Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014
King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014
Overkill -- West Springfield, VA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA Kick-Off -- Atlanta, GA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 2 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 13th, 2014

Old 05-04-2011, 01:48 PM
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugeRockStar View Post
ASOP was honestly the only IF album I was ever dissapointed in,
This.
It seems to me that Sounds of a Playground Fading might sound like A Sense Of Purpose, that might not be a good thing. I'll wait til I hear the whole album.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:06 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

I'm not really digging it.

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 05-04-2011, 09:37 PM
Trainwreck Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indestructible View Post
This.
It seems to me that Sounds of a Playground Fading might sound like A Sense Of Purpose, that might not be a good thing. I'll wait til I hear the whole album.
It sounds so far like it will be what A Sense Of Purpose could have been if it was good lol. Better production, more guitars, more atmosphere, and less annoying lol. Even that album has some songs I like, but I find it was lacking something.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:38 PM
We're dying on the inside

ASOP had about four excellent songs. I thought it was the best "new" IF album apart from Come Clarity.

This song is not excellent.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:14 PM
I can't stop thinking big

I liked the solo section and the intro. Everything else was ok. I dunno. I'll give the album a fair shot, but I'm not expecting anything out of it.
7/18 - Iron Maiden/Alice Cooper
Old 05-05-2011, 07:06 AM
the light in the darkness that never ends

not really good but gotta wait for whole album, which im expecting to be much worse. Either way, gonna be weird live because Anders cant even hit the notes in the chorus of come clarity live without backing tracks. Some of this song makes me wonder how he will pull it off live too.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:16 AM
Look at me now, using torches of fire, look higher than anyone else, I am the great juggler!

Ugh, Anders still thinks he can sing.

As for the song itself, nothing spectacular really.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:27 PM
My heart, tears, and prayers go out to the sad, abused, and suffering children of the world!

Here's a review of the album. It's a Spanish to English translation.
Quote:
First surprise, In Flames label change. Nuclear Blast leave and booked by Century Media. It sounds weird. Something is brewing, I think.

Second surprise, a very different home than usual. Changes are coming, I think.

Reaches the disk into my hands and I to play with more fear than hope. With more uncertainty like listening to a band that I'm from "Subterranean."

I decide to listen without any claim to success. I hope something like "Soundtrack to your escape." Error. "Liberation" features a new In Flames. It seems that the output of Jesper Strömblad the band has changed their composition level. The clear voice tinged with Anders rocker backed by a subtle guitar chords cleared my doubts.

At the moment, "Deliver us" and "Sound of a playground fading sounds are very alternative rock. Melodic, catchy and fresh.

"Where the dead dwell ships" recovered a little the strength, timing and intensity of past tense. Not reach their key moments. Among new sounds, this degree of distortion seems to me misplaced. I case with "A new dawn", "The Puzzle" and "A new dawn".

"The Attic" is a sublime piece of exquisite taste and a melodic tessitura In Flames has ever seen. I doubt the touch live as people can sleep but it is fantastic.

"Ropes" recovers some of the melodic essence but in an alternative dimension shown Anders total but hesitant as to which voices use.

"Sound of a playgroung fadind" an eternal question I asked myself what if a group wants to change his style, and so dramatically, why not use another name and does not fool the fans? Style has changed several times. The fans will not have turned their backs but nothing remains of their roots. Jesper output was final and I dare say that changes in the band as well. Only time knows.

Listening to the entire work I have been afraid to record an album completely different and hence has a more extreme patch. I think that made the step should be an all or nothing.

Personally, I like change. At some point you may need it. The melodeath need fresh and it seems that they are unable to give them. Like Soilwork. Dark Tranquillity different. Only time knows.

At present its new work explores new ground. The controversy is more than warranted. If you listen to it without knowing they are in Flames might like and maybe enjoy it a lot. If you think of the band that recorded "The jester race" or "Clayman" take no more than three minutes of this disc.

8 / 10

Marc Gutierrez
Old 05-05-2011, 02:37 PM
Fairies wear boots and ya gotta believe me.

Every song on A Sense of Purpose is better than this one, imo. I know I'm in the minority, but I think ASOP is the best thing In Flames have done since Clayman.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:46 AM
My heart, tears, and prayers go out to the sad, abused, and suffering children of the world!

Another new song!