Electric Light Orchestra -- London, England -- September 14th, 2014
Skeletonwitch -- West Springfield, VA -- September 12th, 2014
KISS -- Lake Oswego, OR -- September 14th, 2014
Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014
King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014

Old 05-24-2011, 09:46 AM
TiradesOfTruth

DevilDriver -- Detroit, MI -- May 21st, 2011

Okay so here is a review on the DevilDriver show in Detroit last weekend. I am mostly a lurker on here so I haven't written much on here. I know someone posted a setlist so I thought to write a full review.

So my brother, cousin, and I ventured from Bay City down to Detroit to see DevilDriver and an bunch of local bands to play at the world famous Harpos. This was my first "club show" and it was great. Doors opened at 5 and we arrived about ten minutes after doors opened as my brother and cousin went and got beer I got a table on the second level because I knew they wouldn't be down on the floor(pussies).

The first band that was up I didn't cathch the name of but they gad a generic groove metal sound with only about 30 people watching them which it looked like it was their fan club that was screaming at the top of their lungs. Towards the end of their set they tried to get a pit started but didn't work very well. 6/10

Next band up was Last Seen Dead. Their was a reason they were Last Seen Dead, they were a very horrible Deathcore band. This band had less people watching them then the first band. They played about 4 songs and 4 songs too many. 1/10

If my memory serves me right Full Strike Frenzy is up. This was the first band I went down on the floor for and it was fun. They sounded like Hatebreed and now alot of people were coming down from the bar and getting into the pit and it was one of the better pits I have been in with alot of huge 6'4 men in it. The sound was a little sketchy but it was a local band what do you expect. 7/10

Threat Level was the next band. I really didn't see why the crowd was into them they sounded like a Lamb Of God rip off with pantera riffs. I went up and bought some water and hung out with my cousin. 4/10

Medica is up and wow they sucked. So after about an 30 min. wait they came on and no one could hear the vocals. About 3 songs through Harpos turned back on Pantera and got huge cheers from the crowd. They looked pissed as they walked off stage. So I am guessing they were cut off and for good reason. I am not sure how to describe them i guess I would say somewhat of a Deathcore with a little of groove in. 2/10

Then a band that blew me away. Mine Enemies Fall came on after a 5 min. setup that's what I'm talking about. When they came out to very loud cheers. I got right into the pit for this Machine Head like band. The pit really started going as I got knocked on my ass a few times. It was a short 30 min. set but it was a great time. 8/10

The last local band was Soldiers Of Scrape. By this time my cousin made his way donw by me and actually went in the pit which is unlike him. As I watched these guys because I enjoyed their almost Death Metal sound he got nailed in the nose and came stumbling out. They had a very energized set. And their last song was entitled beer and I think I got hit with 3 cups of beer being thrown up. 8/10

Now is the reason we all came DevlDriver. AS I looked through the crowd I noticed it was a very rough crowd with only a few douche bags walking around. My cousin who has been here many times said this was one of the most crowded concerts at Harpos he has been to. They opened up with End Of The Line and the pit opened up and crowd surfing got going. One thing I haven't seen before are the stage divers I think I counted 5. As I got in the pit for Impending Disaster and Not All Who Wander Are Lost I lost my shoe and got my shirt ripped . DevilDriver played about an 1 30 min. set. It was a generic set but it was fun with songs like Head on to Heartache (Let Them Rot), Pray For Villions and You Make Me Sick. Then also the classics like Clouds Over California, Hold Back The Day, and Meet the Wretched. I don't remember all the songs they played but here are the ones I remember. 9.5/10
1.End of the Line
2.Impending Disaster
3.Not All Who Wander Are Lost
4.Dead to Rights
5.Clouds Over California
6.I Could Care Less
7.Head on to Heartache (Let Them Rot)
8.Hold Back the Day
9.These Fighting Words
10.You Make Me Sick
11.Grinfucked
12.Pray for Villians
13.Meet the Wretched
encore
14.Before the Hangman's Noose
Overall it was a very fun experience even though I lost a shoe in the pit. The staff is very laid back and fun. Even though it's in a rough part of town we had no problems at all. The merch was generic and I have seen the shirts before for about $20 when they were $25 there.
8/9 Boris
8/30 Morbid Saint/Vektor
Old 05-24-2011, 10:02 AM
...the dead are among us!

Hahaha. Ahhh.... Harpo's. Sounds like you had fun. That place is so shitty and awesome. The first show I saw there when I was in high school in '99 was Slipknot opening, followed by Machine Head with Coal Chamber headlining.... oh how times have changed. That was the first venue I had been to when I was under 21 that they would serve to minors; so me and my friends would do Jager bombs and head for the pit, we thought we were metal as fuck. I've never really gotten into the DevilDriver records, but they usually put on a really good show. The last time I saw DevilDriver at Harpo's it was with Napalm Death, so that will be a hard one to top.

Congrats on your first show at Harpo's. You ever get the feeling that one of those big lights is going to fall from the ceiling onto the crowd?
Old 05-24-2011, 10:35 AM
TiradesOfTruth

Yeah Harpos is such a metal venue, the people their are cool and yes I did feel like those lights would fall on me. Also Coal Chamber was headlining wow.
8/9 Boris
8/30 Morbid Saint/Vektor
Old 05-24-2011, 11:20 AM
Veteran of the Trade

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDriver1995 View Post
Yeah Harpos is such a metal venue, the people their are cool and yes I did feel like those lights would fall on me. Also Coal Chamber was headlining wow.
Yeah I saw Coal Chamber Headline over Slipknot in '99 with Dope at a tejano bar here. The name of the club was actually Tejano Texas and when Slipknot came on stage they brought out a ladder and tried to steal a neon cactus light off the wall. It was bolted to the wall so they couldn't get it off. After they got off stage they were all walking around the crowd drinking beer. I was able to get Sid and Corey's autograph on my ticket stub.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:29 PM
TiradesOfTruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower View Post
Yeah I saw Coal Chamber Headline over Slipknot in '99 with Dope at a tejano bar here. The name of the club was actually Tejano Texas and when Slipknot came on stage they brought out a ladder and tried to steal a neon cactus light off the wall. It was bolted to the wall so they couldn't get it off. After they got off stage they were all walking around the crowd drinking beer. I was able to get Sid and Corey's autograph on my ticket stub.
That's awesome, I love club shows because they are so much more intimate then arena shows.
8/9 Boris
8/30 Morbid Saint/Vektor
Old 05-24-2011, 03:05 PM
N00B

I was at this show. Your setlist is correct. I really liked Mine Enemies Fall a lot. I also liked Threat Level. Soldiers of Scrape plays almost every single Harpos show.

I don't mind the # of bands, but Harpos has 2 stages, so use them both! That way DD can go on at a reasonable time and the local bands can play more than 15-20 min each. It's so pointless to sit through 9 set changes on one stage at a venue w/ 2 stages so you can see each local band play 3 songs and have the headliner start at 11:15.

As far as the biggest Harpos crowd... DEFINITELY the Hatebreed/God Forbid show a few years ago where they filmed the DVD. All 3 levels of Harpos were packed that night. I started that show in the pit, and it took me 10 minutes to move about 15 feet to get out of there. Saturday's show had a big crowd, though. WAY bigger than last August when DD played at Harpos w/ Kittie & Kataklysm.
10/5 For Today
10/13 Counterparts
10/16 PJ
11/3 Anberlin
11/5 BOO/Erra
12/9 ETID
12/11 Snot
Old 05-24-2011, 03:28 PM
TiradesOfTruth

Yeah I didn't think it would beat the Hatebreed show but like my cousin said it was bigger then shows like Chimaira, and Destruction. Yeah and is it true that that Medica band got cut short that's just what I hered so I put it in the review.
8/9 Boris
8/30 Morbid Saint/Vektor

Tags
devildriver