Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Downset -- Albany, NY -- July 24th, 2014
Megadeth -- Tolmin, Slovenia -- July 25th, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Tinley Park, IL -- July 24th, 2014
Queen -- Columbia, MD -- July 20th, 2014
Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014

Old 04-24-2011, 02:43 PM
n00basaurus

Did anyone catch the opening bass note for Orio during sound check? Me and my friend heard it but we just didn't want to believe it. Best moment of the night when they played it
Old 04-24-2011, 02:58 PM
D.B.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elturtleboy View Post
tooo fuckin tired right now. Quick review

Metallica
Slayer
Megadeth
Anthrax
I don't want to post a review, so Turtle boy's will do just fine.

Wind made the sound horrible too, just putting that out there.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:02 PM
Close your eyes forget your name

I just got back to Denver...and FUCKING WOW what an experience!!!

My friend and I flew into Ontario and did the shuttle thing; we missed most of Anthrax's set due to traffic and me making sure to get my size shirt; From what I heard they put on a great show but since we missed I can't give it a grade

Megadeth was good but something felt lacking; the setlist was ok but nothing blew me away and the sound seemed a little muffled, I don't know if it was the wind or what; They were tight musically and it was good but it has been all stuff I have heard before; C mon Dave live a little!

7/10

Slayer...HOLY SHIT they stole the whole show imo; what a perfect setlist (ok if I am picky I wanted to hear Mandatory Suicide, Chemical Warfare, and/or Hell Awaits) but DAMN; Fucking postmortem tore my head off and to flow into Raining Blood AND Black magic was pure win. Dead Skin Mask may be overplayed but that night was special, and you cannot go wrong with Silent Scream. They kept pounding us with Antichrist and Payback!

Even as much shit Americon gets I liked it live....More thumbs up for playing my favorite Seasons....then the real treat was Jeff coming on for South and Angel; I will say Gary Holt did a great job for the 1st part of the set but seeing Jeff play even a little after all he has been through was special;

Overall Slayer stepped it up and had perfect sound from where we were..I went the most crazy (those couple of beers helped) but hands done Slayer were the best 11/10

Metallica did played great as they have the past 4 times I've seen them, but I felt their setlist was kinda ho hum; nothing special for me...expect of course Orion that was fucking sweet glad they did that for the US fans finally

I wasn't in love with the Big 4 Am I Evil thing; don't great me wrong I enjoyed it but I think it was more special when they did it in Sofia for the DVD; I think it should have stayed a one time thing; it felt like it lost some luster last night. 9/10

As for the show I think they did a great job with the setup; the sound was great from almost everywhere; the weather was PERFECT: clear skies and sun but a nice breeze to keep us cool; Hell even the food was good. My only gripe here was they did a horrible job on the merch table; No control on lines and jamming everyone into a close space with no direction on who was next or what

Aside from that I have to say this was the best show I have been to ever; I was glad to meet Sep. I'm sorry we didn't meet up some more but it was a trip to see someone in real life from these forums

We were a part of history and I was glad to be there
Old 04-24-2011, 05:48 PM
Lead Singer of Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganarchy View Post
No, if you buy one Slayer album, let's be honest, you've bought one Slayer album.

Show No Mercy doesn't sound anything like any other Slayer album, same goes for Hell Awaits. South of Heaven and Seasons in the Abyss are pretty similar stylistically, but if you only buy Seasons, then you're gonna miss out on the great songs on South. The albums sound alike, but the songs do not. Those two also sound somewhat like Reign in Blood, but not entirely.

Even their later efforts don't really sound like each other. Diabolus sounds nothing like the rest of their discography. Neither does GHUA. Christ Illusion and WPB are kinda similar. Divine Intervention does sound a lot like Reign in Blood. That's it.

I'm just fucking sick of everybody saying that all of Slayer's albums sound the same. It's not true at all.
Well when everything I have ever heard sounds the same then I beg to differ on your point. You lot being Slayer fans doesn't do the greater audience of metal any justice. You all have the bias of saying that Slayer is different album to album, but if you pull a song from each, thrash is thrash and there is no if's and's or but's about it. Same goes with death metal but I don't argue it because I accept it. But to think that Slayer are as successful as Megadeth as someone else posted is laughable at best. Megadeth have sold an estimated 26 million records, opposed to Slayer's 3,967,918 (2005).

As of 2005:
SLAYER
Show No Mercy: 158,000
Haunting The Chapel: 109,000
Live Undead: 67,000
Hell Awaits: 148,000 482,000
Reign In Blood: 509,000
South Of Heaven: 485,000
Seasons In The Abyss: 659,000
Decade of Aggression: 406,000
Divine Intervention: 493,000
Undisputed Attitude: 238,000
Diabolus In Musica: 290,000
God Hates Us All: 304,000
Christ Illusion: 101,918

MEGADETH
"Killing is My Business...And Business is Good!*"- 197,000
"Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?*" - 609,000
"So Far, So Good...So What*!" - 388,000
"Rust In Peace*" - 781,000
"Countdown to Extinction*" - 2,272,000
"Youthanasia" - 938,000
"Hidden Treasures*" (out of print) - 286,000
"Cryptic Writings*" - 787,000
"Risk" - 322,000
"The World Needs A Hero" - 219,000
"The System Has Failed" - 171,000

*Not factoring re-issue

New Albums:
World Painted Blood 1st week: 41,000
United Abominations 1st week: 54,000
Endgame 1st week: 45,000
Endgame as of April: 150,000

Stats don't lie, Slayer ain't nothing to Megadeth.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:56 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher of Birth View Post
Well when everything I have ever heard sounds the same then I beg to differ on your point. You lot being Slayer fans doesn't do the greater audience of metal any justice. You all have the bias of saying that Slayer is different album to album, but if you pull a song from each, thrash is thrash and there is no if's and's or but's about it. Same goes with death metal but I don't argue it because I accept it. But to think that Slayer are as successful as Megadeth as someone else posted is laughable at best. Megadeth have sold an estimated 26 million records, opposed to Slayer's 3,967,918 (2005).

As of 2005:
SLAYER

MEGADETH
"Youthanasia" - 938,000
"Risk" - 322,000

*Not factoring re-issue

New Albums:

wasn't talking about album sales... wait were you saying that album sales correspond to how good a band is?

also, this statement is false: "You all have the bias of saying that Slayer is different album to album, but if you pull a song from each, thrash is thrash and there is no if's and's or but's about it"
Old 04-24-2011, 06:01 PM
In Search of Truth

I think I know what he was going at by pulling sales figures into the equation - but that being said, sales figures are hardly the be-all, end-all of a band's popularity and legacy. For example, do you have any idea how many pop artists of yesteryear have equaled if not outsold Iron Maiden? Now, how many of those artists are doing their biggest tours of all-time now, selling more tickets, playing in more countries, and setting attendance records?
Old 04-24-2011, 06:02 PM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

Quote:
wasn't talking about album sales... wait were you saying that album sales correspond to how good a band is?

also, this statement is false: "You all have the bias of saying that Slayer is different album to album, but if you pull a song from each, thrash is thrash and there is no if's and's or but's about it"
If album sales determine quality, Lady Gaga is better than any band on this forum.
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 04-24-2011, 06:10 PM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

Quote:
Haha. Seriously, album sales don't mean shit to me. There are so many great bands out there that get little exposure because main stream record companies don't want to sell their shit because its not part of the cookie cutter shit the record company wants to put out and sell a million copies of. For instance, Taylor Swift is only good at sucking dick not music, Hank III is way better at real country music and he has sold a percentage of what that bitch has.

But to your point about the different Slayer sounds, yeah Show No Mercy to Hell Awaits sounds different than the other Slayer albums just cause their the best ones. Reign in Blood kicked ass, but that was the last good effort Slayer put out. I will always say SNM, HA and HTC are the best things Slayer put out because they are evil and violent as fuck. Well to be honest, Live Undead is a little better than SNM cause it doesn't have as much high singing and a little more raw. Around the late 80s, a lot of those great thrash bands lost their touch in my opinion. SOH and SITA had some decent songs on it, but I didn't like them that much overall. I really liked CI and WPB when I first heard it but got over them fast and don't really care for them that much anymore. Basically the first few releases that I mentioned earlier are the only ones that can keep my attention consistently
Old 04-24-2011, 06:13 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher of Birth View Post

As of 2005:
SLAYER

MEGADETH
"Youthanasia" - 938,000
"Risk" - 322,000

*Not factoring re-issue

New Albums:

Slayer are about equal with Megadeth. Megadeth have sold more albums, and probably sell a few more tickets while on tour, but I would put them on the same level. You can sit there and quote stats all you like, but touring doesn't lie, these guys play around the same sized vanues and get around the same sied crowds. Case in point, they both play a venue in Dublin called the Ambassador they both sell it out. They both play the Marquee in Cork, and Slayer did better in that. They woul be on pretty even footing in terms of overall preference with fans, with more leaning towards Megadeth due to Daves ability to attract virtuoso guitarists.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:17 PM
In Search of Truth

For all those posting "Durrr Sales Figures don't make one band superior to another"... You're right, that goes without saying, but no one was ever trying to argue that. The question was which band is more SUCCESSFUL. And though I posted saying sales figures are hardly even the be-all, end-all of that, they are certainly a fair chunk of what measures overall success.

Tags
anthrax, megadeth, metallica, slayer