Nuclear War Now! Fest IV -- Berlin, Germany -- November 7-8th, 2014
Deafheaven -- Toronto, Ontario -- November 21st, 2014
Threshold -- London, England -- November 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat > Movies

Old 01-20-2011, 08:25 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
"Badder Santa" was never released here as a separate title. We only have "Bad Santa", but what I don't know is if our DVD version of "Bad Santa" is actually the "Badder Santa" cut, just with the original name. Anyone know?

EDIT: Apparently we also had "Bad Santa: The Uncensored Version", which is now out of print. Only the standard version remains in print.

I haven't heard of 'Waiting'. Must have been on a fairly limited release here. The premise sounds stupid and it's got Anna Farris in it, who is generally an indication that a movie is dumb slapstick bullshit, so I'm going to need a LOT of convincing that it's worth my time...
This is the kind of humor in Waiting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPS77dpwgaw

Along with a zillion dick jokes and nazi-lesbian secenes. It's kind of an Americal pie rip-off but for some reason I couldn't stop laughing. The dick game and seeing what they do to your food when you send it back was funny and educational at the same time. It helps that I was expecting a 2 or 3 and got an 8 or 9 also. I really want to watch it again now and see if the "goat" scene is as funny as I remember. I barely remember Anna Farris in it actually. I think she just played her stereotypical role while people busted jokes on her.

I always considered Clerks the best comedy ever made but Badder Santa might have surpassed it this year. I'll have to watch both again along with 40 year old Virgin just to see if my Top 3 is still intact.

I wish I knew the difference in Bad Santa's but I don't remember the additional "You're not going to shit right for a week" scene in the original.
1/28 - Machine Head
Old 01-20-2011, 08:35 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
"Badder Santa" was never released here as a separate title. We only have "Bad Santa", but what I don't know is if our DVD version of "Bad Santa" is actually the "Badder Santa" cut, just with the original name. Anyone know?

EDIT: Apparently we also had "Bad Santa: The Uncensored Version", which is now out of print. Only the standard version remains in print.

I haven't heard of 'Waiting'. Must have been on a fairly limited release here. The premise sounds stupid and it's got Anna Farris in it, who is generally an indication that a movie is dumb slapstick bullshit, so I'm going to need a LOT of convincing that it's worth my time...
It's the same cut we have over here, it's just a slightly different title in the States.
12/21 TRC/DI
12/27 Four Year Strong

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 01-20-2011, 08:53 AM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

I can safely say this is the first time I've heard someone bring up Bad Santa in the "best comedies ever" discussion
Old 01-20-2011, 08:54 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

BAD SANTA FUCKING RULES.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:52 AM
We're dying on the inside

Best comedies ever is tough. The Coens stuff that can be called true comedies are all at the very top for me, Tommy Boy is by far the cream of the '90s Sandler-Spade-Farley-Carrey crop, and Christopher Guest movies are always terrific.

Never seen Bad Santa, but it's in my Netflix queue thanks to jhdeity's endorsement.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:56 AM

"Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" with Steve Martin and Michael Caine is priceless. "The Jerk" is awesome as well.

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is a classic - I watch it several times during the holiday season every year, and a few times throughout the year as well.

---------

Regarding Coen Brothers, it's a crying fucking shame that none of you - not even B-Rad - has mentioned "Blood Simple". That shit is classic, son. Classic.

(EDIT: Not to mention "A Serious Man", "The Ladykillers", "Intolerable Cruelty", "The Man Who Wasn't There", "Barton Fink", "Miller's Crossing" and "Raising Arizona")

Last edited by Natrlhi; 01-20-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:04 AM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

Most of the best comedies that would make my list would be from the 70's and 80's: Caddyshack, Airplane!, Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, Ghostbusters, etc.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
Most of the best comedies that would make my list would be from the 70's and 80's: Caddyshack, Airplane!, Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, Ghostbusters, etc.
"Caddyshack" and "Airplane!" are classics. "Blazing Saddles" was a classic too, but it's so blatantly racist I can't watch it anymore without getting a case of the heebie jeebies. As far as "Ghostbusters", I'd rather watch Bill Murray in "Stripes" or Dan Aykroyd riff with Chevy Chase in "Spies Like Us". Speaking of Chevy Chase, my friend and I used to watch "Fletch" so much we almost had the whole fucking script memorized. ...and speaking of memorization, can almost quote the script of "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" for you right here and now.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:11 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

I didn't laugh once during Blazing Saddles.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:16 AM
We're dying on the inside

Definitely kicking myself for not mentioning Holy Grail. It's my second favorite comedy after Lebowski.