Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Judas Priest -- Worcester, MA -- July 26th, 1988
Arsis -- West Springfield, VA -- September 1st, 2014
Deep Purple -- Orlando, FL -- August 30th, 2014
Dropdead -- Scottsdale, AZ -- August 30th, 2014
Chevelle -- Wallingford, CT -- August 30th, 2014


Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Misinformation and Propaganda

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-08-2011, 02:22 PM
Motograter_Ghost's Avatar
Motograter_Ghost Motograter_Ghost is offline
N00B
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 157
MIKE PORTNOY Talks About His New Projects

Former Dream Theater drummer Mike Portnoy has resurfaced with not one, not two, but several new projects. Among numerous other commitments, he is currently working on a new band with Symphony X's Russell Allen on vocals, Mike Orlando on guitar, and Paul DiLeo on bass. The music retains Portnoy's signature progressive, forward-thinking style, while adding a crunchy groove element.

Obviously, Portnoy hasn't been resting on his laurels since exiting Dream Theater in 2009 and wrapping up his stint as Avenged Sevenfold's fill-in drummer. "[This] has been an unbelievably productive year for me so far. It's only April and I've already recorded three different albums with three different projects and artists, as well as having done a string of US shows with my Beatles tribute band with Paul Gilbert," Portnoy told Noisecreep recently. "I'm enjoying spreading my musical wings and collaborating with so many talented friends and musicians that I admire. My musical taste has always been so broad, and I'm loving tapping into so many different areas and styles."

As for his work with Allen and Orlando, Portnoy says the project is "something I'm very excited about. It's super hard-hitting, with strong, slamming tunes, with riffs as big as Zakk [Wylde] and Dime, and vocals as big as Dio. I think this album can make a huge splash in the hard rock and metal scene! I can't wait to hit the road with this baby!" Those are massive comparisons, but if anyone can make a statement and back it up with amazing music, it's Mike Portnoy.

Portnoy also revealed that his work with Steve Morse, Neal Morse, Casey McPherson and Dave LaRue "is filled with some great pop/alternative/singer-songwriter influences, but of course rounded out with great playing and musicianship."

As if his plate wasn't already overflowing with commitments and appearances, Portnoy also recorded Neal Morse's latest solo album, 'Testimony 2.' Portnoy will also appear as a part of Morse's live band. "I am looking forward to playing live with him for select dates throughout the US and Mexico in May," he said.

While mere mortals would collapse in a heap just thinking about Portnoy's Iron Man schedule, the drummer has even more planned for the rest of the year. "I also have a few other exciting things in the works for the summer and beyond. I will continue to plant all of these musical seeds and watch them all grow like a proud farmer," he said.

Source: http://www.noisecreep.com/2011/04/08...-and-projects/


This makes me happy an very excited! Cant wait!! Minus the Beatles thing Dont get me wrong the were revolutionary for their genre but not my thing...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-08-2011, 10:39 PM
treghet's Avatar
treghet treghet is offline
Altars of Radness
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 5,839
I almost feel like he's taking on all of these projects to try to prove something to the guys in DT. Kind of like, "well I don't need you guys anyway!" He wanted to take an extended break, but since they didn't let him back he's trying to do all this other stuff. I don't know, it just seems odd.
__________________
9.28 Sadistic Intent / Morbid Saint
10.20 Raven
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-08-2011, 10:49 PM
MPF's Avatar
MPF MPF is offline
That Guy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 8,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
I almost feel like he's taking on all of these projects to try to prove something to the guys in DT. Kind of like, "well I don't need you guys anyway!" He wanted to take an extended break, but since they didn't let him back he's trying to do all this other stuff. I don't know, it just seems odd.
What else is a working musician suppose to do?

He'll I'd be doing the same thing! And of course promote the fuck out of it. Not to be a snob, or say 'Fuck You Guys" to my previous band. But say in a perfect world Mike never left DT. He'd be giving the same kind for promotion DT.

Mike is a badass drummer who didn't get his original way. Let him have fun in his new bands, the worst thing that could happen is that these new bands suck. I for one am really looking forward to them.
__________________
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
http://www.thatdrummerguy.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-08-2011, 11:14 PM
treghet's Avatar
treghet treghet is offline
Altars of Radness
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 5,839
My point was that he wanted to take a break, and he isn't doing so; he's working harder than ever, focusing on "several" projects at once. What happened to having to recharge his batteries?
__________________
9.28 Sadistic Intent / Morbid Saint
10.20 Raven
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-08-2011, 11:25 PM
MPF's Avatar
MPF MPF is offline
That Guy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 8,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
My point was that he wanted to take a break, and he isn't doing so; he's working harder than ever, focusing on "several" projects at once. What happened to having to recharge his batteries?
When he wanted to take a break, he meant he wanted DT to take a break.

Face it, when you been playing in a band for 25 years, you need some time away from that band, it could bee a few weeks, months, years, etc. He wanted DT to take a couple years off so he can get recharged for his love of DT, not that he was burnt out on playing music.

I hate that he is gone, but I honestly can't blame him. 25 years is a lot to keep going at the rate DT was going.
__________________
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
http://www.thatdrummerguy.com
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-08-2011, 11:43 PM
treghet's Avatar
treghet treghet is offline
Altars of Radness
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 5,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
When he wanted to take a break, he meant he wanted DT to take a break.

Face it, when you been playing in a band for 25 years, you need some time away from that band, it could bee a few weeks, months, years, etc. He wanted DT to take a couple years off so he can get recharged for his love of DT, not that he was burnt out on playing music.

I hate that he is gone, but I honestly can't blame him. 25 years is a lot to keep going at the rate DT was going.
I don't blame him for that either, but the way he dealt with the situation made me lose a lot of respect for him, so I probably seem quite biased in my posts. I thought it was immature how he made multiple statements complaining about what happened and how the band was ignoring him. As I said, I don't blame him for feeling worn out and all, but it was his choice to leave or stay, so there was no need for him to go back and forth with the band through the internet. All of the "drama" should have been kept private.

But in the end, I still love Mike as a musician and wish him luck with whatever he does. I just don't get what's going on right now. It seems like there is still a lot of tension between him and the band, so that's why I felt like he was trying to prove something to them. Of course I'm only assuming that, and I'm probably being too harsh on him, but at the same time it wouldn't really surprise me at this point.
__________________
9.28 Sadistic Intent / Morbid Saint
10.20 Raven
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-08-2011, 11:50 PM
MPF's Avatar
MPF MPF is offline
That Guy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 8,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
I don't blame him for that either, but the way he dealt with the situation made me lose a lot of respect for him, so I probably seem quite biased in my posts. I thought it was immature how he made multiple statements complaining about what happened and how the band was ignoring him. As I said, I don't blame him for feeling worn out and all, but it was his choice to leave or stay, so there was no need for him to go back and forth with the band through the internet. All of the "drama" should have been kept private.

But in the end, I still love Mike as a musician and wish him luck with whatever he does. I just don't get what's going on right now. It seems like there is still a lot of tension between him and the band, so that's why I felt like he was trying to prove something to them. Of course I'm only assuming that, and I'm probably being too harsh on him, but at the same time it wouldn't really surprise me at this point.
Honestly I blame Blabbermouth for making the drama worse.

I'm a member on MP's forum and the way he said things there is completely different then Blabbermouth portrayed it. In fact for the most Part, Mike didn't bring up on his own, forum members asked him and he responded to their questions. Blabbermouth always left that part out when they reported every single fucking article.

But I must also agree, Mike could have, and in hindsight for his reputation, should have stayed quiet about the whole thing. A lot of the drama going on would never have started if Mike wasn't as honest as he was. But that is why I love the guy, he is honest. Some call it whining, but to me, he wouldn't have said a word if he didn't want to answer the forumer's questions.
__________________
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
http://www.thatdrummerguy.com
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-09-2011, 04:42 AM
Dextrimental's Avatar
Dextrimental Dextrimental is offline
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ireland
Posts: 2,575
Looking forwad to hearing these projects. Also, lets not forget that with DT, he wanted a break from it because he did EVERYTHING with DT, not a move was made that he didn't supervise personally, and from what I gathered he wanted a break from that. With these bands, he is just the drummer, and promoter with his Twitter posts and what not, but they aren't his projects. I think its cool, and I would agree that he is trying to make a point to DT, but at the same time, dudes a drummer with ADD, he needs to test himself constantly, what better way than session work with some of the best musicians on the planet?
__________________
Yesterday don't mean SHIT.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-09-2011, 06:02 AM
Derelict's Avatar
Derelict Derelict is offline
N00B
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 3,203
Does this guy remind anyone of the ex-girlfriend that breaks up with you, then is mad when you don't try to win her back?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Motograter_Ghost's Avatar
Motograter_Ghost Motograter_Ghost is offline
N00B
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 157
Well Im excited to see these projects bloom. I love Portnoy! Extreamly talented!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:35 PM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008