N00B

In Flames - Sounds of a Playground Fading

In Flames:

Anders Fridén – vocals
Björn Gelotte – guitars
Niklas Engelin – guitars
Peter Iwers – bass guitar
Daniel Svensson – drums, percussion

In Flames is often a band that gets tossed in with shit or gold nowadays, as their fans tend to borderline between "old" and "new" with few in between. Many crave for something like the Jester Race or Colony, while some fans may not even know more then three songs off of those albums. Regardless, its safe to say that after a few listens, Sounds of a Playground Fading offers something for every fan, and maybe newcomers.

Instrumentation:

The album opens with an acoustic intro, before blasting the traditional In Flames Harmony, before breaking into modern, more recent In Flames riffing. One can notice after a few songs that Anders Friden has improved his vocals tremendously, more so on the clean side, but also on the growl side. Much less prominent is the "cat stuck in a blender" screeching, or the whiny tone encompassing some of his past works. The lyrics have also improved from A Sense of Purpose (there's no more "I feel like shit, but atleast I feel something), and seem more poetic.

Which brings us to the guitar in this album. As some of you may know, Jesper (basically the founder and previous guitarist) left recently, leaving skeptical fans to wonder if the incredible solos that inhabited their albums throughout the years were going to disappear. I'm glad to stay this is not the case, and Bjorn (the other guitarist) stepped the fuck up with flying colors. The Guitar solos here are probably the best since their Clayman album. They are npredictable, yet quite fitting. The newcomer, Niklas Engelin, does not disappoint. However, some of the riffs (more particularly in All For Me ) can become very predictable and similar to other songs.

Drum production seems much better here as well. They drive the songs along nicely. Bass also seems to be in a much better form, and a bit more active.

Album Flow:

It's very important to listen to the album straight through. While not entirely a concept album like the Jester Race and Whoracle was, it is conceptual to a point. The album has a dark mood throughout the first 80%, and then starting with "A New Dawn" bursts into the happier sound from 1999-2002's In Flames. The album is also placed with two calmer songs, one being "The Attic" (think of a shorter Chosen Pessimist, with accordion), and the other "The Jester's Door". The later, while not the expected instrumental (like "The Jester's Dance" on The Jester Race), it is simply a spoken word song, with accordion, about their previous guitarist's departure. Songs can tend to sound extremely similar in tone and structure in the first half of the album, however.

Older fans might rejoice at some songs like "A New Dawn", which almost sounds like In Flames jumped back in a time machine set to 1999 or 2000. Anders is getting pretty old now, so expecting some demonic growl from the Whoracle album would be futile, but he pulls off one hell of a modern Colony-ish one on this track. Guitars are set up as if they were playing off of Colony or Clayman themselves. A cello even makes an entrance. Other songs like "Darker Times" or "Enter Tragedy" may impress them as well.

Newer fans also have songs they will probably admire. Songs like "Where Dead Ships Dwell", "Ropes", and "Fear is the Weakness" will attain the attention with their highly developed hooks and choruses, and are extremely catchy.

In Flames have also expanded their boundaries by experimenting with a "hard rock" track of sorts. "Liberation" ends the album sounding like it came from an A Perfect Circle record or some other alternative metal/rock band. Nonetheless, if you are a fan of the genre you will most likely admire this.

Conclusion:

Despite the lost of their previous guitarist, In Flames have successfully created an album to cater to most of their fan base, while experimenting and growing. Bjorn and Anders really have stepped it up, increasing their capabilities greatly. This is In Flames following their own path, even though "It's not straight, but the road lies open."

Recommended for any fan of In Flames, unless you strictly like pre-Whoracle.

A New Dawn - http://www.youtube.com/embed/JkQ7SKyGdZA

Last edited by zerkz; 06-19-2011 at 04:31 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:58 AM
HEY! LISTEN!

Very interested in checking this out because I've heard several songs and they seem to be basically an improvement on the 'new in flames' formula from ASOP and Come Clarity - but something about the "feel" of the new songs (maybe it's the style of the melodies, no idea) that makes it feel more like older In Flames shit (ok, no older than Colony I'll admit, but Colony/Clayman is still massively good comparatively). Definitely worth checking out from what I've heard and you seem to be vouching for it . ....Too bad I have a massive backlog of albums I need to check out so I'm not quite sure how soon I'll be getting around to this.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:02 AM
N00B

I surprisingly found this album quite enjoyable. There are some pretty damn catchy songs in it
Old 06-19-2011, 07:04 AM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

At first, I found it to be a mediocre, generic In Flames release, but boy, it's a grower! Love the first two tracks to death, and the rest of the album is quite great too.
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 06-19-2011, 07:15 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalDescent View Post
At first, I found it to be a mediocre, generic In Flames release, but boy, it's a grower! Love the first two tracks to death, and the rest of the album is quite great too.
Pretty much how I feel.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterguy49 View Post
Pretty much how I feel.
I'm glad they're doing a headlining show in Moscow this October. It'll be a better show than seeing them before Godsmack and Disturbed
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 06-19-2011, 09:14 AM
Fairies wear boots and ya gotta believe me.

I need to download this. I love A Sense of Purpose, I think it's a great rock record. But I probably only like it so much because In Flames was important in my metal upbringing, and I can remember buying it when it came out when I was a freshman.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:25 AM
things are more than just what you see

I really enjoyed this album. Just really caught me in a way many other in flames albums never did.

and correct me if I'm wrong but is not Jester's door the actual letter that the band received when he left the band?

9/21: Uproar Festival
Old 06-19-2011, 10:21 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalDescent View Post
I'm glad they're doing a headlining show in Moscow this October. It'll be a better show than seeing them before Godsmack and Disturbed
You suck
But I'm just glad I get to see them, because no one comes down to Florida
Old 06-19-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterguy49 View Post
You suck
But I'm just glad I get to see them, because no one comes down to Florida
Hey, it's okay, once I'm done with school here, my dad will probably make me spend half my life in Florida
3/15 Gogol Bordello