Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Unearth -- Ottawa, ON -- April 15th, 2014
Black Sabbath -- Ottawa, ON -- April 13th, 2014
Nile -- Baltimore, MD -- April 15th, 2014
Within Temptation -- Newcastle, England -- April 14th, 2014
Carcass -- Silver Spring, MD -- April 13th, 2014

Old 02-14-2011, 01:14 PM
N00B

I've enjoyed the new Destruction and Vreid the most, and Falkenbach is great too if I'm in the right mood. I really liked Iskald's as well at first, but got a little bored of it.

Definitely anticipating Vektor the most.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:04 AM
not the mama

i like keeping updated on this thread lol...

Black Spiders - Sons of the North - This is a pretty kickass rock release. They copy bands like KISS but they still have their own rocking sound. I'm not sure how long this will interest me but for now I'd recommend it to you hardrock/stonerrock/heavymetal fans.

Glassjaw - Coloring Book EP - Only a month passes and they already put out something new! I saw these songs played live at the New Years show, then I thought it was awkward hearing new stuff this "jam" type for a band like this, but I figured the songs would grow on me on CD. I was right. The songs are more groove oriented than their usual stuff but it still contains as much anger without one scream. Glassjaw are on fire this year!

Evergrey - Glorious Collision - I'm not a fan of this band, this is the first release I have heard by them. I dunno, I gave it a try but it's just not for me. The singer shows some passion but the problem is, whenever he sings the band seems to let him have all the attention.

Devin Townsend Project - Live EP - I'm a Devin fan so of course I like it.

Sims - Bad Time Zoo - It's the first hip-hop release I have heard this year and damn is it good! I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with the Doomtree crew but they have some of the best hip-hop going around today! I wasn't a fan of Sims's first 2 albums, but he really stepped it up on this one. He goes for a more P.O.S direction, the hard hitting punk influenced rap. The album switches from deep Astronautalis sounding songs to the heavy P.O.S ones and it flows perfectly. I highly recommend this if you are a hip-hop fan.

Radiohead - The King of Limbs - I love this album. It's not as complex as their other albums. It takes a really laid back approach. Like there is not really much going on but it still is powerful enough to draw some sort of reaction from you. The single "Lotus Flower" in a way sounds like it shouldn't be catchy, but it is incredibly catchy. This is a damn good album if you don;t pay attention to all the hype around this band and just take the music in.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:44 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

I'm up to 7 records so far. I am really digging the new Darkest Hour, it's currently my 2nd favorite record of the year. I listened to the new Emmure for review purposes, it's the worst record I have heard in years.
7/22 Converge

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 02-21-2011, 10:59 AM
N00B

so whats your favorite so far, mastodon?

sorry if you've mentioned it already, I didn't notice
Old 02-21-2011, 07:25 PM
That Guy

I have yet to contribute so far on this one so let me give you my spin on 2011 albums I've heard so far in alphabetical order:

*this is going to be long*

Abacinate: Genesis

Pretty brutal Death Metal. Super fast drumming, heavy riffs, and punishing vocals. There is an odd sense of Melodicness in some songs. I dig it so far.

Abysmal Dawn: Leveling The Plain Of Existence

Again pretty brutal Death Metal. Some of the better Death Metal I've heard in the last few years. It brings it back to the old school Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel early Deicide years. Definitely worth checking out.

Aevum: The Creation Of Power

Very 80's sounding Power/Speed Metal mixed with Symphony X. I haven't heard this one too much yet but I really dig it a lot.

Ageless Oblivion: Temples Of Transcendent Evolution

This is very heavy Technical and Brutal Death Metal. At times it sounds like mixing Triptykon, The Faceless, and Between The Buried And Me. It's another one I gotta check out more, but it is damn good.

Ajatara: Murhat

Pretty decent Black Metal. Bands like Ajatara and Watain give me a reason to enjoy Black Metal again. It's not the stereotypical Black Metal, it's actually varied, but all the great elements of Black Metal as well. It's a rare one, but one to check out.

Architects: The Here And Now

Meh...next.

Belphegor: Blood Magik Necromance

What's not to like? It's pretty standard Belphegor, but that's what I expect out of them, evil, heavy, and epic.

Cake: Showroom Of Compassion

Yes I am fan of the band Cake. It's hard not to be if your not a br00tal Metal fan. This album was worth the long wait. Classic Rock mixed with Blues, Alternative and Electronica. For Cake, it's a great combination.

A Call To Arms: A Call To Arms EP

Finally a Deathcore band that isn't shitty. It's probably because they aren't straight up Deathcore. The vocals have that Deathcore element, and there are breakdowns on every song. But like bands like All Shall Perish, there is much more substance to them. Representing a lot of different styles of Metal throughout. It's pretty heavy shit, but really damn good.

Darkest Hour: The Human Romance

Easily makes The Eternal Return look like a steaming pile of shit. Its some of the best music they have ever made. I went into this record expected to be letdown. As of right now it's one of the best albums I've heard in 2011.

Demonlord: Only The Dead Are Safe

Not nearly as Satanic as you would imagine. It's pretty damn good Power Metal. Again it sounds very 80's Power Metal but these guys do it right. It's a bit cheesy at times but it's a fun listen. I'd almost say a good Metal party album.

Falkenbach- Tiurda

Very Agalloch inspired, but sooo damn good. It's a bit more Folkish then Agalloch but the resemblance is there. It's another album I gotta sit down with but I love it so far.

Hibira: Blind Ride

Very damn impressive Power Metal. It's like if you mixed Nevermore, Iced Earth, and Edguy.I'm really digging this one a lot. I highly recommend it.

Hotel Of The Laughing Tree: Terror And Everything After

Another one of the bands that the non Tr00 Metal fans will have to appreciate. This is from a great Alternative Rock band who adds a tad bit of Rush to their style that I really like. It's definitely not brutal but it's a great album. If you dare to be adventurous, I'd recommend this album a lot.

Lazarus A.D.: Black Rivers Flow

At first I had no idea what to make of this album, what happened to the constant thrashing and relentless Metal thrown around? But after my 3rd listen I realized, this is a fucking fantastic album. It doesn't need to be a fury of riffs all the time to make it Metal. Melody never hurt a band, and it's going to make Lazarus A.D. that much stronger. Just you watch, especially on the next album.

Legion Of The Damned: Descent Into Chaos

One of the best Death inspired Thrash Bands going right now and this album proves it. The whole album feels like a punch in the face and it's so damn cool. I'd love to see these guys live if ever given the opportunity.

Lifelover: Sjukdom

Amazing Post Rock mixed with Black Metal, but holy fuck. It's one of the worst vocal performances I've ever heard in my life. Luckily there's only singing in a few of the songs If there is an instrumental version of this album to come out, I'll but it in a heartbeat, but otherwise this singer fucking sucks balls!

Long Distance Calling: Long Distance Calling

My early contender for album of 2011. Instrumental Progressive Post Metal is the best way to describe these guys. I do feel their previous album, Avoid The Light is a bit better, but what makes this album so fucking good is the song that features John Bush of Armored Saint/Anthrax fame, Middleville. It's easily the best vocal performance he has ever done. Just listen to the chorus and you'll understand. Get this album as soon as it comes out. It is perfection, I expect no less from these guys.

Matterhorn: Volume 1: The World Began Without Man...

What would happen if Russian Circles and Torche made a Post Metal band? 'nough said!

Mogwai: Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will

As much as I do like this album, I don't like it. The Instrumentals are perfection of course, but the others are not. Mogwai would be one of my top favorite bands if they lay off the vocals.

Protest The Hero- Scurrilous

My other favorite album that has come out so far that I've listened to. They brought back the best parts of Kezia, with the best of Fortress and did it right. I almost say this is PTH's best album to date!

Times Of Grace: Hymn Of The Broken Man

If Killswitch Engage kept Jesse and went with a more Post Rock approach. I love this album.

I have a lot more albums, but I haven't had a chance to check them out yet including Crowbar, Destruction, Evergrey, etc. I will be getting to them soon. Maybe even tonight.

Last edited by MPF; 02-21-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:30 PM
In Search of Truth

Tentative top 5 (out of I believe 11 albums I've heard):

01 Evergrey - Glorious Collision
02 Stratovarius - Elysium
03 Hibria - Blind Ride
04 Serenity - Death and Legacy
05 Mr. Big - What If?
Old 02-21-2011, 07:32 PM
We're dying on the inside

I have 40 albums in my to-listen queue for 2011 already and it's February. This year is going to be the best ever for me, mark my words.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:58 PM
I'm the ghoul of the medical profession

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatteredFlame View Post
Wadge - Grindcore Lu'au (It's grindcore with traditional Hawaiian style lu'au influences. Check it out for the novelty!)
Weren't they on the Impetigo tribute Razorback did?
Wadge is possibly in my top 15 favorite band names ever, I think that's where I heard them. I don't recall the music, but something about that name is marvelous.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:02 PM
not the mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
Lifelover: Sjukdom

Amazing Post Rock mixed with Black Metal, but holy fuck. It's one of the worst vocal performances I've ever heard in my life. Luckily there's only singing in a few of the songs If there is an instrumental version of this album to come out, I'll but it in a heartbeat, but otherwise this singer fucking sucks balls!
LOL I haven't listened to this album yet but I have listened to an early release. He sings more and it sounds like some drunk fucker ready to kill some bitch. Kinda like that Eminem song "Kim" but a metal version.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:03 PM
not the mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzbang11 View Post
Weren't they on the Impetigo tribute Razorback did?
Wadge is possibly in my top 15 favorite band names ever, I think that's where I heard them. I don't recall the music, but something about that name is marvelous.
I haven't listened to that so I dunno. But yeah I really like the name Wadge to . The album is just ok though, wish it was better.