Fleetwood Mac -- Minneapolis, MN -- September 30th, 2014
The Story So Far -- Lawrence, KS -- September 30th, 2014
Coheed and Cambria -- Boston, MA -- September 28th, 2014
Vixen -- Madrid, Spain -- September 27th, 2014
Crowbar -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- September 28th, 2014

Old 05-03-2011, 09:26 PM
One who onions things

Death Angel -- Santa Clara -- April 23rd, 2011

Death Angel played a show 10 minutes from home for 20 bucks, so why not go? The show was originally 21+, but they probably didn't sell enough tickets so they changed it to all ages at the last minute. As such, the only kids ended up being little ones dragged along by parents and me and my friends.

My buddy Patrick and I got to the show way too early, but in exchange we got to meet Mark and Ted right outside. They're both crazy friendly and eager to talk to fans. Mark even remembered that I was the kid who yelled "chug chug chug" at the San Francisco show last February! This show was at the Avalon in Santa Clara, which is this "nightclub" with a bigass bar and a tiny floor. This place wins the award for "Laziest Promoters Ever." All these guys do is search MySpace for any local bands described as "metal" and have them open up. They don't even bother to find bands well-known in the local scene. Example: my friend I brought to the show, Patrick, at one time had a band with two other friends of mine from high school. They had no singer and no bassist, just a MySpace profile with two recordings of them fucking around. They got an offer from the promoter for the Avalon asking them if they wanted to open up for the Michael Schenker Group. Point is, these guys are terrible at finding openers for shows, and this was no different. We got a bad Meshuggah wannabe band, a death/thrash band, a band who I can't remember for the life of me, and possibly the most generic mallcore/hipster metal band I have ever seen. They were called Left of Christ, and I remember their name because they were so goddamn terrible. They wore flannel, their singer had his medium length hair in his eyes, and he alternate between growling and this horrible clean metalcore singing. It was the single worst band I've seen since that rapist clown band Bomb and Scary last October (coincidentally, also at the Avalon! HMMMM). During these opening bands, Pat and I met up with a few more friends. We decided that Left of Christ was so bad that we would rather risk cancer via second hand smoke and hang out in the smoking area outside instead of having to listen to them.

Well anyway, there's nothing more to say about this Death Angel tour that hasn't been said already. The setlist rips, the new tunes come off real well, Mark is a beast of a singer, and Thrashers is amazingly kickass live. During Thrashers I went nuts in the little, but dedicated pit full of older folks going on. However some crazy fucker tried to start a fight, and security came and killed the pit. It wasn't nearly as fun as San Francisco was (the party that was Bonded By Blood + Lazarus A.D. + Death Angel = Thrashers orgy will never be recreated), but this time I knew more tunes, and the show was WAY more intimate.

All in all, Death Angel was fun, everyone else sucked hard. We headed home, with a satisfactory Saturday night under our belts

1. I Chose the Sky
2. Evil Priest
3. Buried Alive
4. Mistress of Pain
5. Claws In So Deep
6. Seemingly Endless Time
7. This Hate
8. Relentless Revolution
9. Truce
10. Purgatory / Veil of Deception
11. Opponents at Sides
12. Bored / Heaven And Hell
13. Thrashers
ENCORE
14. Lord of Hate
15. River of Rapture
16. The Ultra-Violence / Thrown to the Wolves
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16
Old 05-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onioner View Post
Death Angel played a show 10 minutes from home for 20 bucks, so why not go? The show was originally 21+,
I knew about it when it was 21+ but I never knew it got changed!
Old 05-03-2011, 10:13 PM
One who onions things

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
I knew about it when it was 21+ but I never knew it got changed!
Yeah dude, literally the day of the show, we were planning on having my friend's guitar teacher get us in, but then we called to ask if there were any tickets left, and we asked if it was all ages just for the hell of it. So we got lucky pretty much.

How was Destruction? I ended up deciding not to go like 2 hours before we were supposed to leave because I felt absolutely horrible and drowsy as hell.
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16
Old 05-03-2011, 10:16 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

Quote:
How was Destruction? I ended up deciding not to go like 2 hours before we were supposed to leave because I felt absolutely horrible and drowsy as hell.
I straight up forgot to go. I had all my stuff ready, going to get going, then something caught my attention and I looked at my clock and it was like 1 am.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:43 PM
One who onions things

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
I straight up forgot to go. I had all my stuff ready, going to get going, then something caught my attention and I looked at my clock and it was like 1 am.

Wait what? When were you planning to leave, like 7 or 8? What could have possibly distracted you for three to five hours?
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16
Old 05-03-2011, 11:17 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Quote:
Wait what? When were you planning to leave, like 7 or 8? What could have possibly distracted you for three to five hours?
He was caught in a time warp. Probably skipped ahead in time a few hours by passing through a wormhole.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:09 AM
N00B

Destruction was great !!! you guys missed out ! bigtime they played all the killer jams mostly old opened with Curse the gods and then right into mad butcher !

Tags
death angel