Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Electric Light Orchestra -- London, England -- September 14th, 2014
Skeletonwitch -- West Springfield, VA -- September 12th, 2014
KISS -- Lake Oswego, OR -- September 14th, 2014
Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014
King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Misinformation and Propaganda

Old 01-29-2011, 07:24 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

PL is technical, but still simplistic in terms of arrangement compared to all previous SX albums. I liked it, but I hope the new album is a step away from it, though it seems that it wont be the case.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:25 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by makethemsuffer12 View Post
PL turned me on to SX so I'm a little partial towards it (and I'm a fan of heavier, in-your-face stuff to begin with), but I see what you're saying. I don't know if I would call it simplistic, though. Maybe on a structural level compared to their previous material, but there's still no way in fucking hell I would be able play the shit Romeo does on that album.
Yeah, I'll elaborate. Romeo shreds his ass off as always, but to me, the band has always been about much more than shredding. I don't want a really aggressive Yngwie album with some odd time signatures.

It was more of a point from a structural standpoint. The soloing is still top notch, but the riffs as a whole are more simplistic, as is most of the timing on the whole. There's just not nearly as much intricate shit going on on the whole, especially from the other instruments, which are practically all buried by the guitars.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:27 PM
In Search of Truth

To elaborate further, this speaks volumes for my point. Listening back to this song kinda makes me die a little inside when I think about what Paradise Lost was like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbvgt-QugWk
Old 01-29-2011, 07:29 PM
welp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Yeah, I'll elaborate. Romeo shreds his ass off as always, but to me, the band has always been about much more than shredding. I don't want a really aggressive Yngwie album with some odd time signatures.

It was more of a point from a structural standpoint. The soloing is still top notch, but the riffs as a whole are more simplistic, as is most of the timing on the whole. There's just not nearly as much intricate shit going on on the whole, especially from the other instruments, which are practically all buried by the guitars.
True, though simplicity isn't always a bad thing, especially when the songs are as solid as they are on PL.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:31 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by makethemsuffer12 View Post
True, though simplicity isn't always a bad thing, especially when the songs are as solid as they are on PL.
I honestly really could do without about half of the album. The title track is honestly one of my favorite Symphony X song, but it's a big fall from there. I do really like Eve of Seduction and Revelation, and Set the World on Fire is good for what it is, even though it's a second-rate Inferno. The Sacrifice is a nice ballad but underwhelming for me, and there's stuff about Serpent's Kiss I enjoy. But the other songs I really could care less about.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:37 PM
welp

Quote:
I honestly really could do without about half of the album. The title track is honestly one of my favorite Symphony X song, but it's a big fall from there. I do really like Eve of Seduction and Revelation, and Set the World on Fire is good for what it is, even though it's a second-rate Inferno. The Sacrifice is a nice ballad but underwhelming for me, and there's stuff about Serpent's Kiss I enjoy. But the other songs I really could care less about.
Domination has to be one of my favorite songs by them, but as I said before I'm more partial to the heavier stuff. I still need some of their older stuff (I only have PL, The Odyssey, and TDWOT).
Old 01-30-2011, 12:35 AM
Unhealer

Honestly, I didn't understand PL until I saw some of the songs in a live setting. When I first heard the album, I had a similar reaction to Maiden33 - the only album I had by them previously was V, so when I popped this in and heard all the chugga-chugga, raspy Russell, and lack of keyboards in comparison, I went "WTF?" and only listened to Serpent's Kiss, the title track, Eve of Seduction, and Revelation regularly. But when I first saw them live in 2008 and saw StWoF and Domination live, I pretty much "got" it, and now it's a contender for my favorite Symphony X album.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:13 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

PL is probably my favourite album of theirs, although they haven't exactly done a bad album or an album I don't like.

If this is going to be as heavy and riffy as PL, then great. It's brought them more success so far than all of the others (with more than a little help from supporting Dream Theater in Europe), so it's very logical to continue that direction.

25/9 Andrew O'Neill
8/10 Jex Thoth
13/10 The Skull
Old 01-30-2011, 06:10 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
You missed what is easily the best song on the album... The Walls of Babylon! That song fucking rips! Although I do agree that the album as a whole left me wanting a little more.