Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Unearth -- Ottawa, ON -- April 15th, 2014
Black Sabbath -- Ottawa, ON -- April 13th, 2014
Nile -- Baltimore, MD -- April 15th, 2014
Within Temptation -- Newcastle, England -- April 14th, 2014
Carcass -- Silver Spring, MD -- April 13th, 2014

Old 05-18-2011, 06:51 PM
not the mama

why do people have to "get" the music they listen? Just enjoy the fucking thing, or don't.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:54 PM
I'm the ghoul of the medical profession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indestructible View Post
Hasn't Lady Gaga been around for about two or three years now? Isn't time for her to be forgotten about while pop fans move on to something new only to forget about it in six months.
Wouldn't that indicate that she is superior to most pop music...?

And I don't claim to be a pop music aficionado. I don't know shit about it. Fan wise, lifestyle wise and image wise I find the genre pretty awful, but I can't deny the music's simple catchyness. I don't really give a shit what it is, if it sounds good then I will enjoy it. I'm sure there are plenty of other pop artists I would love, but the genre of music doesn't have enough depth to it to make me care enough to find the good. The only special thing about Lady Gaga (my guess) is that she is insanely popular, so most people even within anti-pop scenes would be exposed to her music.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:56 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzbang11 View Post
Wouldn't that indicate that she is superior to most pop music...?

And I don't claim to be a pop music aficionado. I don't know shit about it. Fan wise, lifestyle wise and image wise I find the genre pretty awful, but I can't deny the music's simple catchyness. I don't really give a shit what it is, if it sounds good then I will enjoy it. I'm sure there are plenty of other pop artists I would love, but the genre of music doesn't have enough depth to it to make me care enough to find the good. The only special thing about Lady Gaga (my guess) is that she is insanely popular, so most people even within anti-pop scenes would be exposed to her music.
By this logic, I should be recommending you tons of AOR/Melodic Rock bands with catchy songs.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:56 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Does it annoy anyone else besides me that this is actually considered her second studio album?
Old 05-18-2011, 06:58 PM
I'm the ghoul of the medical profession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
By this logic, I should be recommending you tons of AOR/Melodic Rock bands with catchy songs.
Go ahead!
There are very few things I won't listen to on principal. Dubstep is one of them.

Speaking of which, Jeff, what do you think of this?

Last edited by Wizzbang11; 05-18-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:30 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
To put it quite simply, I just don't get it. I'm not trying to deny anyone the right to listen to, like, and post about whatever the hell they want. That shipped sailed about 4 years ago on this board. But I just don't get it. I fail to see what makes Lady Gaga so special - or frankly, anything less than downright annoying, which is how I view her music. It's pretty much a juggernaut of every element I dislike about most pop music rolled into one. I just don't really understand what makes her so different that she's become accepted (seemingly now non-ironically) by so many metal fans. If I was going to cross over into pure pop music, she would definitely not be one of my first choices. Color me confused I guess.
Yeah, I see what you're saying. Her music's isn't that interesting beyond being really catchy (and when you consider the whole point of pop music is to be catchy, that's not really special either). She's a very talented singer, and I like a couple of her songs, but I wouldn't buy a whole album. And yeah, I'm pretty confused as to why she's so popular with this crowd.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:42 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

So this new guy at my job is a total hipster. The glasses he wears gave it away. So today I see him listening to his mp3 player on break (read: not iPod) and I ask him what he's listening to. "Lady Gaga's new album," he said. "I just downloaded it last night."

Old 05-18-2011, 07:59 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
Yeah, I see what you're saying. Her music's isn't that interesting beyond being really catchy (and when you consider the whole point of pop music is to be catchy, that's not really special either). She's a very talented singer, and I like a couple of her songs, but I wouldn't buy a whole album. And yeah, I'm pretty confused as to why she's so popular with this crowd.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:14 AM
We're dying on the inside

More like Strict Faux Individualist Code Set Lists.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:43 AM
Concert Veteran

Hey Lady Gaga fans, guess what Weird Al Yankovic's newest parody is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUxXKfQkswE