Midnight -- Toronto, Ontario -- July 12th, 2014
Satanic Warmaster -- Mexico City, Mexico -- July 5th, 2014
Dying Fetus -- Merriam, KS -- July 12th, 2014
Phobia -- Tempe, AZ -- July 11th, 2014

Old 04-24-2011, 12:48 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepultura69 View Post
Me too. I don't get how God Hates Us all, South of Heaven, Reign in Blood and Haunting the Chapel all sound the same?

If you want to talk about a band that sounds the same in all there albums..... then that would be Motorhead
It's true they all sound different, but to what extent? I can see both sides of the argument. Its not like, say, Opeth where Orchid sounds completely different from Still Life which sounds completely different than Watershed, etc. Slayer is still, more or less, writing the same style of thrash they have been doing for almost 30 years. The "Slayer Sound", if you will.

Yeah, Christ Illusion and Hell Awaits are completely different, but still in the same niche I would argue. The band never went through a metamorphosis like other metal bands.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:05 PM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

Here is my long review about my day in the VIP section of the Big 4.

What a long ass day yesterday was. It had its good and bad points. I had to be upat 630am so I could get everything ready to leave for the Big 4 show and had to be at work at 8am and worked till 1230pm. My friend, Mike, met me at work at 1230 and we drove from La Verne straight to Indio. I was flying down the 10 at 85 to 90mph. I got off the freeway around 215 and sat in traffic for a mile or so, then tragedy hit. I smelled something funky and immediately saw steam pouring out from under my hood. I looked down and my engine was over heating I quickly pulled over on a side. I lifted the hood and saw the radiator had over heated and radiator fluid was boiling out and going everywhere. Worst timing ever!! I called up my dad, who knows everything about cars, trying to get some help on what to do. He told me he was going to get the trailer and come get me and my car and I would have to forget about my show At that point I was heart broken. My VIP ticket would go to waste and I was going to miss the show I had been waiting for years to see. I sat there pouting about what I was going to miss, then I came up with an idea. I would have my parents get the car, then my other friend, Bryan, who was showing up in a bit could drive my friend and me home after the show. I had Bryan pick up Mike while I waited for my parents, then I was going to meet up with them in a bit at the show. My parents were cool with that, so I sat and waited, then something amazing happened. A man with a tool box walked up to me and asked me what was wrong. I told him my radiator blew and I was stranded, being forced to miss the show. He told me to pop the hood and patched up my car so that I would be able to drive to the show and slowly creep it home after so my parents wouldn't have to come get it. I was extremely happy that he was able to fix my car because I was crushed about missing it. The guy went even further to offer to let me leave my car at his house for a bit, which I was parked in front of, and he would drop me off at the show. I told him he already did too much and thanked him greatly for everything. I went and got to the show, parked in the VIP lot and went in.

I walked in through the VIP entrance not knowing I was in the VIP exclusive section, so I didn't pay attention to detail at first. I heard Anthrax going into Metal Thrashing Mad, so I walked over to the field to catch the end of Anthrax and meet up with Bryan and Mike. As I walked across the field, I noticed the sound was terrible in the back. I finally met up with my friends at the I Love Vagina booth haha, it was the onl obvious thing in the distance we could both see. At this point Anthrax was over. Mike wanted to go find a good spot for Megadeth, Bryan needed to find our friend Gerry and I wanted to go check out what my VIP ticket had to offer me. I went back to the VIP area to find. Instead of jut being offered beer and margaritas, we had a full bar. There was a lot of food choices, but I couldn't find anything vegan even though it was advertised as having vegan options So I just got a few Sailor Jerrys and redbull and walked over and found a spot in the Megadeth pit. They were ok. After hearing the RIP 3 times last year, this set wasn't that fun. I just stuck to the back and waited for them to end. I went back to the bar for my final drink. I asked the guy to just give me a bunch of sailor on the rocks and he literally filled up a glass full of rum and charged me for a single shot

I went back and found a nice spot up front for Slayer. At this point I was pretty drunk and I cut myself off cause I had around 4 hours or so till I needed to be sober enough to drive. I was about 10 feet behind the rail and was enjoying every moment of it. Gary Holt definitely put on a great job filling in for Jeff. I took a quick piss break during Seasons in the Abyss cause I knew I wouldn't want to miss the end of the set. I got back to the pit in time to sing along for Antichrist. I walked through the crowd and some bitch dug her claws in my back cause I was getting closer than her, even though there was a clear amount of space to walk through without pushing people to the side. I was glad to see Jeff come out for the last two songs. Too bad we didn't get Evil has no Boundaries.

After this was the big part of the day I had been waiting for. I turned off my phone so I wouldn't pocket dial anyone. Everyone was pushing and shoving to get up front, as usual for all pits. There were the dumb asses who wanted to be up front but get butt hurt when someone pushed into them. The guy next to me wanted to fight someone everytime someone else was forced in front of him cause the crowd was pushing him there uncontrollably. Another annoying point was when the girl on the other side of me turned to her boyfriend and asked "is the next band the one that did that sandman song?" I wanted to punch her in the face.

Metallica finally went on and everyone went crazy! I was tripping out for a bit when the first 5 songs were 4 songs off of RTL and James kept saying tonight was going to be put down in history. I figured not only is it the Big 4, but we were going to hear RTL all the way through, which turned out to be wrong haha. I was happy to hear soo many songs I haven't seen live by Metallica before. I was happy there were only two songs off of Death Magnetic, 3 songs off of Black album and Fuel could have not been played. I almost shat myself when Orion was played I was really happy to see the Big 4 jam on Am I Evil. At this point I was 2 people behind the railing, so I coulld see everything clearly. James was close by, so I screamed Phantom Lord twice, he heard me, looked and smiled, then went into Hit the Lights. Too bad no Phantom Lord but I'm glad I got Hit the Lihts. Songs I never saw live were RTL, Blackened, Orion, Welcome Home, Am I Evil, Hit the Lights. After they were over Rob and Kirk threw out a box full of Big 4 picks. They seemed to throw them in ever spot that wasn't me haha, so I didn't get one. Found my friend and got home at 2am, dead tired. Overall it was a great day
Old 04-24-2011, 01:11 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Huh... all four of those setlists could probably have been written with 90% accuracy long before this show.

11/7 Snakecharmer
20/7 Onslaught
30/7 King Diamond
1-2/8 BiesenRock Festival
Old 04-24-2011, 01:14 PM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
The band never went through a metamorphosis like other metal bands.
That's true....BUT THEY STILL FUCKIN' RULE
11/10 - Judas Priest
11/14 - Slayer
Old 04-24-2011, 01:14 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher of Birth View Post
Megadeth's history has been much stronger than Slayer's. If you buy one album, lets be honest, you have purchased all Slayer albums.

I live for criticizing Slayer and calling their fanboys retards and even I know this statement is bullshit.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:18 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Great review, vegan! Sounds awesome, too bad about the car though.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:22 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher of Birth View Post
Megadeth's history has been much stronger than Slayer's. If you buy one album, lets be honest, you have purchased all Slayer albums. So I'm unsure why there is all this talk about Megadeth being a small time band... It's not like Slayer is close to be as successful.
Slayer have yet to release anything as bad as Risk. Slayer and Megadeth both suffer from the bulk of their fanbase disliking thier output for the last 15 years, and in terms of overall audience, are about the same level of draw, from what I have seen anyway. They are on a pretty similar playing field in terms of overall audience size, but in terms of output, Slayer have ALWAYS sounded like Slayer, you know what you are getting, and I like that, its what you want out of a 30 year old band. Megadeth have tried different things, and it worked against them.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:24 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegantopher View Post
I took a quick piss break during Seasons in the Abyss
Old 04-24-2011, 01:26 PM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganarchy View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking. I remember right before Metallica hit the stage I didnt wanna walk all the way to the bathrooms so I grabbed an empty plastic beer cup, stuck it down my pants and let my wiener do all the working and boom.....That's my piss break for ya
11/10 - Judas Priest
11/14 - Slayer
Old 04-24-2011, 01:31 PM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepultura69 View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking. I remember right before Metallica hit the stage I didnt wanna walk all the way to the bathrooms so I grabbed an empty plastic beer cup, stuck it down my pants and let my wiener do all the working and boom.....That's my piss break for ya
Yeah I didn't want to get caught up in the crowd going to take a piss between sets and miss getting a great spot. I have a really close pic of the entire band together at the end, but some jackass next to me bumped into me last second and its really blurry. I turned my phone on during Nothing Else Matters and heres the best pic I got with my phone

Oh btw, NEM and ETS back to back =

Last edited by christopher; 04-24-2011 at 01:34 PM.

Tags
anthrax, megadeth, metallica, slayer