Old 03-29-2011, 11:46 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Fair to Midland -- Chicago, IL -- March 28th, 2011

Venue: The Bottom Lounge
Source: Me!

Here's a quote of MPF's review of this tour in St. Paul:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
Just got back from the show. HOLY FUCK! The best 13 bucks I've spent in along time.
Now what I have to say:
HOLY FUCK! THE BEST 13 BUCKS I'VE SPENT IN A LONG TIME!

Ahem.

I went to the show only to see Scale the Summit and Periphery. I had only heard 1 Fair to Midland song before the performance, but I was going with a good friend of mine who is a huge FTM fan. Honestly, I didn't know what to expect, since the crowd looked pretty lame from the youtube videos I had been looking up of performances from last week. Jesus Christ... I was wrong.

Scale the Summit:
Colossal
The Great Plains
Apenglow
Secret Earth
Origin of Species (extended)
Drifting Figures
Wales

Finally: my opportunity to see one of my favorite bands, in an intimate setting. It was... beautiful. They were the perfect openers. All but one song were off of The Collective, and the dark, brooding songs combined with the dark atmosphere was just amazing. I would say everyone was super into them, and if anyone wasn't a fan or hadn't heard them before the performance, they were converted by the end. Their sound was pretty spot on, and although I would have wanted to hear a couple more tunes from Carving Desert Canyons, it was still a near-perfect performance. Chris and Travis extended Origin of Species, having a little shred-off at the end, which was awesome, since the album version just fades out. Wales was such a beautiful ending song also. Can't wait to see these guys again!

Periphery:
New Groove
Letter Experiment
Jetpacks was Yes!
Buttersnips
Light
Totla Mad -> Frak the Gods!
Icarus Lives!
The Walk

Oh. My. God. AMAZING performance. First of all, Periphery were spot on musically. Great tone live, and Spencer sounded great singing and screaming. I would say that 75% of the crowd at the show was there to see Periphery, and maybe a good 40% had on Periphery shirts. For the first couple songs, everyone was banging their head and throwing up the horns, and the energy was building, then when Buttersnips began, it exploded into a GIGANTIC pit. Super fun and intense. Everyone rushed the stage during the Walk... such a great show. I absolutely cannot wait to see Periphery headline eventually. Give this band a couple more years and a couple more albums, and they're gonna be selling out House of Blues sized venues.

Fair to Midland
(not sure of the set, so I assume it is similar to what MPF posted for the St. Paul Date):

Whiskey and Ritalin
Walls of Jericho
Musical Chairs Play Video
April Fools and Eggmen
Tall Tales Taste Like Sour Grapes
Rikki Tikki Tavi
Dance of the Manatee (with Spencer Soleto)
Amarillo Sleeps on My Pillow
Golden Parachutes

I had absolutely no idea what to expect for these guys. I had heard one song, Dance of the Manatee, beforehand, and from the youtube videos I looked up, the crowd looked pretty dead for their performances. My friend I was with loved 'em, and Misha was telling everyone at the merch table how awesome they were and how we should all stick around for them. A noticeable amount of people left... but nothing could prepare me for what was gonna happen.

Without any opening intro, Fair to Midland just walked out and burst into their first song, catching me by surprise. The lead singer, Darroh, was literally the most fucking insane performer I've EVER seen. And probably will ever seen. He started the first couple songs with a sweatshirt on and the hood up, pulled over his eyes, pouring water all over himself. When they burst into the first riff, he went insane, like having an epileptic fit. Through the whole night, he was spitting up, drooling all over himself and the crowd, and constantly pouring water and whipping his head like a wet dog. He jumped out into the crowd, right on top of me. He climbed up onto the roof, hanging from a pipe and singing upside down. He sat down in a yoga-like pose, humming what seemed like a buddhist chant for a good 2 full minutes. No video can do it justice, it was unlike anything I had ever seen.

Musically, I don't really know how "metal" it is. Some parts were really metal, but others were soft and chill. Overall, I consider it very good progressive rock, better than most rock bands I've heard. PERFECT live.

Then the crowd. At first, most people didn't know what to expect. A couple people were nodding their heads to the beat, and occasionally throwing up horns. After a couple songs, we began jumping up and down. About halfway, the moshes broke out, and everyone up front was going INSANE. It was the perfect size mosh in my opinion, big enough to have fun but small enough that there was a lot of room and breathing space. Everyone was having a great time; the mosh would end and everyone would hug each other with big smiles on our face. Spencer from Periphery came out for Dance of the Manatee, which resulted in everyone going twice as crazy.

I was converted to a FTM so fast. That was the best concert I have been to in a long time... definitely going to be in my top 3 for this year. I talked to a bunch of the guys back at the merch booth, and picked up a sick Scale the Summit shirt with a new Whales design that isn't available online, and a Periphery shirt. I talked with Travis from STS for a while, and he did confirm- reluctantly- that they were touring with The Human Abstract in June! I also talked with Spencer from Perihpery, who was really down to earth and cool, and briefly talked to Misha Mansoor from Periphery, with a conversation that went like this:

Me: Misha motherfuckin' Mansoor!
Him: That is me!
Me: (kneel down and kiss his hand, genuflecting in his presence)
Him: Woah! I'm flattered...
Me: (standing up) Hey... you're a lot smaller than I expected...
Him: Thats what she said! OOOOOH!

Seriously, he is like 5 feet tall. I didn't expect it at all. Anyway, if you still have the opportunity to catch this tour, do yourself a favor and see it. Super cheap, and super amazing. As always, thanks for reading the review, and leave feedback!
Old 03-30-2011, 12:36 AM
That Guy

I'm glad to see you changed your mind about FTM since my thread. It's cool to see your show as only 13 bucks as well. Besides Minnesota getting STS for 45 minutes, and you getting Spencer Sotelo to sing Dance Of The Manatee (and MIsha giving Darroh a piggy back ride, and Darroh pretending to get on his knees of Spencer's...let's say "area") we had a very similar show.

When I was talking to Chris from STS he was pretty reluctant to talk about the The Human Abstract as well. He hates the fact they are only getting a 30 minute time slot again. He's really trying to get STS to do a headlining tour in the late summer/early fall. All 4 guys are really cool in STS. The Collective will be in my top 10 this year, I can just feel it. When they come back to Minnesota, I'm really looking forward to chatting it up with Chris again.

Spencer Sotelo is one of the coolest singers I have ever met. He really is down to earth. I was really hoping he was going to let the cat out of the bag on who was opening for them this summer, but with the way he was implying to me it will be Tesseract, Animals As Leaders or both. Misha is also badass. The most mellow Metal guitarist I've ever seen.

FTM is the best live act I'll ever see. Even us describing how wild Darroh is can not explain fully how insane their show is. They've been to Minnesota 9 TIMES in the last 4 years and will be coming back in June (I'm sure Chicago as well). Of course Dance Of The Manatee is their biggest hit, but all of their songs are simply badass. and to anyone who questions if FTM is Metal, just wait till you hear Rikki Tikki Tavi. Your balls will be crushed.

I can't wait for all 3 bands to tour the midwest again!
Old 03-30-2011, 08:35 AM
N00B

Seriously trying to make this show on Sunday in Philly. Only one I'm really into is STS but from the sound of it this entire show is flawless. Anybody know how I can get tickets in advance?
Old 03-30-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterPiece120 View Post
Seriously trying to make this show on Sunday in Philly. Only one I'm really into is STS but from the sound of it this entire show is flawless. Anybody know how I can get tickets in advance?
Internetz? :P Seriously, I'm sure if you google the venue's name and find their website, there will be a link to buy tickets. I wouldn't be too concerned, my show was nowhere near being sold out, but there were a lot of people. I bought my ticket a the door.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:03 AM
N00B

venue doesnt even have a website, the fuck is this shit?
Old 03-30-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterPiece120 View Post
venue doesnt even have a website, the fuck is this shit?
Can you find the venue on Google maps? Or yelp.com? Try and find a phone number, call them and ask how you can get tickets.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:56 PM
PSN: BiP_MoNeY

well, after the two reviews from jd061 and MPF I'm really excited for this show in about a week. I hope we somehow get a 45 minute set from STS too..
Old 03-31-2011, 11:13 AM
N00B

you can get the philly tickets at r5productions.com
Old 03-31-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmD_metalhead View Post
well, after the two reviews from jd061 and MPF I'm really excited for this show in about a week. I hope we somehow get a 45 minute set from STS too..
You're in for a show, man. Darroh from FTM is unlike any performer I've ever seen.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:34 PM
PSN: BiP_MoNeY

Well fuck me. Periphery just dropped off the tour right before I was going to see them.

Well at least I'll get to see a really good set from Scale the Summit.

Tags
fair to midland, periphery, scale the summit