Judas Priest -- Kansas City, MO -- October 20th, 2014
Raven -- West Hollywood, CA -- October 20th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Champaign, IL -- October 19th, 2014
Asia -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 17th, 2014
Sammy Hagar -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 18th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 03-08-2011, 12:13 PM
In Search of Truth

Am I the only one who doesn't have the slightest clue what the hell "Dubstep" is?
Old 03-08-2011, 12:19 PM
I'm the ghoul of the medical profession

Dubstep is fucking trash. I listen to noise/PE/blur stuff and I can't even handle how stupid the music is. Honestly, it is a cancer to music. Everyone here is obsessed with it too.
I've noticed all the scene kids are now into it, so I think it has less to do with metalheads liking it as it does with trendy doucehabgs who move on to the next big thing every year or two, and now it's dubstep.

Jeff, dubstep is like a slow techno with annoying "filthy" basslines(noise) thrown in sporadically, slower beats and a sampling of random other noises or samples. Often times they remix other songs and make them shittier by adding reggae beats. Also, it's done almost exclusivley on computer programs like Reason, so dubstep raves are fronted by a guy on a mac.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:31 PM
...the dead are among us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzbang11 View Post
Also, it's done almost exclusivley on computer programs like Reason, so dubstep raves are fronted by a guy on a mac.
I've seen a lot of dubstep groups that use live instrumentation in their shows. (EOTO, Pretty Lights, Break Science, Signal Path, Zilla, etc.) There is just as much bad dubstep as there is bad metal.... now good dubstep... thats few and far between.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:25 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

This isn't the first I've heard of this phenomenon. I've seen it first hand actually, and this guy was the vocalist in my band. He was a little fucked in the head to begin with but he was also one of the most rabid metal fans I've ever encountered. Then, a little while after we had kicked him out of the band for missing too many practices, showing up late for gigs and doing other lead vocalist-y things, he announced to his friends that he was selling all his metal CDs. Even his Meshuggah discs, which at one time were complete untouchables. He started listening to all kinds of electronic music and going to clubs. He chopped his hair off. A few years later, we had lost complete contact but I ran into him when he was working the counter at a local gas station. He asked me to remove any mention of him from the band's website, even though the band had long since disbanded and the website probably hasn't been updated since... 2003? It was like he was never a metalhead, and was clearly embarrassed by it.

I've seen it happen in other cases, but this was the most extreme.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:41 PM
Rats off to ya

I despise dubstep and think it's probably the lowest form of music. I think i'd rather listen to Bring Me The Horizon's entire discography then 10 minutes of dubstep. Dubstep fans are douchey stoners who think they're the shit. Recently i've noticed people who aren't stoners listening to dubstep because I guess it's the new hip thing and you have to listen to dubstep if you wanna be cool. Dubstep is just another stupid trend that will probably be dead by next year.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:45 PM
not the mama

I listen to a lot of electronic stuff but I never really liked dubstep in general. Burial is fucking amazing but everything else I've listened to has been a miss for me. In general, I don't consider myself a metalhead. I do listen to a ton of different types of metal but I also listen to a ton of everything else. I won't stop listening to one, I think there is great stuff in all genres. I also don't mind when people treat music as trends, because honestly it will never affect my taste in music. I already listen to weird shit nobody would bother listen to, no use hating on others for their choice in music.

Then awesome shit like this exist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g85LqKXIgvY
Old 03-08-2011, 06:23 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatteredFlame View Post
I listen to a lot of electronic stuff but I never really liked dubstep in general. Burial is fucking amazing but everything else I've listened to has been a miss for me. In general, I don't consider myself a metalhead. I do listen to a ton of different types of metal but I also listen to a ton of everything else. I won't stop listening to one, I think there is great stuff in all genres. I also don't mind when people treat music as trends, because honestly it will never affect my taste in music. I already listen to weird shit nobody would bother listen to, no use hating on others for their choice in music.

Then awesome shit like this exist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g85LqKXIgvY
100% agree. Also, glad to see another Igorr fan on the planet!
Old 03-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

What's weird, is that I know dubstep is 99% of the time stupid bullshit like this

But I've also heard this described as being part dubstep.

i dunno man
10/27 - DJ Qbert
10/29 - Real Friends
Old 03-08-2011, 07:53 PM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodoftheKings View Post
I despise dubstep and think it's probably the lowest form of music. I think i'd rather listen to Bring Me The Horizon's entire discography then 10 minutes of dubstep. Dubstep fans are douchey stoners who think they're the shit. Recently i've noticed people who aren't stoners listening to dubstep because I guess it's the new hip thing and you have to listen to dubstep if you wanna be cool. Dubstep is just another stupid trend that will probably be dead by next year.
I hope you realize that BMTH has two dubstep remix albums.
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 03-08-2011, 07:56 PM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalDescent View Post
I hope you realize that BMTH has two dubstep remix albums.
I was going to mention that too, but I didn't know what the remixes were. Also, Suicide Silence has a remix of "Genocide", done by Big Chocolate.