Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

- A-;;; baka gaijin
10/05 - Macabre
10/07 - Knuckle Puck
Old 05-06-2011, 11:21 PM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellawaits77ny View Post
See my above post, Duder. And there's 20+ more to list, so don't get too fudgy!!!!
I have no problem with you excluding things that people consider essential or bands that have incredible musicianship (that's not always the most important part anyway). It's more that I feel you haven't explored death metal enough yet. I'm sure you've heard plenty of albums, but it seems like there are plenty more that you haven't heard. Now I don't mean this to sound like "there isn't enough old school albums" because that's not it. I just think there are many modern death metal albums that are worlds better than the ones you've shared thus far. So, I don't mean to come off as a prick or anything of that sort. I'd recommend you stuff to check out if you would like!
Old 05-06-2011, 11:22 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
- A-;;; baka gaijin
This is what it looks like to have an epileptic fit and pass out on your keyboard. I don't think he survived.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:25 PM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
I have no problem with you excluding things that people consider essential or bands that have incredible musicianship (that's not always the most important part anyway). It's more that I feel you haven't explored death metal enough yet. I'm sure you've heard plenty of albums, but it seems like there are plenty more that you haven't heard. Now I don't mean this to sound like "there isn't enough old school albums" because that's not it. I just think there are many modern death metal albums that are worlds better than the ones you've shared thus far. So, I don't mean to come off as a prick or anything of that sort. I'd recommend you stuff to check out if you would like!
You're completely right. I'm sure there is a lot I haven't heard. But I have explored quite a bit. Not calling myself a death metal expert by any means. Just saying that I've explored a lot of shit I had never heard of until recently. I will admit, there is plenty of death metal I simply don't like, that's probably why you're suprised by my list thus far. What do you dig for newer shit?

11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm (?)
11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 05-06-2011, 11:26 PM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
You're completely right. I'm sure there is a lot I haven't heard. But I have explored quite a bit. Not calling myself a death metal expert by any means. Just saying that I've explored a lot of shit I had never heard of until recently. I will admit, there is plenty of death metal I simply don't like, that's probably why you're suprised by my list thus far. What do you dig for newer shit?
I'll put together a list to PM you.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:30 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
I'll put together a list to PM you.
Thanks Man, look forward to it.

11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 05-07-2011, 01:32 AM

Malevolent Creation
Retribution

Old school Florida death metal. Definately one of my favorite "sub"-subgenres of death metal. This is a band that most people have heard of, but they are generally a disrespected afterthought. They are known for a great live show, but their studio releases don't get much love. Granted, some of their albums have been boring, and their first 2 albums were definately their best, but I still think they make release decent records. Hell, I enjoy listening to them, and that's what matters to me. Unfortunately for the band, they've only had one permanent member in Phil Fasciana. The rest of the positions have seen many changes, especially 2nd guitar and drums. Could they have kept a more steady lineup, their other releases may have been closer to the quality of their first 2.

I really dig Brett Hoffman's voice. It's not quite a death metal growl, and it's not quite a thrash yell. Unique. Thrash-death I suppose. He also belts out some amazing screams, and can still pull them off live to this day. This album starts out w/ 'Eve of The Apocalypse', which is often their live show opener. I love the main riff of this song, and the double bass pounds through most of it. On top of all that, it has a pretty cool intro to it. Another thing about MC that I like, and not a lot of death metal bands do it, are fast lyrics. This album doesn't see as much of these as their debut does, but they are here. 'Coronation of Our Domain' is probably my 2nd favorite track. It's slower, but w/ a heavy as hell chug-a-chug to it, and has some solid lyrics. Ends with a good solo. Other than that, most of the songs are pretty similar, but IMO there isn't a weak track on here. If you check out their live sets, they almost always include 3-4 songs from this album, obviously for good reason.

Standout Tracks
Eve of The Apocalypse - shamelessly promoting one of my vids
Coronation of Our Domain

11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 05-07-2011, 02:12 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:

Malevolent Creation
Retribution

Old school Florida death metal. Definately one of my favorite "sub"-subgenres of death metal. This is a band that most people have heard of, but they are generally a disrespected afterthought. They are known for a great live show, but their studio releases don't get much love. Granted, some of their albums have been boring, and their first 2 albums were definately their best, but I still think they make release decent records. Hell, I enjoy listening to them, and that's what matters to me. Unfortunately for the band, they've only had one permanent member in Phil Fasciana. The rest of the positions have seen many changes, especially 2nd guitar and drums. Could they have kept a more steady lineup, their other releases may have been closer to the quality of their first 2.

I really dig Brett Hoffman's voice. It's not quite a death metal growl, and it's not quite a thrash yell. Unique. Thrash-death I suppose. He also belts out some amazing screams, and can still pull them off live to this day. This album starts out w/ 'Eve of The Apocalypse', which is often their live show opener. I love the main riff of this song, and the double bass pounds through most of it. On top of all that, it has a pretty cool intro to it. Another thing about MC that I like, and not a lot of death metal bands do it, are fast lyrics. This album doesn't see as much of these as their debut does, but they are here. 'Coronation of Our Domain' is probably my 2nd favorite track. It's slower, but w/ a heavy as hell chug-a-chug to it, and has some solid lyrics. Ends with a good solo. Other than that, most of the songs are pretty similar, but IMO there isn't a weak track on here. If you check out their live sets, they almost always include 3-4 songs from this album, obviously for good reason.

Standout Tracks
Eve of The Apocalypse - shamelessly promoting one of my vids
Coronation of Our Domain
I definitely agree with you that they are better live. Their albums aren't bad, I just don't ever get the urge to give them a spin.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:28 PM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
I really dig Brett Hoffman's voice. It's not quite a death metal growl, and it's not quite a thrash yell. Unique. Thrash-death I suppose. He also belts out some amazing screams, and can still pull them off live to this day.
I completely agree with this. I love the vocals.

Last edited by treghet; 05-07-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:18 PM

Behemoth
Demigod

I remember the first time I heard Behemoth, I was watching Headbanger's Ball back in 2006. I saw the video for 'Conquer All', and I remember thinking, "Man, that drumming is just awesome." While I dug the track, I didn't really listen to them much until I finally saw them live at the 2009 Mayhem Fest. I checked out a lot of their shit after that, and this one stands out as my favorite. And as a side note, it's great to see Nergel's recovery is coming along well, and he's back on stage. Can't wait for these guys to tour NA.

After a pretty so-so opener, the title track makes up for it quick. I love the slow "dunnn......dun nuh nu nuhhhh" rythym and the awesome blast beats throughout. I admit, it took me a few listens to for Nergel's voice to grow on me, but it really has. 'Conquer All' then comes in, and while it's not the most brutal song, it's simply a great tune. It's slower verses, and then blast beat-fueled sections play off each other nicely. To top it all off, a killer solo at the end. 'Towards Babylon' is another good track, and I'm really sold on 'Slaves Shall Serve.' Ha, it's one of the few blackened death metal songs I would call "catchy", but it is. SLAVES SHALL SERVE!! SLAVES SHALL SERVE!! The album's overall listenability and heaviness along with excellent production and sound quality solidifies this record as a classic.

Standout Tracks
Demigod
Conquer All

11/25-Slayer (?)