High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014
Motley Crue -- Alpharetta, GA -- August 16th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 01-31-2011, 02:42 AM
One who onions things

Clutch -- San Luis Obispo, CA -- January 30th, 2011

This was an off-date from the Motorhead tour. Wow, this was a hell of an adventure! I did a little mini-roadtrip with a friend to SLO from San Jose for this concert, and it was worth it for sure. This was my first time driving so far away from home (my folks thought I was in San Francisco) without parents, and so I was a little nervous that it would all fall apart. It didn't however, and my friend and I had a blast. We got to SLO and bolted straight to the venue, a little place called SLO Brewing Company. It reminded me a lot of Slim's (inconveniently placed support beam and all).

I've forgotten the name of the first band completely. It may have started with an "O." They played Sleep-style doom metal but with growled vocals. The vocalist/guitarist was even rocking a Holy Mountain album shirt. They did have some cool riffs, but the cookie monstering killed it for me. They then did a cover of Into the Void that would have been great if not again for the vocals. The guitarist seemed heavily Matt Pike influenced, from the Les Paul-Orange Amp combo to his tone and solo phrasing. Dude couldn't quite nail that signature vibrato though. I think that we're gonna be seeing the very first generation of guys ripping off Josh Homme and Matt Pike very soon if not now.

Valient Thorr were up next and delivered the goods like they do every time. I talked with Valient Himself before and after their set like I did at the Missing Link last May. He's a super nice guy off-stage and raving awesome lunatic on-stage. For the record, he's the only guy I've ever seen that could make half the audience sit down in a mid-guitar solo pow-wow. You had to have been there to know what I'm talking about, but know that it was SO COOL! The band ripped and shredded their way through a slightly reduced set, but they were so much fun nonetheless. I hope to God these guys get the success they deserve, they put too much effort into their performances not to.

This was my first time seeing Clutch, and they blew the roof off. The set was not at all what I expected (nothing from Robot Hive/Exodus!!) but was great nonetheless. Neil's voice was perfect, JP rocked a monster ride cymbal groove every few minutes and Tim showed why restraint can truly make a player shine. A damn great show by a damn great band. The set was strangely very heavy on self-titled material. I think it was because it was their first time in SLO as indicated by Neil. Highlights were John Wilkes Booth, Regulator, Pure Rock Fury, The Devil and Me, Texan Book of the Dead and Escape From the Prison Planet. The Regulator with the dueling guitars of Neil and Tim was amazingly heavy and mind-blowing. Yes, I just described half of their set as "highlights." It was THAT good. I was slightly saddened that we didn't get the usual 2 hour show they give as headliners, but they packed so much awesome into 90 minutes (even with an encore wait that seemed to go on forever) that the 7 hours of driving was worth it.

1. Slow Hole to China
2. Pure Rock Fury
3. 50,000 Unstoppable Watts
4. Struck Down
5. Cypress Grove
6. I Have the Body of John Wilkes Booth
7. Freakonomics
8. The Regulator
9. King of Arizona
10. Child of the City
11. Texan Book of the Dead
12. The Devil and Me
13. Big News I
14. Escape From the Prison Planet
ENCORE
15. Animal Farm
16. Electric Worry/One Eye Dollar

I am so psyched for seeing them again on Wednesday with Motorhead, and maybe we'll get some Robot Hive/Exodus songs!

P.S. On the way out the door I ran into Valient Himself at the merch booth, and congratulated him on the great performance. He replied with silence and by sticking his hand out for a high five which I righteously reciprocated. Dude is one bad-ass mother fucker.
Impaled (?) - 8/15
Sleep - 8/30
Swans - 9/10
King Diamond - 10/31

Last edited by Onioner; 01-31-2011 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Needed to edit set-list
Old 01-31-2011, 04:22 AM
PC Load Letter? What the fuck does that mean?

Great set, but you're right that it needs maybe two Robot Hive songs. We missed them playing the Regulator at the Cleveland show because Neil's hand was in a bandage. I guess he's OK.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:40 AM
We're dying on the inside

What is this fifteen songs bullshit? This was headlining? Clutch, I am disappoint.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:53 AM
...the dead are among us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
What is this fifteen songs bullshit? This was headlining? Clutch, I am disappoint.
Yes, that seems awfully short for a Clutch headlining show. Anyone know how long they are playing on the Motorhead shows?
10/3 - Prosanctus Inferi / Horrendous
Old 01-31-2011, 10:51 AM
Bobb O)))

that opening band sounds like they could be awesome to me, any chance you could remember who they were?
10/4-Melvins
Old 01-31-2011, 12:05 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onioner View Post
I think that we're gonna be seeing the very first generation of guys ripping off Josh Homme and Matt Pike very soon if not now.
Sup
Old 01-31-2011, 02:21 PM
Pass the steak sauce

Definitely short for a Clutch headline show, but the set is still pretty damn solid. JWB and Prison Planet? Awesome.
10/18 - Anvil
10/19 - THE KING
11/18 - Manowar
Old 01-31-2011, 02:57 PM
Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the lightsaber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
THIS! but, over all a pretty solid set with Prison Planet, JWB, Slow Hole, Texan, Regulator and Big News I.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:24 PM
One who onions things

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt11763 View Post
that opening band sounds like they could be awesome to me, any chance you could remember who they were?
Now that I've had the day to catch up, I now remember they were called Odoun.

Also, I forgot to add in Freakonomics to the set-list. And guys, the concert was still amazing even if I didn't get a long set. I mean, five songs from S/T?! How awesome is that? Frankly, any concert longer than 90 minutes I consider a bonus given the let-downs I've had in the past. (Rob Halford playing for barely an hour as a headliner, and Brent Hinds' set-killing freakout at Oakland being the first that come to mind). Anyway, I'm fairly sure the shorter set wasn't actually the bands' fault. The billing was advertised as just Clutch and Valient Thorr from 7 to 11. I think the promoter tacked on another opener without telling the others and started the show 30 minutes late. Even Valient Himself mentioned that they were gonna cut their set short so that Clutch wouldn't have to suffer. Given that SLO is pretty much a college town, I'd bet that their 11 o'clock curfew is pretty well enforced, which definitely wouldn't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
Sup
Play guitar Tony?
Impaled (?) - 8/15
Sleep - 8/30
Swans - 9/10
King Diamond - 10/31

Last edited by Onioner; 01-31-2011 at 04:32 PM.

Tags
clutch, valient thorr