Venue: Royal Oak Music Theatre, Royal Oak, MI
Tour: Neverender - Second Stage Turbine Blade

Acoustic Set

1. Always & Never
2. Mother Superior
3. Pearl of the Stars
4. Iron Fist
5. Milk Foot (Davenport Cabinet cover)
6. Who Watches the Watchmen? (The Prize Figher Inferno cover)
7. Here We Are Juggernaut
8. Wake Up

Second Stage Turbine Blade

9. Second Stage Turbine Blade
10. Time Consumer
11. Devil In Jersey City
12. Everything Evil

The band paused for a bit after "Everything Evil" and asked the crowd to chill the fuck out.

13. Delirium Trigger
14. Hearshot Kid Diaster
15. 33
16. Junesong Provision
17. Neverender
18. God Send Conspirator
19. IRO-Bot

Encore

20. Far
21. Ten Speed (Of God's Blood And Burial)
22. No World For Tomorrow
23. Welcome Home
24. The Black Rainbow

25. Elf Tower New Mexico (Acoustic)

Well there's the Coheed and Cambria set from Friday. Obviously it's not changing night to night, but still, it's a damn fine set, so I can't complain. I'm frankly really happy this set stayed the same because there's a lot of killer material here, so on to the show:

I went with two friends to this show and we showed up at the venue around 3:30 and doors were at 7. We were maybe about 20th in line. Key word: were. Around 6 the venue asked people who printed their tickets at home to form a different line. This line got in first. So we were more like 150th in. Oh well, it's not like we wasted a day standing around in line or anything...

The band started around 8 with the acoustic set. Luckily we were down front, but maybe six or so rows of people back. Decent enough view, but still disappointing considering how early we got there.

I wasn't really looking forward to the acoustic set, but I have to say that it was fucking solid. The mix was also awesome for this. Great vibe from the crowd and the band, and just awesome performances, really. Easily the part of the show I enjoyed the most.

There was a decently long break between the acoustic and Second Stage Turbine Blade sets. As soon as the band launched into "Time Consumer" the crowd surged forward pushing us well over ten feet forward. Things kind of settled down and it was a normal energetic crowd sway for the song. Lots of singing along and jumping and shit like that. For "Devil In Jersey City" though shit started getting out of control. It was a fight for anyone in the front to stay on their feet, because we were getting pushed ten feet in every direction. Elbows and fists were flying. It was hard to even focus on the fact that there was a band playing because I was just lost in a sea of violent and moving people. I appreciate passion and enthusiasm, and I don't mind mosh pits (there was one farther back) but it was getting unpleasant and fast.

During "Everything Evil" it just got worse and I decided I had had enough. The three of us were all getting torn in different directions and I didn't feel like spending an entire concert getting punched and punching back, so along with another buddy we started to back out of the crazy crowd and go farther back. Amazingly we didn't have to go far before the sea of insanity just stopped, and we were able to stand without getting pushed and actually see the band play.

Their performances were energetic and right on target, by the way.

After "Everything Evil" though the band stopped playing for a bit and Mic Todd asked the crowd to take a step back and start taking it easy on the people at the front of the crowd. According to my buddy who stayed down front things gradually calmed down. I wish I would've stayed down there then, but oh well... This crowd just sucked. My friend said people were having cell phones stolen, people were picking memory cards out and chucking phones, etc. And from farther back we watched as the crowd in the front would literally take the people crowd surfing and throw them to the ground.

Anger problems, Michigan?

Anyways, the band tore through the rest of SSTB and followed that up with a solid encore set. "Welcome Home" = fuck yeah, period.

Here's a short video clip of "Pearl of the Stars" I grabbed with my phone.

TL;DR: Fuck yeah, Coheed. Fuck you, Michigan.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:30 AM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

Crowds at CC shows are awful - at my show, there was a girl in a wheelchair 'on' the rail, and after the acoustic set finished, the crowd went insane and this girl started getting grinded from all sides. Every time the big guys around her would push everyone back to give her space (security was trying to get her over the rail) they'd come in faster and harder than before. Eventually she got out, but the band didn't say a word. People were crowdsurfing too, but the venue security were there to gently bring them down.

Shit.
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 05-02-2011, 12:17 PM
How're yeh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalDescent View Post
Crowds at CC shows are awful - at my show, there was a girl in a wheelchair 'on' the rail, and after the acoustic set finished, the crowd went insane and this girl started getting grinded from all sides. Every time the big guys around her would push everyone back to give her space (security was trying to get her over the rail) they'd come in faster and harder than before. Eventually she got out, but the band didn't say a word. People were crowdsurfing too, but the venue security were there to gently bring them down.

Shit.
not to sound like a dick but it kinda seems like her fault for going 'on' the rail. it's like the guys with girlfriends who get pissed when they're near pits and get 'hit'.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:21 PM
The Cheese

Quote:

Shit.
That sucks, but it seems like bad news to be down in the front in a wheel chair at any show, unless you have some people to get your back... and even then.

Yeah, the venue security at Royal Oak worked pretty hard to get the crowd surfers. It was just weird how some of the crowd was just throwing the surfers around. Just seemed senselessly mean.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:28 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Damn, that reminds me of when I saw Killswitch Engage and when I saw Deadmau5: NOT FUN TO BE UP FRONT.

Kind of pissed that I had to miss this tour, but it was because I saw Dillinger Escape Plan instead. One of the few bands I would want to see more than Coheed, and it was totally worth it in my book. Good review though, sucks to hear about the line shit!
Old 05-02-2011, 12:38 PM
Bobb O)))

that shit's lame, the shows i've been to, the crowd was crazy, but not in a bad way
10/4-Melvins
Old 05-02-2011, 12:44 PM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
Damn, that reminds me of when I saw Killswitch Engage and when I saw Deadmau5: NOT FUN TO BE UP FRONT.

Kind of pissed that I had to miss this tour, but it was because I saw Dillinger Escape Plan instead. One of the few bands I would want to see more than Coheed, and it was totally worth it in my book. Good review though, sucks to hear about the line shit!
Deadmau? What happened?
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 05-02-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Deadmau? What happened?
It was a sold out concert at the Congress Theater in Chicago, which is a gigantic venue. My friends and I got there early and we were in the second row. By the time deadmau5 was gettin on, we were getting crushed so hard by people pushing to the front that I was legitimately worried that someone could have died from the crush. I couldnt even lift my hands from my sides. We ended up peeling back to about the middle of the venue, where it was more open and we actually had room to dance. I can totally see how people die from European electronic music festivals; it was a little scary. Great performance though, one of the coolest live shows you can see.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
We ended up peeling back to about the middle of the venue, where it was more open and we actually had room to dance.
fags
Old 05-02-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
fags

Tags
coheed and cambria