Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014
King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014
Overkill -- West Springfield, VA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA Kick-Off -- Atlanta, GA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 2 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 13th, 2014

Old 02-02-2011, 07:25 PM
N00B

Learning Guitar

anyone got any help? i'm trying to learn guitar, so anything anyone has to say is helpful, thanks
Old 02-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Buahahahahaha

Honestly, find some tabs to a song you like and learn how to play the song. Just learning how to play simple songs helps out a lot.
10/30 KING DIAMOND
11/06 Intronaut
Old 02-02-2011, 08:05 PM
In Search of Truth

Don't be a dumbass: Learn music theory. Nothing invalidates you more as a musician than asking how to play something by going: "What note is that? a 3rd fret, 2nd string?" I have tried to work with people like that in the past and it literally rapes my brain.
Sometimes it's kinda hard to teach theory to yourself, but I'd just try to buy an entry level book. You don't need to be like a theory genius, but you should at least know all the notes on the fretboard, how to build chords, scales, keys, and the basics of reading music.

But honestly: Practice, practice, and practice. You'll never get good unless you commit to it. That being said, try to pace yourself. Nothing's more embarrassing than guys who've been playing for all of like 6 months attempt to play solos and leads when they can't pull it off in the least. Learn the basic techniques of playing chords and rhythm guitar, then try to learn some simple songs you like. Once you've got all that down, slowly ease into more difficult stuff. Playing good leads/solos is all about phrasing and feeling, so in a way, you have to do it for a while before you'll develop your skills and style, but just be realistic about it.

Oh, and get a metronome and practice to it.

...I could probably throw more stuff in, but that'll do for now I guess.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:23 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Practise alot. But start off simple, learn some stuff like Black Sabbath, Metallica, Iron Maiden, bands that aren't incredibly technical, but have some incredible song-writing skills. The art of simplicity is any great musicians finest tool. Learn simple songs, then as Maiden33 said, learn basic theory behind why the song makes sense, why the chords work together and so on. Focus first on rhythm, playing along to the cds and a metronome.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:48 PM
Banned Asshole

You'll never play like Zach Wild bro.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:59 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPatient5100 View Post
You'll never play like Zach Wild bro.
Who the fuck is Zach Wild? I only know of Zakk Wylde. Bro.

As for the topic at hand, what Maiden33 said is pretty much it. Learn theory and practice your balls off. Also, get the tabs for Metallica's Kill 'Em All and play along with it. A lot. Just the rhythm guitars at first and gradually start trying the leads. The album is simple enough for a novice to be able to grasp but has enough challenging parts to keep you from reaching a plateau, at least for a while.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:55 AM
Banned Asshole

Jk, you'll be better than him.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:39 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

While "boring stuff" like theory and the like is important, don't overendulge at first. Find an easy song that you enjoy and work on that so that you have something fun to break into when you're sick of scales and stuff. I didn't do that years ago when I started learning guitar, it took all of about three months for me to hate it. I still do even though I really enjoy playing bass (which I just started about a month ago).
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 02-03-2011, 07:18 AM
HEY! LISTEN!

Buy a tuner and use it when you practice so that it doesn't sound terrible and you start subconsciously losing motivation (this happens).
Old 02-03-2011, 01:21 PM
Face The Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Don't be a dumbass: Learn music theory. Nothing invalidates you more as a musician than asking how to play something by going: "What note is that? a 3rd fret, 2nd string?" I have tried to work with people like that in the past and it literally rapes my brain.
Sometimes it's kinda hard to teach theory to yourself, but I'd just try to buy an entry level book. You don't need to be like a theory genius, but you should at least know all the notes on the fretboard, how to build chords, scales, keys, and the basics of reading music.

But honestly: Practice, practice, and practice. You'll never get good unless you commit to it. That being said, try to pace yourself. Nothing's more embarrassing than guys who've been playing for all of like 6 months attempt to play solos and leads when they can't pull it off in the least. Learn the basic techniques of playing chords and rhythm guitar, then try to learn some simple songs you like. Once you've got all that down, slowly ease into more difficult stuff. Playing good leads/solos is all about phrasing and feeling, so in a way, you have to do it for a while before you'll develop your skills and style, but just be realistic about it.

Oh, and get a metronome and practice to it.

...I could probably throw more stuff in, but that'll do for now I guess.
Oh god, this. I consider myself no theory expert nor a great guitarist, but my rhythm guitarist and bassist annoyed the hell out of me with this. They knew hardly any theory and it took me about 15 minutes to teach them just one riff, and they would still play it wrong (and I consider these riffs to be quite simple). I'm glad their gone, hopefully these new guys jamming with us this weekend will be better.

Last edited by Crionics; 02-03-2011 at 01:25 PM.