Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Impaled -- Oakland, CA -- April 19th, 2014
Tankcrimes Brainsqueeze 2 -- Oakland, CA -- April 18th, 2014
Unearth -- Pontiac, MI -- April 17th, 2014
Wayne Static -- Birmingham, AL -- April 17th, 2014
Ghost -- Toronto, Ontario -- April 17th, 2014

  #1  
Old 04-25-2011, 07:27 PM
kommie's Avatar
kommie kommie is offline
How're yeh?
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 1,023
periphery

So, this band is 'djent', right? the singing is honestly pretty bad- pop sounding, and then there's the more traditional 'metal' style. does anyone like this band here? I know there's a 'djent guy' here. I wanna like em, but the clean singing is pretty bad.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-25-2011, 07:49 PM
Dextrimental's Avatar
Dextrimental Dextrimental is offline
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ireland
Posts: 2,445
Their vocalist is dfefinitely the weak part of the band. Check out the instrumentals of the songs, my favorite of which is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yjRlf5QXfM
__________________
Yesterday don't mean SHIT.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-25-2011, 07:57 PM
MPF's Avatar
MPF MPF is offline
That Guy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 8,072
I'm ASSuming you are refering to me. Thanks Manky........

Yes I do love Periphery. They don't even refer them themselves as Djent anymore (Thank the fucking Metal Lord). Like me, they refer to themselves as Progressive Metal now, which they are.

Considering you don't like the vocals, and also considering you won't get used to them. Do what is posted above and check out the instrumental version of the album. It's just as badass.
__________________
That Drummer Guy Presents:
EVERY DAY from 4-6 am and pm on http://www.zeropointradio.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-25-2011, 09:04 PM
mankvill's Avatar
mankvill mankvill is online now
Bring Me The Horizon > Opeth
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 20,495
Blog Entries: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
I'm ASSuming you are refering to me. Thanks Manky........

Yes I do love Periphery. They don't even refer them themselves as Djent anymore (Thank the fucking Metal Lord). Like me, they refer to themselves as Progressive Metal now, which they are.

Considering you don't like the vocals, and also considering you won't get used to them. Do what is posted above and check out the instrumental version of the album. It's just as badass.
thanks djent guy!
__________________
04/16 - Ringworm
04/19 - Trog
04/22 - Ghost
04/24 - Iron Reagan
05/13 - SLAYER
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-25-2011, 09:26 PM
MPF's Avatar
MPF MPF is offline
That Guy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 8,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
thanks djent guy!
Djent: Leave Your Hairspray At The Door.
__________________
That Drummer Guy Presents:
EVERY DAY from 4-6 am and pm on http://www.zeropointradio.com
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-26-2011, 08:44 AM
kommie's Avatar
kommie kommie is offline
How're yeh?
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 1,023
is there any easy way to get the instrumental songs with doing the whole youtube - mp3 converter sites? can't seem to find a torrent of just the instrumentals.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-27-2011, 09:33 AM
jd091's Avatar
jd091 jd091 is offline
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,265
Yeah, MPF is the djent guy. And you know, actually, the clean vocals are my favorite part of Periphery now. I hated it at first, but it grew on me, especially after seeing them live. Spencer is incredibly talented, and actually writes good parts. True, it's not totally brutal, but it's still well done.

If you CAN get past and learn to enjoy the clean vocals, I highly, highly recommend checking out TesseracT. Personally, I think I enjoy them just a smidgeon more than Periphery.

Last edited by jd091; 04-27-2011 at 09:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-27-2011, 06:03 PM
Blitzkrieg Witchcraft's Avatar
Blitzkrieg Witchcraft Blitzkrieg Witchcraft is offline
Play it loud, don't play it low
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Big D
Posts: 1,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by kommie View Post
is there any easy way to get the instrumental songs with doing the whole youtube - mp3 converter sites? can't seem to find a torrent of just the instrumentals.
Itunes has the whole instrumental album.
__________________
2/23: Metal Church
3/21: Carcass
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-27-2011, 06:57 PM
makethemsuffer12's Avatar
makethemsuffer12 makethemsuffer12 is offline
The time has come for all to see the men behind the curtain cast into disease
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Long Island
Posts: 4,276
Yeah the vocals are hard to get used to at first. Now that I am used to it, I love his voice. You might think he sounds like a singer for a shitty post-hardcore band, but he really is pretty good once you get into it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-27-2011, 08:49 PM
MPF's Avatar
MPF MPF is offline
That Guy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 8,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
Yeah, MPF is the djent guy. And you know, actually, the clean vocals are my favorite part of Periphery now. I hated it at first, but it grew on me, especially after seeing them live. Spencer is incredibly talented, and actually writes good parts. True, it's not totally brutal, but it's still well done.

If you CAN get past and learn to enjoy the clean vocals, I highly, highly recommend checking out TesseracT. Personally, I think I enjoy them just a smidgeon more than Periphery.
You know, my signature isn't meant to be ironic.

But I know I may get shit for it too, but I always loved the clean vocals. I think they fit better then anything else that could be in it's place. And Spencer is one of the coolest guys I've met, same with Misha, and Chris from Scale The Summit.

I'm a music guy first and foremost. There's talent in Djent. Whether you hate the music or not, you have to admit, it takes actual talent to play the music that is produced in Djent. Unlike the open not chugging and pig raping that is Deathcore.
__________________
That Drummer Guy Presents:
EVERY DAY from 4-6 am and pm on http://www.zeropointradio.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:28 AM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008