Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Mastodon -- Newcastle, England -- November 25th, 2014
Exodus -- West Springfield, VA -- November 25th, 2014
Bob Seger -- Saginaw, MI -- November 19th, 2014
Ace Frehley -- Uncasville, CT -- November 21st, 2014
Nuclear War Now! Fest IV -- Berlin, Germany -- November 7-8th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 07-05-2011, 10:34 PM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srm90 View Post
Oh shit, I'm listening to that for the first time right now. What a coincidence.

I should've listened to this a long time ago, it's fucking awesome.
Better late than never!!!!

11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm (?)
11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 07-05-2011, 10:39 PM
Born Again In Blasphemy

After that first listen I'd say it's up there with Eaten Back To Life as my favorite Cannibal Corpse albums. I have still yet to listen to Vile and Gallery of Suicide though but I don't think those will be better than these two.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:
After that first listen I'd say it's up there with Eaten Back To Life as my favorite Cannibal Corpse albums. I have still yet to listen to Vile and Gallery of Suicide though but I don't think those will be better than these two.
Vile is one of my all-time faves, and Gallery of Suicide is a great record, too. Both are definately worth checking out

11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 07-06-2011, 07:53 AM
welp

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellawaits77ny View Post

Cannibal Corpse
The Bleeding

Chris Barnes' last album with CC saw a bit of a different direction for the arguably greatest death metal band in the world. More decipheral, less gutteral vocals, more technical guitar and bass work, and shorter verses. These changes led to Cannibal Corpse's greatest, most popular album. Well, a lot of people think that. Great solos, rythyms, drumming, vocals, and continuing brutal lyrics blend together perfectly to create a true death metal classic.

The opening 'Staring Through the Eyes of The Dead' is a slow(ish) song for CC, which opens with an eery string bending rythym and is book marked w/ a Slayer-esque guitar solo battle by Jack Owen and Rob Barrett. 'Fucked w/ a Knife' is a brutally fast and quick number w/ some of my favorite lyrics of all time. "stick it in, rip the skin, carve and twist, torn flesh. From behind, I cut her crotch, in her ass, I stuck my cock. Killing as I cum." Haha, I love Barnes' lyrics. Track is my favorite death metal song of all time. 'Stripped, Raped and Strangled' is a simply amazing song. The 1/64 riffs (not a guitar whizz, not sure if I wrote it correctly) shortly into the intro are so awesome. It has fast parts, slower choruses, and a sick intro and outro. Just great all around! One of the few death metal songs I think one can honestly call beautiful! The middle of the album has a couple good tunes like 'Pulverized' and 'She Was Asking For It'. Nothing spectacular, but nothing weak. The title track kicks in #8, and has an amazing, groovy rythym. Alex Websters' bass is especially sick in this tune, he hits some really solid higher notes. 'An Experiment in Homicide' is another great track at the end. An album I can listen to from beginning to end more than once on a road trip. While I have grown to prefer Corpsegrinder to Barnes', Barnes helped to make one of the most amazing death metal albums in history before his unfortunate departure from the band.

Standout Tracks

Fucked w/ a Knife
Stripped, Raped and Strangled - shamelessly promoting my own vid
Old 07-06-2011, 12:33 PM
7 Holy Paths To Hell And Your Trip Begins...

still waiting for the vikings!

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
Old 07-07-2011, 10:43 PM

Deicide
Deicide

When you talk about Deicide's debut, you're talking about one of the most evil sounding death metal albums of all time. If I listen to more than 4-5 songs in a row, I feel demonically posessed. It was arguably the most brutal record in history when it was released. Sure, in the 21 years since, there has been more insane metal to see the light, but think about 1990. There was plenty of great death metal, but you gotta believe this was the most brutal. Glen Benton sounds so evil on this record it's incredible. Yes, they used voiced manipulations, but even so, his vocal performance is just amazing. Steve Asheim's drumming is tight, technical and pounding as always, and the Hoffman brothers' guitar work is just, well, DEICIDE. They have a unique sound that's kinda hard to explain. Definately different than Ralph and Jack, but more brutal IMO. Their solos are fucking fantastic on every song. Everything works together in PERFECT harmony, if you wanna call it that. It's brutal, technical and fast without being too fancy or gay.

The opener, 'Lunatic of God's Creation' fires up w/ a really, really catchy rythym. I always find myself playing the air guitar when I hear it. A great live song, too. 'Sacrificial Suicide' is next and doesn't stop pounding. So fast with everything, and all the instruments are so fucking precise and ear piercing. 'Dead by Dawn' is track #4 and arguable Deicide's bets known track. A killer, steady ryhtym with some heart thumping double bass sets the tone on this one. I'm really a big fan of 'Mephistopheles'. It's not an unknown Deicide track by any means, but it isn't usually talked about when you discuss some of their best work. I think it should be. As the rest of the album is, it's so fucking fast, everywhere. The guitar work is incredible, and what really sticks out to me are Glen's vocals. Glen often used fast vocals, and I'm a huge fucking fan of fast vocals in all genres of metal. A shame it's not done more often. But this track features some of his fastest ever. His able to keep the "evil" tone throughout, and when he combines that with the speed, it's truly sick. 'Crucifixion' closes the album with a bang. One of more "scary" tracks, and as I've said before, it's fucking fast and precise just like the rest of the album is. Anyone who's ever like ANYTHING Deicide has done, should listen to this record in full ASAP. An amazing, amazing, satanic death metal album.

Standout Tracks
Lunatic of God's Creation - Shamelessly promoting my own vid
Mephistopheles

11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 07-08-2011, 01:11 AM
Born Again In Blasphemy

Oh hell yes!

I like Legion more than this one personally, but this one is very close. Both are two of my all-time favorite death metal albums.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Oh hell yes!

I like Legion more than this one personally, but this one is very close. Both are two of my all-time favorite death metal albums.
As you may recall, I have Legion on here too Another amazing album!

11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 07-08-2011, 05:34 AM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

FUCK YEAH DEICIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerMaiden View Post
still waiting for the vikings!

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
Old 07-08-2011, 07:40 AM
and you can never quarantine the past

Nice, I like the self-titled much more than Legion.