Tankcrimes Brainsqueeze 2 -- Oakland, CA -- April 18th, 2014
Unearth -- Pontiac, MI -- April 17th, 2014
Wayne Static -- Birmingham, AL -- April 17th, 2014
Ghost -- Toronto, Ontario -- April 17th, 2014
Rainbow Bar & Grill 42nd Anniversary -- West Hollywood, CA -- April 13th, 2014

Old 05-01-2011, 08:17 PM
How you gonna rip it like this, son?!

Symphony X -- Chicago, IL -- May 1st, 2011

My friend and I got to the Bottom Lounge around 4:30 right before the meet and greet people got in. Sadly that was $100 which I didn't have when ordering my ticket (and still don't now) but it was an hour before everyone else got in.

I rushed to use the bathroom fast and check out merch because I had planned to get up front and stay there the whole time. I got a Powerglove sticker and a Symphony X Iconoclast tour shirt. I didn't make it first row like I wanted to but behind one person wasn't bad either, I was there for pretty much the entire show.

A local band, Earthen Grave was added to the lineup and they were pretty good. They played traditional heavy/doom metal, reminded me a lot of Black Sabbath. The vocalist was really good and was interacting with the people in the front before they started playing.

Blackguard was up next. In all honesty, I don't like their music at all but they had some of the craziest stage presence I've seen. They had to cut their set short because the show had to end early (it got out around 9:35, Blackguard came on around 6:15 I believe) so they only played songs from their new album. I don't have a setlist for it but I know they opened with Firefight. I met the drummer after the show and talked to her for a bit, she was wasted as hell. She actually said "eh" when talking and I did whatever I could to not laugh. But she was really cool, as was the rest of the band.

Powerglove was next, and GOD DAMN they were awesome! They were throwing out free Starburst into the crowd and during Metal Kombat for the Mortal man they threw out balloon swords and a hammer, I actually got a sword (link to pic at the bottom)! They actually got everyone to chant "FUCK THAT BIRD!" during most of Storm Eagle as well. The costumes that they put on were really cool looking and their stage presence was phenomenal. I may have to go to Summer Slaughter just to see them again, they were that good.

Powerglove set list:

X-Men
Storm Eagle
Metal Kombat for the Mortal Man
Omnishred (We're Gonna Need a Bigger Sword)
Tetris
Gotta Catch 'Em All
Mario Minor

And finally, what I've been waiting to see for 3 years now, Symphony X. Like everyone else who saw and reviewed them, they were perfect. Everything sounded awesome, even with Bottom Lounge's questionable sound. I was singing along literally the whole time. The band often interacted with people in the crowd, I could tell that they loved Chicago. The set list was the same as every other show, but I actually loved what they played. With that said, now that I've seen The Odyssey live, I'm one step closer to dying happy. Michael Romeo actually dropped his pick playing the beginning slow part of The Odyssey when Russel sings for the first time and I was trying to signal one of them to get it but a guy used the sword I got from Powerglove's set to get it on stage for himself which I didn't mind, I never would've thought of that! Michael Romeo was laughing when he saw that though Another funny highlight from that song was Russel singing "I miss the rolling hills of... Chicago!" What hills?

Symphony X set list:

Of Sins and Shadows
Domination
Serpent's Kiss
The End of Innocence
Paradise Lost
Smoke and Mirrors
Eve of Seduction
Dehumanized
Set the World on Fire (The Lie of Lies)
--
The Odyssey

So overall, amazing show, Symphony X and Powerglove alone made it one of the best I've been too even though I was up front sandwiched between people the whole time. Symphony X says that they'll be back after the new album is released on June 21st so we'll see what happens!

Powerglove Sword: https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net..._8355504_n.jpg
Old 05-01-2011, 08:20 PM
Buahahahahaha

Nice review bro. I'm getting pumped for this show.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:24 PM
That Guy

I couldn't be more pissed about missing this show tomorrow night.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:13 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Cool show, I had a lot of fun. Blackguard was actually a lot better than I expected, but it was a little annoying when the singer kept calling out for people to start pits. I mean, I love moshes, but dude, its a power metal show. People just want to chill.

Anyway, my only gripe- which was pretty big- is that I felt like the sound for SX was complete shit. I could not hear the guitars at all, Domination sounded like a big muddy mess of bass. It was supremely annoying to me.

I also didn't realize how fat Michael Romeo has gotten! Damn. It felt kind of awkward watching him, but he shredded perfectly anyway. And holy shit, Russel Allen was a fucking sex GOD on that stage. He almost turned me gay. The hair flowing back... the unbuttoned shirt... suggestive poses and tight pants...

Old 05-01-2011, 10:18 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
.I also didn't realize how fat Michael Romeo has gotten!
I may have missed something, but I've been a Symphony X fan for about 7 years now and Michael Romeo has pretty much always been relatively fat/bloated looking, and based on the newest pictures I've seen he's not really looking much different.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:36 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
I may have missed something, but I've been a Symphony X fan for about 7 years now and Michael Romeo has pretty much always been relatively fat/bloated looking, and based on the newest pictures I've seen he's not really looking much different.
Eh, I guess you're right. It was my first time seeing them live. From the pictures I saw of him, he looked like he held his weight a little better. Good photo angles? Who really cares, its all about the music anyway.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:25 AM
How you gonna rip it like this, son?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
Cool show, I had a lot of fun. Blackguard was actually a lot better than I expected, but it was a little annoying when the singer kept calling out for people to start pits. I mean, I love moshes, but dude, its a power metal show. People just want to chill.

Anyway, my only gripe- which was pretty big- is that I felt like the sound for SX was complete shit. I could not hear the guitars at all, Domination sounded like a big muddy mess of bass. It was supremely annoying to me.

I also didn't realize how fat Michael Romeo has gotten! Damn. It felt kind of awkward watching him, but he shredded perfectly anyway. And holy shit, Russel Allen was a fucking sex GOD on that stage. He almost turned me gay. The hair flowing back... the unbuttoned shirt... suggestive poses and tight pants...

Yeah I couldn't hear the guitars near the beginning but as the set went on the guitars were more audible to me.

And bands wanting to start pits is one of my biggest pet peeves about shows, especially when they don't fit in (like this show, for example). I understand a lot of people have fun with Blackguard live but this really wasn't the show for it. At least they didn't make a huge deal about it like I've seen most bands do.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:33 PM
PAAAAAAANTURRRUUUHHHHHH!! !!!!

Going to this show tomorrow, hopefully it'll be good. Going to try to Party Van with Blackguard, I'm friends with them so... wont be too hard lol

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 05-05-2011, 04:56 PM
I can't stop thinking big

I can't wait to see them again in the fall.
7/18 - Iron Maiden/Alice Cooper

Tags
powerglove, symphony x