Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014
Motley Crue -- Alpharetta, GA -- August 16th, 2014
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 14th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat > Video Games

Old 05-21-2011, 10:49 AM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

174 more days.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:17 PM
The best part of waking up, is Satan in your cup

Also, am I sensing Oblivion hate??
Old 05-22-2011, 01:31 PM

173 more days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_to_the_face View Post
Also, am I sensing Oblivion hate??
I think so. To be honest, Oblivion is far from the perfect game. There isnt a ton of armor or weapon variety, combat boils down to nothing more than slashing your sword mindlessly with the occasional block, magic can be horribly broken at times, and there isnt really ever a true tactical challenge like Baldurs Gate or Dragon Age due to enemies leveling with you.

All that aside, its the little, free-form moments that stick out for me in Oblivion that redeem it...

Being the gray fox, stealing from some rich nobles in the temple district, then removing my mask and talking to guards with my alter ego...

Leading the adoring fan up to the highest cliff top, hearing his ecstatic yelps of joy right before I shoot lightning through his body, sending him down thousands of feet to a crushing death...

Dawning the black cloak of the Dark Brotherhood, sitting on the rooftops of Bravil, sniping off city guards in the shadows, reveling at their deaths in grim satisfaction...

Raiding the cellars of Cheydinhal, stealing all the Tamika Vintage I can get my hands on, then raid the local tavern and drink it all at once...

Spending hours creating new and overpowered spells in the Mages Tower, then testing them on the beggars of the waterfront...

Collecting all the nirnroot i can get my hands on...

I can go on and on.

Last edited by jd091; 05-22-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:35 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
Ok, you are either:

1. Trolling

2. One of those hardcore Morrowind players who won't be appeased by anything

3. On drugs.

Why do you think it looks worse than Oblivion?
I have both Morrowind and Oblivion and I like them both. I was actually just going off of random stuff I see in links to magazine scans. Something like they're taking out a bunch of skills/abilities and stuff like that.
09/14 - Citizen
09/17 - Mineral
09/18 - Clutch
Old 05-22-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
I have both Morrowind and Oblivion and I like them both. I was actually just going off of random stuff I see in links to magazine scans. Something like they're taking out a bunch of skills/abilities and stuff like that.
From what I've read and listened to on podcasts, the streamlining of skills is a good thing. For example, they're cutting out Mysticism, but all the spells that were in Mysticism are being disttibuted to other schools of magic, so nothing is really lost but categorized better. And all the dragon shouts add a ton more complexity to the magic system.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:24 PM
Born Again In Blasphemy

I played Oblivion for 300+ hours across about 5 or 6 characters. I probably played Fallout 3 and New Vegas about 200+ hours combined. So I'm expecting to be playing this game for quite a while once it's out.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:27 PM
Born Again In Blasphemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
Dawning the black cloak of the Dark Brotherhood, sitting on the rooftops of Bravil, sniping off city guards in the shadows, reveling at their deaths in grim satisfaction...
The Dark Brotherhood questline was the best part of Oblivion I think. All those assassin missions were awesome and the twist at the end of that questline was great.

I liked all of the side quests in Oblivion. The worst part of Oblivion for me was probably the main questline and the Oblivion gates. I onlhy went through the Oblivion gates I had to to get through the main quest because I found them boring. All of the guild questlines were great though.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srm90 View Post
The Dark Brotherhood questline was the best part of Oblivion I think. All those assassin missions were awesome and the twist at the end of that questline was great.

I liked all of the side quests in Oblivion. The worst part of Oblivion for me was probably the main questline and the Oblivion gates. I onlhy went through the Oblivion gates I had to to get through the main quest because I found them boring. All of the guild questlines were great though.
I agree with all of this. Dark Brotherhood was by far the best guild questline, though I felt the Thieves came real, real close. Stealing the elder scroll was one of the coolest missions in the game.

I probably put 200+ hours in my main playthrough, and only about 15-20 were in the main quest. Thats what I hated about Fallout 3- it lacked the guilds. All of the guilds were fantastic, deep, and interesting. I think I've gone back through all the guilds at least 3 times now; the prospect of all new guilds in a totally new world is what excites me the most about Skyrim.

And I wonder if they will add any new guilds? I never got very far into Morrowind, but there were definitely some interesting guild questlines with the Imperial Cult and Legion, the Morag Tong, and all the Houses you could join. I think thats a wonderful thing that Skyrim is bringing back to the series that Oblivion lacked: your choices of what guild you joined deeply affected how you played the game. Todd Howard said that, like Morrowind for example, if you are in the fighters guild, then the Theives guild will be your mortal enemies. You can't be everything at once, and consequently, it makes the world feel more believable and organic.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:00 AM

172 more days.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:20 AM

171 more days.