Nuclear War Now! Fest IV -- Berlin, Germany -- November 7-8th, 2014
Deafheaven -- Toronto, Ontario -- November 21st, 2014
Threshold -- London, England -- November 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 03-08-2011, 09:01 AM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derelict View Post
eating vodka and potatoes in russia was one of the highlights of my life - i take this as a personal insult
I'm not knocking it. Sounds way more fun than tea and biscuits, anyway.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:02 AM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derelict View Post
eating vodka and potatoes in russia was one of the highlights of my life - i take this as a personal insult
Thank you for support, my friend.

But on a side note, you don't eat vodka.

Not even we do that kind of shit.
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 03-08-2011, 09:09 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I'm not knocking it. Sounds way more fun than tea and biscuits, anyway.
Yeah i know, just busting balls
Old 03-08-2011, 09:09 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalDescent View Post
Thank you for support, my friend.

But on a side note, you don't eat vodka.

Not even we do that kind of shit.
Hm, good point
Old 03-08-2011, 10:06 AM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalDescent View Post
I've recently noticed something - all my friends who considered themselves complete 'metalheads' (I'm talking about people who ONLY listen to metal according to them, not casual listeners) have been going through trance/dupstep/house phases.

Subject #1: Went from being obsessed with power/thrash to trance. Spent around a month going to various trance gigs (Infected Mushroom, Armin van Buuren, Paul van Dyk and more) and looking like a complete tool. Now claims it never happened

Subject #2: Went from being obsessed with Megadave and Whiplash to dubstep. Seeing that he's British, I understand this (all British people, metalheads or not, tend to go through dubstep phases. No offence, ravenheart ), but I was unnerved when he started going to raves. I had been to raves before and it's creepy as shit. As a result of his new hobby, he experimented with ecstasy a bit and then I staged an intervention - not for the ecstasy, but for the dubstep - to somehow justify listening to dubstep, he started listening to Attack Attack!, claiming it was a "-healthy mix of metal (sic) and dupstep." He is now a healthy young man, now again ranting about those obscene prices for Sonisphere UK.

Subject #3: Went from being obsessed with Dream Theater, Municipal Waste, the Big Four, Avenged Sevenfold , and Slipknot to... house?! Yes, the guitars of Marty Friedman & Co. gave way to Benny Benassi and David Guetta. He, unlike the other two, has not yet recovered. He clubs frequently with his two 'metalhead' friends (one of them likes Meshuggah and BDM so all is forgiven ) and yet somehow continues to give the impression to the rest of my friends that he's as brootal as they get.

Also - wanted to put it out there that my Devin Townsend Project concert here in April got cancelled.
well, my friend in question here was probably somewhere between a casual listener and a full-blown metalhead; he was pretty passionate about the music, but he prided himself on the fact that he listened to everything (which was somewhat true) and he definitely didn't dress/act like a normal metalhead would.

But then last year he pretty much stopped listening o metal altogether. We would never talk about it anymore at school and whenever I brought it up, he would immediately change the conversation, as if he didn't give a shit.

So then I noticed he had started listening to dubstep pretty heavily. Every other weekend he's been going to a dubstep show/rave. In fact, my other good friend is going through an electronic phase as well. Fortunately, he still listens to a lot of metal, and doesn't really listen to dubstep.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganarchy View Post
well, my friend in question here was probably somewhere between a casual listener and a full-blown metalhead; he was pretty passionate about the music, but he prided himself on the fact that he listened to everything (which was somewhat true) and he definitely didn't dress/act like a normal metalhead would.

But then last year he pretty much stopped listening o metal altogether. We would never talk about it anymore at school and whenever I brought it up, he would immediately change the conversation, as if he didn't give a shit.

So then I noticed he had started listening to dubstep pretty heavily. Every other weekend he's been going to a dubstep show/rave. In fact, my other good friend is going through an electronic phase as well. Fortunately, he still listens to a lot of metal, and doesn't really listen to dubstep.
Call bullshit on my game as much as you want, but I am a full-blown everything-head.
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 03-08-2011, 10:43 AM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

99% of this music is for tools
Old 03-08-2011, 11:35 AM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

None of my metalhead friends listen to it, but there's way too many of my douchebag/frat boy friends that LOVE dubstep. If I wanted to listen to shitty beats with a table saw going on in the background, I'd go to wood shop class with my iMac.
12/16 - Pallbearer
12/18 - Orange Goblin OR Wolvhammer
Old 03-08-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
None of my metalhead friends listen to it, but there's way too many of my douchebag/frat boy friends that LOVE dubstep. If I wanted to listen to shitty beats with a table saw going on in the background, I'd go to wood shop class with my iMac.
Implying that your iMac is full of shitty beats.
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 03-08-2011, 01:11 PM
...the dead are among us!

Metal and Electronic are the two primary genres I listen to and it's been that way since I was in middle school. Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, The Crystal Method have all been in as much rotation in my listening as much as Metallica, Slayer and Sepultura since '97 when I was 14. I go to both electronic and metal shows, although nowadays electronic festivals are much more appealing than club shows. I also really like the electronic groups that incorporate a live element to their performances (EOTO being a great example of live, improvised dubstep). I will definitely agree that dubstep attracts a super douchey crowd, but then again I feel like that at alot of metal shows as well. There is also a ton of dubstep that is absolute garbage.

I just got my tickets for Nocturnal: Texas actually. STS9, Bassnectar, Crystal Castles, Big Gigantic, Beats Antique, ESKMO, Infected Mushroom, Ghostland Observatory, Pendulum, Excision, Tipper and more!

Oh yeah, I also wanted to say that all those crunk-core bands or whatever you call it are a joke. I like electronic and I like metal, but they don't need to mix. (not in that way)

Last edited by smearCampaign; 03-08-2011 at 01:14 PM.