Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

After The Burial -- Flint, MI -- September 20th, 2014
Periphery -- Lansing, MI -- September 19th, 2014
Otherwise -- Sturtevant, WI -- September 19th, 2014
Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014
Riot Fest -- Denver, CO -- September 19th, 2014


Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 05-06-2011, 08:57 PM
jd091's Avatar
jd091 jd091 is offline
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerMaiden View Post
Amon Fucking Amarth should be in that list, mandatory
If there isn't Amon Amarth in the top 10, I will hunt you down, Hellawaits.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-06-2011, 08:59 PM
illuminatus917's Avatar
illuminatus917 illuminatus917 is offline
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: the mountains, NC
Posts: 3,041
Blog Entries: 2
No Amon Amarth album should be in the top 10 death metal albums of all time.
__________________
Never whistle while you're pissing.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-06-2011, 09:37 PM
idrinkwine732's Avatar
idrinkwine732 idrinkwine732 is offline
Pursue happiness with diligence
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 4,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatus917 View Post
No Amon Amarth album should be in the top 10 death metal albums of all time.
Yo.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-06-2011, 10:07 PM
hellawaits77ny's Avatar
hellawaits77ny hellawaits77ny is offline
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 3,740
Blog Entries: 25
#24



Whitechapel
The Somatic Defilement
2007


Bring on the hate. Yes, I admit : Deathcore is one of the worst things to happen to metal in a long time. BUT, I do like some deathcore. There are so many generic, shitty-ass deathcore bands who do nothing but "dun dun dun dundundun" breakdowns and lack any form of quality musicianship. There is one band that was able to do this and sound good to my ears: Whitechapel. So many bands have came out since Whitechapel released this album, and nearly all of them are just awful. I agree their 2 newer releases, 'This Is Exile' and 'A New Era Of Corruption', have seen them evolve into better musicians + songwriters. While I don't dislike those albums, they're just aren't anything special to me. 'The Somatic Defilement' is just basic, kick-you-in-the-balls deathcore. Brutal brutal brutal. Lyrics are pretty cool, too. A 1st person narration of the Jack The Ripper murders. Not original, but I think they did a good job of writing some sick lyrics.

The album starts off w/ a cool intro that features a quote by Jeffrey Dahmer. It gets quite brutal from there. The title track is a basic, heavy, brutal track. The 4th track 'Prostatic Fluid Asphyxiation' stands out as my favorite Whitchapel tune. Again, there's no magic formula to it, it's just brutal heavy shit. 'Vicer Exciser' is another great tune at the end of the album. I give their lead singer some credit, too. The first few times I heard WC, he seemed like a typical one-dimension growler. After getting into them more, I realized he isn't bad. I wouldn't call him spectacular, but he's talented. This is an album that I can listen to from beginning to end without feeling the need to skip anything. That is the mark of a great album IMO. As I said, there's nothing special about what these guys did on this album. For some reason, the generic, simple brutalness of this record sounds great to me. I don't claim this album is anything spectacular musically, nor am I saying Whitechapel is a death metal great, I just truly enjoy listening to this album. Makes me feel kinda dirty, too. Just punches you in the face and doesn't stop!

Standout Tracks
Prostatic Fluid Asphysxiation
Vicer Exciser
__________________
youtube.com/user/hellawaits77NY

11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm (?)
11/25-Slayer (?)

Last edited by hellawaits77ny; 05-06-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 05-06-2011, 10:11 PM
illuminatus917's Avatar
illuminatus917 illuminatus917 is offline
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: the mountains, NC
Posts: 3,041
Blog Entries: 2
Noooooooooooooooooo
__________________
Never whistle while you're pissing.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 05-06-2011, 10:37 PM
JLRedWing13's Avatar
JLRedWing13 JLRedWing13 is offline
I can't stop thinking big
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 1,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellawaits77ny View Post

Whitechapel
The Somatic Defilement
2007

__________________
5/6 - Rammstein
5/16 - Meshuggah/Baroness
5/18-5/20 - Rock On The Range
7/18 - Iron Maiden/Alice Cooper
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 05-06-2011, 10:46 PM
jd091's Avatar
jd091 jd091 is offline
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,265
You know what Hellawaits, thank you for having the balls to put this on there. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

If you've read my posts in the past, you know how I feel about deathcore.

This is a little scary for me reading how you feel about the Somatic Defilement, because those words could have literally come directly from my mouth. I know that 99% of people on this forum hate deathcore, and primarily Whitechapel, but I think you and I are in that 1% that appreciate it for what it is, and actually enjoy listening to it. Its a fair enough position for it; if I made a list of this, not too high but high enough for good recognition. This album really does have good points to it, especially lyrically for me, and I'm glad there is one other smart human being who agrees with me on these points.

Call me whatever the hell you want (this is an open invitation, mankvill), this album kicks serious ass. Thats what matters in the end for good metal to me. Thank you for standing up for it!

/flameshield
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 05-06-2011, 11:02 PM
treghet's Avatar
treghet treghet is offline
Altars of Radness
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 5,851
I know you stated that this would be a diverse list, but it's just not making sense to me... And I'm not just saying that because of the addition of Whitechapel; I was thinking this beforehand.
__________________
9.28 Sadistic Intent / Morbid Saint
10.20 Raven
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 05-06-2011, 11:04 PM
hellawaits77ny's Avatar
hellawaits77ny hellawaits77ny is offline
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 3,740
Blog Entries: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
You know what Hellawaits, thank you for having the balls to put this on there. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

If you've read my posts in the past, you know how I feel about deathcore.

This is a little scary for me reading how you feel about the Somatic Defilement, because those words could have literally come directly from my mouth. I know that 99% of people on this forum hate deathcore, and primarily Whitechapel, but I think you and I are in that 1% that appreciate it for what it is, and actually enjoy listening to it. Its a fair enough position for it; if I made a list of this, not too high but high enough for good recognition. This album really does have good points to it, especially lyrically for me, and I'm glad there is one other smart human being who agrees with me on these points.

Call me whatever the hell you want (this is an open invitation, mankvill), this album kicks serious ass. Thats what matters in the end for good metal to me. Thank you for standing up for it!

/flameshield
Thanks Man! Haha, as I wrote in the first sentence : Bring on the hate. I knew I'd get flamed for this, but hey, I really enjoy this album. Again, this isn't my list of "most influential death metal albums", or "best musicianship in a death metal album", I'm just ranking these albums on how much I enjoy listening to them.
__________________
youtube.com/user/hellawaits77NY

11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm (?)
11/25-Slayer (?)
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 05-06-2011, 11:06 PM
hellawaits77ny's Avatar
hellawaits77ny hellawaits77ny is offline
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 3,740
Blog Entries: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
I know you stated that this would be a diverse list, but it's just not making sense to me... And I'm not just saying that because of the addition of Whitechapel; I was thinking this beforehand.
See my above post, Duder. And there's 20+ more to list, so don't get too fudgy!!!!
__________________
youtube.com/user/hellawaits77NY

11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm (?)
11/25-Slayer (?)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:54 PM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008