Fit For A King -- Detroit, MI -- October 21st, 2014
Judas Priest -- Kansas City, MO -- October 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 05-08-2011, 10:19 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellawaits77ny View Post
After a pretty so-so opener
"Sculpting The Throne Ov Seth" is a beast of a song! Are you kidding me?!

And by far the best song off of this album, and perhaps my favorite Behemoth song of all time, is "The Reign Ov Shemsu-Hor", the brutally epic 8 minute long ending track. You're missing that.

Still, this album deserves a spot on any death metal list. Great band.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:03 PM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
"Sculpting The Throne Ov Seth" is a beast of a song! Are you kidding me?!

And by far the best song off of this album, and perhaps my favorite Behemoth song of all time, is "The Reign Ov Shemsu-Hor", the brutally epic 8 minute long ending track. You're missing that.

Still, this album deserves a spot on any death metal list. Great band.
I do like the opener, just not as much as some of the other tunes. Shemsu-Hor is a solid track

11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm (?)
11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 05-10-2011, 12:39 AM

Job For a Cowboy
Genesis

Bring on more hate. Say what you want about these guys, I really enjoy their shit. This album is such an improvement over their 1st EP 'Doom'. Though there are still some deathcore undertones, they graduated to straight up modern death metal on this one. A couple months ago, this stayed in my car CD player for about 2 weeks straight. It had been quite a while since I had an done that. I can listen to the entire album and enjoy every tune. As I've mentioned before, that's a huge barometer of an album's quality IMO. I'm indifferent on concept albums, but I dug the subjects of this one. The concept isn't anything original, but it's written well (especially since these guys were like 18-21 at the time) and interesting. The birth of the AntiChrist -> the VeriChip being the Mark of The Beast -> The AntiChrist taking over the world. Each song builds on the last, before the ending track tells of the "new world."

'Bearing The Serpents Lamb' is such a killer song. Definately one of my all-time favorite death metal numbers. Jonny Davy rips out some great growls in this one, and the "structure" of the song is great. It isn't structured at all! It's a shitload of riffs and rythyms without any discernable pattern. Usually this means shit, but for whatever reason it works in this song. Lyrics are pretty cool too. Track 2, 'Reduced To Mere Filth' picks up and continues the brutality nicely. The hit 'Embedded' is another tune I enjoy. It finally offers some variation to the album. Slower in parts, more time w/o vocals, and a nice solo at the end. 'Strings of Hypocrisy' and 'Martyrdom Unsealed' are a nice 6-7 punch. Again, nothing real different, but I think they just simply enjoyed their sound during recording and production, and didn't fuck with it. And also, really good drumming throughout. I will say that is one area where there WAS some variation. As far as pure enjoyment of this record, I could absolutely rank this one higher. But I have some criticisms : It took me a while to differentiate about 5 different songs. For the most part, the album is pretty similar. They also don't let the riffs breath. Most songs only feature about 20-30 seconds of music sans vocals. Lastly, the few solos on this record are pretty solid, IMO. No reason not to include more.

Standout Tracks
Bearing The Serpents' Lamb
Embedded - Shamelessly promoting one of my own vids

11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 05-10-2011, 08:14 AM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellawaits77ny View Post
Job For a Cowboy
Genesis

C'mon you were on a roll back there!
Old 05-10-2011, 08:49 AM
Pursue happiness with diligence

no
Old 05-10-2011, 09:02 AM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

I don't necessarily agree, but I see your points and respect your opinion.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:14 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

I love Job For A Cowboy, but I didn't really Genesis too much outside of Bearing The Serpent's Lamb, Reduced To Mere Filth and Embedded. I thought it was alright, but really nothing special. Ruination blows it out of the water in every possible way imo.

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 05-10-2011, 02:45 PM
I can't stop thinking big

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
no
This.
7/18 - Iron Maiden/Alice Cooper
Old 05-10-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
Ruination blows it out of the water
I agree

11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 05-10-2011, 11:46 PM

Cannibal Corpse
Gore Obsessed

Most definately one of CC's less celebreated releases, but I don't know why. When I first bought this CD when it came out, I remember listening to the first few tracks a lot, but not the rest. Big mistake. This album kills all the way through. Some really unknown gems are stuck in the middle and end of this album, and most of them have never been played live unfortunately. Great story with this album; I use to deliver pizza in college, and there was a particularly crazy night at work where I played this album in it's entirety about 4 times through. My head rang for about 2 days afterwards.

'Savage Butchery' is a short, brutal, blisteringly fast opener, and a great live tune. 'Pit Of Zombies' remains one of my favorite CC tracks. It isn't their fastest nor most brutal tune, which is why it's special. It has a heavy, brooding main riff synched w/ an always solid bass rythym courtesy of Alex Webster. Corpsegrinder shows his amazing range in this one too. Ripping solo in this one, too. It's another song that kills live. 'Compelled To Lacerate' and 'Dormant Bodies Bursting' keep the middle of the album fresh and steady. 'Sanded Faceless' is the best track from the last few tunes. My favorite part is the chorus, as Corpsegrinder rips out some of his almost impossibly fast growls. Amazing how he can do some of his lyrics so fast while keeping them so gutteral. As with all of CC's albums from the 2000's there's nothing really new or shocking in any of the tracks, but their medium-technical prowess and old school brutality shows why they're arguably the most popular death metal band in the world today, and maybe ever. As I said before, this is not one of their celebrated or "classic" albums, but in my opinion, it should be.

Standout Tracks
Savage Butchery
Pit Of Zombies

11/25-Slayer (?)

Last edited by hellawaits77ny; 07-07-2011 at 10:14 PM.