Head Wound City -- Los Angeles, CA -- September 21st, 2014
After The Burial -- Flint, MI -- September 20th, 2014
Periphery -- Lansing, MI -- September 19th, 2014
Otherwise -- Sturtevant, WI -- September 19th, 2014
Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 07-08-2011, 07:16 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

The first Deicide album is the Thriller of death metal. Just one pop gem after another.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:25 PM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Morbid Angel
Covenant

I had a really toughtime deciding what I put in the #3 spot, this one or Deicide. What finally made me decide was this album's amazing clarity between tracks and overall listenability. There's so much classic Morbid Angel, mixed in w/ AOM-era speed and BATS-era sludge and song structure. This album in my opinion, is bar far David Vincent's best vocal performance. I made the mistake of listening to this album a few times in the weeks leading up to their new album. His vocals are straight doo-doo compared to this. I also believe this is the best produced MA album. Crystal clear sound quality, the instruments mesh together so well, and the quality of Trey's solos are incredible.

'Pain Divine' is just a classic MA track. Combines great speed, and is then bookmarked by their trademark sludge and groove. 'World of Shit (The Promised Land)' is a poor man's 'Where The Slime Live'. Not as good, but still a classic. A slow, sludgy and insanely heavy tune made even better by the aforementioned David Vincent vocal peak. 'The Lion's Den' is another amazing track. Pete Sandoval's double bass always kicks the shit outta my ears, but for some reason, they just sound incredible on this track. 'Blood on My Hands' comes up next and is a ball kicker. Nothing out of the ordinary, just straight forward brutal Morbid Angel death metal. A very cool solo on this one, too. Truth be told, the only song I really don't care for is 'Angel of Disease'. Sorry. I know it's a popular song, but Dave's vocals for whatever reason sound like shit, and it's too arena rockish for me. Sorta chessy. 'God of Emptiness' is among my favorite album closers ever. A groovy, sludgy, evil sounding tune. I think this one sounds especially brooding live. Big fan of the spoken word chorus. Well, sorta spoken word. Again, what stuck out to me most is how different most of the tracks are. They could be on a different album entirely, there is just so much diversity. Grab a six pack and blast this album ASAP!!

Standout Tracks
World of Shit
The Lion's Den

11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm (?)
11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 07-08-2011, 09:20 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Lion's Den has that spastic "KILLEMALLKILLEMALLFORSLANDER" part, but other wise it's a damn boring song. Maybe if they went with a more tradition verse/chorus structure the song would be a million times more interesting.

also, World of Shit a poor man's Where The Slime Live?
Old 07-09-2011, 09:42 AM
Born Again In Blasphemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Lion's Den has that spastic "KILLEMALLKILLEMALLFORSLANDER" part, but other wise it's a damn boring song. Maybe if they went with a more tradition verse/chorus structure the song would be a million times more interesting.

Ah hell no! That's my favorite song off of Covenant.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post

I didn't mean it as a BAD thing! In my eyes, it's similar sounding, sludgy + brutal awesome track. Remains one of my favorite MA tunes. I just referred to it as "poor man's", because I like Slime more

11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 07-12-2011, 07:58 PM

Runner up!!!

Malevolent Creation
The Ten Commandments

As I mentioned in my review of 'Retribution', I feel that Malevolent Creation is criminally underrated in the death metal community. Granted, their first 2 albums were much better than their releases since, but they still make quality albums that I enjoy listening to, and are a fucking awesome live band. 'The Ten Commandments' is widely considered a great album, and MC's best, and both statements are correct. Not overly brutal or fast, but the formula here just WORKS. Brett Hoffman's lyrics on this album are some of my all-time favorites. As I've mentioned before, I fucking love fast lyrics, and there is certainly no shortage of that here. Nothing overly technical either, but the solos rule on this album, and Ralph Fasciana's rythym is clear, tight and precise.

Strangely, nothing sticks out to me as spectactular during the first 3 songs, but none are bad at all. 'Multiple Stab Wounds' comes in at #4 and is MC's first classic track. It is smartly played at every live show, and is a simple, fast and effective track. 'Sacrifical Annihilation' is probably my second favorite track. This has some of Brett's finest aforementioned lightning fast ( yet still decipherable for the most part) lyrics. I love the chorus on this song. The albums' closer, the band's most famous and self-titled track 'Malevolent Creation' is a truly, truly amazing song. A very close second to Cannibal Corpse's 'Stripped Raped and Strangled' on my list of favorite death metal tunes. A thumping bass drum with a simple rythym give this track an eerie and intense start before all chaos breaks loose. Brett's lyrics on this one are incredible. Especially the "Martydomic terror, flash through yellow eyes..............." part. So fast, almost punkish in a way. The middle part of this track is pure chaos and I love it. Unfortunately, MC has never been able to come close to the quality of this album with their later releases, but I give them credit still, as it would be nearly impossible to do so!

Standout Tracks
Multiple Stab Wounds
Malevolent Creation - shamlessly promoting my own vid

11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 07-12-2011, 08:02 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellawaits77ny View Post
Runner up!!!

Malevolent Creation
The Ten Commandments

As I mentioned in my review of 'Retribution', I feel that Malevolent Creation is criminally underrated in the death metal community. Granted, their first 2 albums were much better than their releases since, but they still make quality albums that I enjoy listening to, and are a fucking awesome live band. 'The Ten Commandments' is widely considered a great album, and MC's best, and both statements are correct. Not overly brutal or fast, but the formula here just WORKS. Brett Hoffman's lyrics on this album are some of my all-time favorites. As I've mentioned before, I fucking love fast lyrics, and there is certainly no shortage of that here. Nothing overly technical either, but the solos rule on this album, and Ralph Fasciana's rythym is clear, tight and precise.

Strangely, nothing sticks out to me as spectactular during the first 3 songs, but none are bad at all. 'Multiple Stab Wounds' comes in at #4 and is MC's first classic track. It is smartly played at every live show, and is a simple, fast and effective track. 'Sacrifical Annihilation' is probably my second favorite track. This has some of Brett's finest aforementioned lightning fast ( yet still decipherable for the most part) lyrics. I love the chorus on this song. The albums' closer, the band's most famous and self-titled track 'Malevolent Creation' is a truly, truly amazing song. A very close second to Cannibal Corpse's 'Stripped Raped and Strangled' on my list of favorite death metal tunes. A thumping bass drum with a simple rythym give this track an eerie and intense start before all chaos breaks loose. Brett's lyrics on this one are incredible. Especially the "Martydomic terror, flash through yellow eyes..............." part. So fast, almost punkish in a way. The middle part of this track is pure chaos and I love it. Unfortunately, MC has never been able to come close to the quality of this album with their later releases, but I give them credit still, as it would be nearly impossible to do so!

Standout Tracks
Multiple Stab Wounds
Malevolent Creation - shamlessly promoting my own vid
Think I predicted this one, too.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logAnarchy View Post
Think I predicted this one, too.
Yep, you had some good calls

11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 07-14-2011, 12:21 AM
The best part of waking up, is Satan in your cup

WHAT THE FUCK. I HAVEN'T BEEN ON HERE IN LIKE A MONTH AND IT'S STILL NOT DONE!?

Hell Yeah for Malevolent Creation back on here though
Old 07-18-2011, 08:36 PM

DUN DUN DUN.........

Cannibal Corpse
Bloodthirst

So many good memories from this album. This was the first death metal album I ever owned. My aunt and uncle got it for me for my 16th birthday. Whenever I listen to this album, I get some great nostalgic feelings. Lot's of cool shit happened when I was 16, and I was blasting this album constantly back then. It's another album where I listen to it's entirety and don't find myself ever changing a track. I remember reading an interview w/ Alex Webster where he mentioned that this album is actually CC's worst selling album. They were apprently extremely disappointed w/ this, as they feel it's one of their best albums, and Alex is especially proud of it. I obviously agree wholeheartedly. This album showed that brutal death metal doesn't have to be 1000mph w/ insane blast beats every song to be killer. It certainly has it's brutal tracks, but it also shows a calmer, groovier, and sometimes, melodic version of Cannibal Corpse that is certainly different, but somehow just awesome. It's also Corpsegrinder's best performance in my opinion. His vocals in every track are borderline flawless. And even people who may not agree w/ me about my love of this album, have to agree, this is the best produced Cannibal Corpse album. Crystal clear sound quality, perfect levels of each instrument, and I can't recall anywhere that the vocals are drowned out by the music, or vice versa.

'Pounded Into Dust' is a typical CC album opener being fast + blasting. Nothing outstanding, but a very solid track. Track 2 is 'Dead Human Collection', which is an amazing song. It has some of the aforementioned melody (but not at the expense of heaviness), and dare I mention, emotion?? Yes, emotion in a Cannibal Corpse song. 'Unleashing The Bloodthirsty' is next, and is an all-time favorite of mine. It's a groovy, heavy tune, w/ an amazing performance by Corpsegrinder. He belts out some of his famously fast lyrics. I'm happy this song is a live staple, but it sucks that they only play a few songs from this one still. 'Raped By The Beast' (again, you gotta love their song titles) is a strong track in the middle of the album, while track 7 'Coffinfeeder' is another all time fave. Nothing different or new on this track, it just slays all the way through. I love the chorus, where Corpsegrinder lays down some sick screams. 'Blowtorch Slaughter' and 'Condemned to Agony' are two more great tunes at the end. Yeah, this album is a little different from much of their work, which is probably the main reason it hasn't sold well. Regardless, I fucking love this album, and I feel I certainly lucked out by this album being the first death metal album I listened to in full

Standout Tracks
Unleashing The Bloodthirsty
Coffinfeeder

11/25-Slayer (?)