311 -- Lansing, MI -- July 9th, 2014
Ceremonial Castings -- Seattle, WA -- July 7th, 2014
Flotsam and Jetsam -- West Hollywood, CA -- July 9th, 2014
King Buzzo -- Dover, NH -- July 9th, 2014
Slash -- Hampton Beach, NH -- July 9th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 08-28-2011, 07:47 AM
In Search of Truth

My feelings toward Lady Evil would HARDLY be described as hate. I merely claimed that I feel it's BORDERING on filler in my eyes. It's my 7th-favorite song on my 13th favorite album of all-time, so I don't believe anyone should give me crap for not liking it enough. The only reason it fares poorly is because I think SO highly of the other songs.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:14 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

I've always felt like Wishing Well and Walk Away weren't up to par with the rest of the album.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 08-29-2011, 06:42 PM
In Search of Truth

#12:
Seventh Wonder - Mercy Falls
(2008)

Yes, ironically, one of the newest albums on this entire list managed to rank 12th of all-time. It's only been about 3 years since Seventh Wonder produced their incredible Progressive Metal opus "Mercy Falls" and become one of the most talked about bands in the Progressive/Power Metal community. This is not only a concept album, but a brilliant one - with a complex story rivaling some of the best I've seen on concept records, and music that is absolutely fitting of it. The band found a perfect mix of interludes and longer songs to constantly keep the flow perfect and you very into the progression of the music and story. Onto the music itself: Tommy Karevik is an incredible vocalist, and in due time I genuinely believe he'll be one of the best and most respected in the genre - this guy has range, style, and melodic sense rarely heard from anyone else - absolutely incredible voice. Not to be outdone, the band's bassist and chief songwriter, Andreas Blomqvist is easily among the best bassists I've ever heard. The other 3 guys are no slouches either, but the vocals/bass definitely steal the show here. As for the songwriting - one word: Incredible. The band somehow found a way to marry all the intricate elements typical of progressive metal in this style with an absolutely uncanny sense of hooks and melody. The average AOR/hard rock album doesn't have half of the memorable hooks this album does, and I think the combination of these two is what truly makes this album stand out to me. In addition to everything else, it's the fact that the hooks instantly grab you and make you love and remember it, yet the complexity of the whole thing keeps you interested and lets you love it more with every listen.

Tracklisting:
01 A New Beginning (3:05)
02 There and Back (3:01)
03 Welcome to Mercy Falls (5:11)
04 Unbreakable (7:18)
05 Tears For a Father (1:58)
06 A Day Away (3:43)
07 Tears For a Son (1:42)
08 Paradise (5:46)
09 Fall in Line (6:09)
10 Break the Silence (9:30)
11 Hide and Seek (7:46)
12 Destiny Calls (6:18)
13 One Last Goodbye (4:21)
14 Back in Time (1:15)
15 The Black Parade (6:58)

Featured Track:
"Welcome to Mercy Falls"
Old 08-30-2011, 07:42 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
#12:
Seventh Wonder - Mercy Falls
(2008)

Yes, ironically, one of the newest albums on this entire list managed to rank 12th of all-time. It's only been about 3 years since Seventh Wonder produced their incredible Progressive Metal opus "Mercy Falls" and become one of the most talked about bands in the Progressive/Power Metal community. This is not only a concept album, but a brilliant one - with a complex story rivaling some of the best I've seen on concept records, and music that is absolutely fitting of it. The band found a perfect mix of interludes and longer songs to constantly keep the flow perfect and you very into the progression of the music and story. Onto the music itself: Tommy Karevik is an incredible vocalist, and in due time I genuinely believe he'll be one of the best and most respected in the genre - this guy has range, style, and melodic sense rarely heard from anyone else - absolutely incredible voice. Not to be outdone, the band's bassist and chief songwriter, Andreas Blomqvist is easily among the best bassists I've ever heard. The other 3 guys are no slouches either, but the vocals/bass definitely steal the show here. As for the songwriting - one word: Incredible. The band somehow found a way to marry all the intricate elements typical of progressive metal in this style with an absolutely uncanny sense of hooks and melody. The average AOR/hard rock album doesn't have half of the memorable hooks this album does, and I think the combination of these two is what truly makes this album stand out to me. In addition to everything else, it's the fact that the hooks instantly grab you and make you love and remember it, yet the complexity of the whole thing keeps you interested and lets you love it more with every listen.

Tracklisting:
01 A New Beginning (3:05)
02 There and Back (3:01)
03 Welcome to Mercy Falls (5:11)
04 Unbreakable (7:18)
05 Tears For a Father (1:58)
06 A Day Away (3:43)
07 Tears For a Son (1:42)
08 Paradise (5:46)
09 Fall in Line (6:09)
10 Break the Silence (9:30)
11 Hide and Seek (7:46)
12 Destiny Calls (6:18)
13 One Last Goodbye (4:21)
14 Back in Time (1:15)
15 The Black Parade (6:58)

Featured Track:
"Welcome to Mercy Falls"
Fantastic Album!!! Everything you said sums it up nicely. The story is so original and imaginative. The story is up there with the best of them when it comes to concept albums. One of those rare gems of an album and a band more people should know about. Did they tour for their last album much? I never heard anything about it.

As for the Heaven and Hell debate, Walk Away is the only song I don't care for. Everything else is great, a classic metal masterpeice.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:34 PM
In Search of Truth

#11:
Stratovarius - Visions
(1997)

Stratovarius has become a band legendary for its varied history and drama between members, but what is seemingly starting to be forgotten about is that in the mid-to-late 90's, they were easily one of the best and most prominent bands in the genre of power metal - when it was reaching its creative peak. The band molded what would be their trademark sound on 1996's "Episode", but it was the follow-up, '97's "Visions" that absolutely "did it" for them. There is a viable power metal subgenre regarding the country of Finland, and this album is essentially the bible/blueprint for it. Quite literally, every song on this album has basically become a Stratovarius "classic", many of which are still live essentials of theirs. Fantastic from start-to-finish, end of story.

Tracklisting:
01 The Kiss of Judas (5:49)
02 Black Diamond (5:39)
03 Forever Free (6:00)
04 Before the Winter (6:07)
05 Legions (5:43)
06 The Abyss of Your Eyes (5:38)
07 Holy Light (5:45)
08 Paradise (4:27)
09 Coming Home (5:36)
10 Visions (Southern Cross) (10:17)

Featured Track:
"Forever Free"
Old 09-01-2011, 06:40 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

BRING ON THE TOP TEN

and the recap!
07/25 - Masked Intruder
07/31 - Warped
Old 09-01-2011, 07:27 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrritatedTrout View Post
I've always felt like Wishing Well and Walk Away weren't up to par with the rest of the album.
They aren't. That's why I can't accept that album as the greatest thing since sliced bread. WW sounds like something left over from Never Say Die, and Walk Away just sucks.

and did I actually say that? That sounds like the sort of thing I'd say about NOTB, Painkiller, Under The Sign of The Black Mark, or Blessed Are The Sick, but not Heaven & Hell.

I don't think Heaven & Hell is a terrible album. I'd probably give it 4 ish out of 5 stars. Maybe 3 if I'm in a bad mood. I just get the uncontrollable urge to shit in the cereal bowl of whoever says that the album is better than anything with Ozzy.

Last edited by JRA; 09-01-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:32 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Excellent choice for #11 there. I often forget/underestimate how important Strato are to both myself and power metal. Good to see the right album getting the appreciation, too.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:58 PM
N00B

Great choice for 11! not my favorite strato album (Episode) but Visions is definitely a classic. title songs is one of the best songs they've done.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:56 PM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

I just sat here and read all 34 pages. Really loving this and marked down about 15 albums I must get. Your opening my eyes on some great stuff man!