Touche Amore -- Lawrence, KS -- July 27th, 2014
Machine Head -- Toledo, OH -- July 18th, 2014
MayhemFest -- Clarkston, MI -- July 17th, 2014
Winger -- Portland, ME -- July 26th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 03-10-2011, 10:40 AM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Caspian -- Charlotte, NC -- March 9th, 2011

I realize this isn't a metal band, but there seem to be some folks here that enjoy some post-rock, so what the hell.

I went to this show with two buds, neither of whom cared about seeing Caspian (probably because they've never heard of Caspian), but both of whom were gladly willing to pay the low price of $8 a ticket to ride down to Charlotte with me and make an evening of it.

The venue was one I'd never been to before, called Snug Harbor. It was tiny. I probably could've sprinted the length of the room in about 2 seconds flat. All the employees looked like pirates. Skull & crossbone flags hung all over the place. Regardless of its size, it was a neat atmosphere. I was worried about a low turnout at first. When we walked in there not long after the doors had opened it was deserted. A few pirates stood around and drunk beer, there were the occasional stragglers at the bar (the type of which were obviously oblivious to whatever music was about to be played), and one woman voiced opposition when I demanded the bar tender change the channel from CNN news to the Big East basketball tournament. By the time Caspian took the stage though it had filled in. I'm glad; I wanted Caspian's first show in Charlotte to have a decent turnout. Charlotte's never been the place for much of a post-rock scene.

The opening bands were't very impressive. Chiaroscuro was the more impressive of the two, being bland post-rock. Very little sound variance (everything they played had the same structure: start off soft and melodic and quickly turn into something more heavy and less melodic). They weren't bad bad though. Native was much worse. They were a post-hardcore sounding band with screaming vocals and a bunch of young kids playing instruments. Considering their age, the instruments were all right, but the vocals made the band near unlistenable. I tried to drown them out sitting at the bar watching the Marquette vs West Virginia game.

Caspian took the stage around 11:00pm or so, or maybe a tad later.

Caspian Setlist:

1. Of Foam and Wave
2. Malacoda
3. Moksha
4. Quovis
5. Further Up
6. Further In
7. The Raven
8. Sycamore

I was pretty happy with what they played. Obviously, I've never seen them live before so it's not like I had to worry about seeing repeats. Moksha and Sycamore are two of Caspian's best songs, so I was happy with those. I really would've liked to hear Brombie or Concrescence or Loft or Last Rites though. They had a decent variety of material from all their releases. They didn't play an encore, which I thought was a bit strange. The crowd kept yelling for one after Sycamore, but Philip was like "the bass is broken" and "we don't usually play encores," and so they didn't. It would've been amazing to go out on Brombie or Last Rites. Their sound was great. Beautiful guitar tone - especially for the beginning of Sycamore. The tone catered to their softer material. Concrescence would've sounded amazing. I was standing left of the stage right at the front, so it was all in my face. Very emotional show.

The crowd was pretty decent except for one drunk guy up front who kept thrashing around like he was at a Slayer concert.

Overall though, great performance by Caspian.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:41 AM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

Caspian - hell yeah. Nice to know someone else likes them. Seeing them in April, should be good.
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 03-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Awesome set. "Of Foam and Wave" is a simply incredible opener. They didn't play that song at all the two times I've seen them, so it's really cool that they've made that change apparently. Not to rub it in, but they played "Brombie" the second time I saw them (setlist here), and it was awesome.

Oh, and I love Caspian more than both of you guys, combined, so...just sayin'.

EDIT: My buddy Gregg would be so pissed to hear the you guys got to hear "The Raven". He was with me when I saw Caspian the second time, and he was pulling hard for that song, but they didn't play it.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 03-10-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:45 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Awesome set. "Of Foam and Wave" is a simply incredible opener. They didn't play that song at all the two times I've seen them, so it's really cool that they've made that change apparently. Not to rub it in, but they played "Brombie" the second time I saw them (setlist here), and it was awesome.

EDIT: My buddy Gregg would be so pissed to hear the you guys got to hear "The Raven". He was with me when I saw Caspian the second time, and he was pulling hard for that song, but they didn't play it.
Oh man, you saw a great set too. "Some Are White Light" is great. That's another one I would've loved to hear.

They've seemed to play basically the same material on recent tours and just switch up a song or two. I was looking on Lastfm, and, for instance, I didn't see anything played from You Are The Conductor except "Quovis" > "Further Up" > "Further In." I wish they'd play the last half of that EP instead of the first.

I guess I was lucky retrospectively. I haven't seen "Of Foam and Wave" on any other setlist. Your bud was just unfortunate. "The Raven" is one of their more commonly played songs.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:45 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
I was about to say... you guys gotta watch out for Nat and his Caspian obsession
Old 03-10-2011, 06:13 PM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

Every time I hear the name "Caspian" around here I think of the Persian restaurant by my pad called "Caspian Restaurant". They only serve middle eastern food. They're pretty good actually. I go there once in awhile.

10/19 - D.R.I
11/10 - Judas Priest
11/14 - Slayer
Old 03-10-2011, 06:43 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepultura69 View Post
Every time I hear the name "Caspian" around here I think of the Persian restaurant by my pad called "Caspian Restaurant". They only serve middle eastern food. They're pretty good actually. I go there once in awhile.

Really, a Persian restaurant only serving middle eastern food???
I actually went to a Persian place today for lunch. I had a lamb kebab and basmati rice with barberries, slivered almonds and pistachios, currants and orange zest in a saffron and rosewater sauce.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

Middle Eastern food and Thai food are fucking awesome.

So are Caspian.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:06 PM
N00B

Look at thread, find posts about persians. You called? Anyways, Caspian is awesome but their show is 4 hours away from here and I have no ride unfortunately. I have too many shows coming up anyways.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:16 PM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterguy49 View Post
Look at thread, find posts about persians. You called? Anyways, Caspian is awesome but their show is 4 hours away from here and I have no ride unfortunately. I have too many shows coming up anyways.
sorry about that my brother, I just can't help but laugh every time I hear you guys talk about your love for Caspian because it always makes me think about the Caspian Restaurant that is only 4 blocks away from my pad.

For Example

Quote:
10/19 - D.R.I
11/10 - Judas Priest
11/14 - Slayer

Tags
caspian