needs to be said.

10/10

16.) Woods Of Desolation- Torn Beyond Reason

Possibly the greatest Blackened Post Metal band besides Alcest. Woods Of Desolation does it right. The atmosphere, the songwriting, the ideal of despair mixed with that eerie sense of hope. It's the perfect music to put on when you want to escape from everything, while it will be a depressing escape, its a great sense of musicality that needs to be taken. Buy This Album!

10/10

17.) Children Of Bodom- Relentless Reckless Forever

Damn the album title says it all, that sounds like it is Relentless and goes on Forever. This album is atrocious, there's just no other way to say it. So bland and boring. So what if Alexi can shred? If you don't have good song behind it, it sucks. Anything else to say about this album is just repeating myself. Check out their old albums, that's where it's at. Anything past Are You Dead Yet? Don't waste your time.

3/10

18.) Vreid- V

One of the finest Black Metal bands going right now. They aren't the stereotypical sounding Black Metal band, they are much more. Almost as if Iron Maiden's approach to Black Metal. V is the first album I have checked out from Vreid, but if this is the quality of music they put out, I'll be checking out all their previous albums. This is what Black Metal should sound like.

8/10

19.) The Galactic Cowboy Orchestra- All Out Of Peaches

Possibly the most left of center band on the entire list. Instrumental Orchestral Jazzy Blues Country Progressive Rock. I don't know of any other way to describe them. The album takes you through so many twists and turns leaving you wanting more. Which is my only complaint about the album. It feels a bit too varied at times. I'm hoping for the next album it will be a bit more consistent, rather the just a hodgepodge of genres. Other then that, fantastic album.

7/10

20.) Falkenbach- Tiurida

Falkenbach is what I consider to be if Agalloch went straight Folk Metal. This album is so fantastic from start to finish. That's really as fair of a review as I can give, if you like the Folk Metal side of Agalloch, you will LOVE Falkenbach's Tiurida!

9/10

21.) The Human Abstract- Digital Veil

The Human Abstract has been the baby brother to Between The Buried And Me and Protest The Hero. Not getting the same notoriety, but has the same level of chops. That said....these guys haven't really impressed me since their debut album. Digital Veil seems a bit bland and just like all the other technical Metal bands that are starting to come from bands who want to ripoff Meshuggah and Cynic. Granted that if I didn't know of Between The Buried And Me, I'd love these guys, but I do, so I really don't. I had hope for them back on their debut album, Nocturne, but not since.

5/10

22.) Wo Fat- Noche Del Chupacabra

Wo Fat takes 60's/70's jam bands and mixes it with Stoner Metal. In a sense it's taking Alan Parson's Frankenstein and having Clutch cover it and add their own variations however they see fit. This a phenomenal Stoner Metal band that just started to spring up. the 15 minutes self titled closer is perfect in every sense of the word. If you wanna get high without drugs, check out Wo Fat!

8/10

23.) Krallice- Diotima

Krallice is a Black Metal band that is not Black Metal. It is very hard to properly describe these guys and make it have sense without listening to them. While the tremolo picking and blast bats are there with the Black Metal screams, nothing else about it Black Metal. It's Avant Garde to a T. I'm not sure if I like or hate this album, but I'm oddly attracted to it and can't stop listening to it when I have it on. Its definitely an album that you have to take a chance with to have it make sense.

6/10

24.) Matterhorn- Vol. 1: The World Began Without Man

Possibly my favorite discovery from a band I know absolutely nothing about until this year. Their debut EP is simply awesome. Mastodon meets Torche. It's the only proper way to describe it. Check it out, I know You'll dig it too.

9/10

25.) Between The Buried and Me- The Parallax: The Hypersleep Dialogues

The 30 minute Mini Album from BTBAM to go with the full length album coming out next year. This EP, is FLAWLESS! In my eyes, BTBAM has only gotten better over time and every album surpasses the one before it.I even dare say this is their finest work to date. Lunar Wilderness is by far the greatest song they have ever written. While many are scared of what's going to happen in 2012. I know the full length concept sequel to this EP is coming out. That's all I need.

10/10

26.) UnXpect- Fables Of The Sleepless Empire

What a crazy album to end this half of the year. UnXpect is the definition of Avant Gard Metal. They will play ANYTHING they want to in the most fucked up way. But their latest album, is by far the most accessible. It has understandable melodies and harmonies, sections of 4/4 and other standard musical concepts I never expected from UnXpect. But they make it work perfectly. It's the Female fronted version of Fantomas wanted to play Strapping Young Lad.. I love it. this will be the album to make them sucessful, if it doesn't, nothing will.

9/10

So that's it for the first half of 2011. I may update this series in September after all the man, MANY progressive Metal albums come out then with many great albums to come before and after. I hope you've enjoyed it so far.

Thanks again, live long and prosper, stay metal, and any other standard closing you want to add.

SEE YA!
Old 06-07-2011, 06:49 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
23.) Krallice- Diotima

Krallice is a Black Metal band that is not Black Metal.
Boy, you have a way with words... Well put man.

Also, Anaal Nathrakh isn't brutal death metal. Dunno where you got that from.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:56 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganarchy View Post
Boy, you have a way with words... Well put man.

Also, Anaal Nathrakh isn't brutal death metal. Dunno where you got that from.
It's the only way to describe Krallice, besides "Sucks" or "Gay" or "awesome". They are regarded as Black Metal, but at the same time, they aren't. I guess Fucked Up is the way to go.

Annal Nathrakh, is really a mixture of all things Metal. I used that because there is a lot of Death Metal elements to their sound. Of course I could say everything they do, and maybe I still should, but I think for someone who doesn't know them, it's a good reference point.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Headbanger

Really cool reviews man. I agree with most of them to a T. I like how you didn't "drink the Kool-aid" on certain bands and tell it like it really is. I definitely rate thrash higher than you but other than that I think this is a great guide to expose people to music they should hear if they haven't.

Props for including Polkadot Cadaver also. I think my expectations were too high but I need to give it another listen anyway.
10/24 - Judas Priest & Steel Panther
Old 06-07-2011, 07:49 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Wow... I have to disagree with you here. I get huge musical boners for the new Krallice and especially the new Human Abstract. Digital Veil is fucking brilliant, man.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:08 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
Really cool reviews man. I agree with most of them to a T. I like how you didn't "drink the Kool-aid" on certain bands and tell it like it really is. I definitely rate thrash higher than you but other than that I think this is a great guide to expose people to music they should hear if they haven't.

Props for including Polkadot Cadaver also. I think my expectations were too high but I need to give it another listen anyway.
Thanks man. I feel it's my duty to expose good music to those who need to hear it.

I'll never drink the Kool-Aid, if I did Hollywood Undead would be a good band to me. I grew up an uncool guy, going against the norm, so I love giving the REAL opinions instead of kiss ass articles or bashing because it's cool articles. I like being real.

I think the only reason I didn't rate some of the thrash albums higher is because....well look how many there is? I'd look really biased if I gave all the Thrash albums 8's and 9's.

I love Polkadot Cadaver. Almost as much as Dog Fashion Disco. I like Purgatory Dance Party more, but Sex Offender is a damn good album, although the first half is stronger then the 2nd half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
Wow... I have to disagree with you here. I get huge musical boners for the new Krallice and especially the new Human Abstract. Digital Veil is fucking brilliant, man.
I know where you are coming from with both bands. If I listen to Krallice more, I'll dig it a lot more. IF I keep listening to Digital Veil I'll hate it more. Digital Veil was going to end up in my top 10 until I kept listening to it and not really finding anything there I still dug after 3-4 listens. Sorry man.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:50 AM
Now I am become Death. The destroyer of worlds.

Quote:
19.) Mogwai- Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will

The way I feel about Mogwai, when they are on, THEY ARE ON. But when they are off, they are really off. To me, this album has both of that. Some of their best work and some of their worst. I guess you can say this is an average album for Mogwai overall because the Ying and Yang are equal. It's a shame considering I love their last album, The Hawk is Howling. Not to say there isn't some great music on here, there is, but the bad songs overshadow it by far. Also their 22 minute bonus track, is pure atmospheric, not bad if it's not long, but 22 MINUTES? no thanks.

5/10
From the first moment I heard that song I instantly fell in love. I think it's absolutely incredible. It has the same affect on me as say watching 2001: A Space Odyssey does: when I start it I can't turn it off. It makes me really want to see what the art exhibit it was made for looks like...

I also disagree with your assertion about the rest of the album being somewhat bipolar. In curiosity, which songs do you think are good and/or bad?