Gojira -- Providence, RI -- October 30th, 2014
Slipknot -- El Paso, TX -- October 29th, 2014
Saint Vitus -- London, England -- October 29th, 2014
King Diamond -- Seattle, WA -- October 28th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 01-14-2011, 11:44 AM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

Sepultura -- Anahiem, CA -- January 13th, 2011

EDIT: The show was January 13th 2011. Forgot to add that. Hopefully a mod can fix that

Great show. Let me start off by saying that this isn't much of a review but more of a quick little Rant on how the show went down. I wouldn't be able to put out a very good review like most of the other people on here, so I'm just going to make a little quickie(Probably not a quickie, but whatever).

LET THE RANT BEGIN

Anyways. So I was suppose to meet up with a bunch of friend before heading to the show. I should also note that all of my friends came just to see ANGRA....AND ONLY ANGRA. They are all die-hard Power metal fans. They could careless for Sepultura. It was around 7:30ish, I got a call from them saying that they would be chilling for awhile at another one of our friends pads. They wanted to drink a bunch of alcohol and get warmed up before heading to the show. I told them 100 times it was just going to be only 2 bands at this show, BUT nope, I just got a little response that went something to the extent of "NAH MAN THERE'S GOING TO BE LIKE 4-5 OPENING BANDS. IT ALWAYS WORKS LIKE THAT. WERE GONNA SHOW UP AROUND 9. CRUISE OVER AND LETS MEET UP". I didn't want to risk it so I ended up going solo and driving to the house of blues by myself and they would just meet up with me at the show, in the venue. I got to the House of blues at around 7:50ish. Got inside the Venue by 8pm. BOOM, Got my spot on the front rail.....and at 8:01 the lights went off and out came ANGRA......talk about easy as pie?

I've never been a fan of Angra or power metal but I will admit...they totally blew me away. They sounded Unbelievable!! I didn't know any of the songs they were playing but It still didn't stop me from jumping up and down and going crazy during their set. Eduardo Falaschi voice is just simply...BEAUTIFUL. Kiko Loureiro and the rest of the band sounded spot on and they really seemed to be loving the crowed response. You could tell there was alot of angra fans at this show. They were practically eating off the palm of the bands hand........Did I ever mention that all my friends were still no where to be seen or found? I wanted to race back to my car and get my cell to call them and let them know that the band they have all waited ages for to see... is now rocking on stage. I left my phone in my car and the security wouldn't allow me to leave because this was one of those venues were there's no "Ins and outs". Angra played exactly for one hour and 5 minutes. Pretty long for a "opening band" but its totally justifiable for a band like Angra. I don't even know anything about them but after this show I left a believer and I plan on getting all their albums....Angra was godly...nuff said..

Right after Angra finished their set and left the stage....and I literally mean like 10 seconds after they leave the stage......ALL MY FRIENDS SHOW UP RIGHT THEN AND THERE. They were all so pumped, amped and ready to go crazy when Angra came on. I thought this was some kind of sick joke. When I broke the News to them it was priceless. The looks on their faces could tell you easily how heartbroken and devastated they were. At one point one of my friends(Who is a die hard Angra fan) grabs on to my shirt and starts screaming into my face "DUDE?!?! DUDE?!?! ARE YOU FUCKING WITH ME?!?! ARE YOU FUCKING WITH ME!! NO!?!?! YOU'RE FUCKING WITH Me?!?!?!?". After less then a minute from hearing the brutal news... all of my friends bolted out of the House of Blues in dismay, and that was it....they were all gone like that.. They all got their tickets for this show way back in the summer only to miss there all time favorite band. Talk about depressing

After about an hour of lagging, Sepultura finally took the stage at exactly 9:45 and rocked the house till 11:30. I think what made this show even more "special" was the fact that all the people that were at this gig STILL supported the current formation of the band and backed the band up 100%. I met all kinds of fans that still loved the current line-up and could care less if the Cavaleras were in the band or not....I thought that was great and showed how much the fans still love and support Sep after all these years through struggles, and trials and tribulations. After Max's departure the band had to start from scratch again so they have gone through a lot of shit to get were they are now(which REALLY isnt saying much I guess... but Like I said....they still got there legions of supporters like myself and the crowed last night was a great example.).....
After the first 2 songs they played, I ended up ditching the front Rail and went into the pit to mosh for the rest of the night, headbanging and thrashing my ass off until the lights went on and the show was over. You could tell the fans even loved the New stuff they played because the pits were getting FUCKING BRUTAL especially during "WHAT I DO?". I ended up spraying my ankle in the pits during the performance of the new song off their upcoming album but it didn't stop me from thrashing out in the pit for the rest of the night.

The Band Sounded AMAZING!!! AMAZZZZZZING!!!! As sad as it is that Igor is gone and out of Sep, Jean Dolabella is fitting in pretty well as the new drummer for the band. He definitely stood out during songs like "Innerself" and "Territory" while hitting every beat precisely just like Igor did, especially during "Territory". Paulo Jr?....Well, what is there to say about this man? HE'S NO FUCKING BASS GOD LIKE Steve DiGiorgio! I guess all i can say is that it was nice to hear his bass loud and audible(he may have sucked on the bass back then but atleast he doesn't fake playing the guitar these days like Max Cavalera....In fact Its a pretty known fact that Max Cavalera fucking sucks balls at playing guitar now, and always has his guitar super low to non-existent in the mix). Derrick Green really braught his A-game to the table. He sounded so fucking Brutal during the A-Lex tunes while at the same time bringing out the aggression and power during the Older Tunes like "Innerself" and "Meaningless Movements". Lets not forget the loud crushing riffs that were coming out of the guitar of mr Kisser...speaking of which... The highlight of the night for me was the man himself..... Mr. Andreas Kisser. One of the main reasons I still love Sepultura and back them up 100% is because of the man, alone. He could have easily gave up and stopped once max left but NO...he kept the band moving on and not letting anyone give them a bit of doubt. SURE THEY DIDN'T come out with another masterpiece like "Beneath the Remains" or "Arise" But honestly look at Soulfly and Cavalera Conspiracy(THEY ARE BOTH SHIT). Point is....To most of ya'll this is nothing more then a fake sleazy cover band but I dare anyone to go see them in concert and then open there mouths up again(THEY SOUNDED AMAZING LAST NIGHT.)...They may have lost some of their more important members but they are still going strong as ever. Sepultura(in my opinion) is in the same EXACT situation as bands like Alice in Chain, Napalm Death, Cannibal Corpse, Exodus ect......But NONE OF THOSE BANDS GET THE AMOUNT OF SHIT sepultura gets... As Long as Seps got Kisser...THAT IS FINE BY ME(Just like if jerry cantrel is in Alice in Chains its fine with the AIC fans even though the original singer is dead)

The biggest disappointment for me at the show was the fact that they kept ignoring my request to play "Biotech is Godzilla". I must have screamed that song out loud like 800 times. It was IMPOSSIBLE for them not to hear me!...Especially considering how incredibly small the house of blues in Anaheim is! AT ONE POINT Derrick even asked the audience for a "Chaos A.D fan request". FAN REQUEST MY ASS. They ended up playing Amen(I doubt it was fan request but more like IT'S PART OF THE SET)

After the show was over I was too dead and drained out to go meet up with my friends so I just went back to my place....Not too mention my ankle got sprayed like a mother fucker....goddamn its like the size of a basketball!!....There's my 2 cents

SEPULTURA Setlist
Intro
Arise
Refuse Resist
Dead Embryonic Cells
Amen
Convicted in Life
Sepulnation
What I Do?
Necromancer
Troops of Doom
Septic Schizo
ESCAPE TO THE VOID
Meaningless Movements
The Treatment
*NEW SONG off upcoming album*
Attitude
spit
Kaiowas
Inner self
Conform
Territory
----------------
Policia *COVER SONG*
Ratamahatta
Roots Bloody Roots

END OF RANT

inb4 "too long didn't read"
11/14 - Slayer

Last edited by Sepultura69; 01-14-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:02 PM
PC Load Letter? What the fuck does that mean?

Nice set. Policia live must have been ridiculous!! Regarding your friends, that sucks ass. That's why I never take chances on bands I want to see. I'll show up really early if I have to just to make sure, I don't care. I'll sit through shitty band upon shitty band, I don't care. Live and learn I guess
Old 01-14-2011, 12:02 PM
welp

Your friends are idiots.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makethemsuffer12 View Post
Your friends are idiots.
I totally agree. 100% with you. I can't imagine how bummed out they are. They have been waiting to see Angra....I want to say a decade?.....
11/14 - Slayer
Old 01-14-2011, 12:13 PM
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG

Your friends should of listend to you, but I can understand why they thought there were going to be 4 or 5 opening bands. Because there are always four or five opening bands at a show and most of the time they suck and are a waste of time.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrovar View Post
Regarding your friends, that sucks ass. That's why I never take chances on bands I want to see. I'll show up really early if I have to just to make sure, I don't care. I'll sit through shitty band upon shitty band, I don't care. Live and learn I guess
EXACTLY. Thats why I didn't meet up with my friends. We were all suppose to meet up and chill before heading to the show but they wanted to chill and get drunk, smoke, and that was just a NO CAN DO FOR ME. I have been waiting to see Sepultura(OLD FORMATION OR NEW)for a really long time. I had my mind 100% set on getting to the show as soon as the doors open and I wasn't going to let anything get in my way. HENCE which is why I decided to bust a solo mission and just go to the house of blues by myself.
11/14 - Slayer
Old 01-14-2011, 12:30 PM
Close your eyes forget your name

Great review; as said before your friends are idiots; I'm sure it was worth whatever the tickets cost to get to the show, find out that their band just played, scream at you and leave

money well spent right?

I can see the next American Express spot (not correct figures, I don't know how much tix cost)

-tickets to show: $25
-gas money: $40
-Booze, weed, etc.: $55
-to show up for a band you've been waiting for forever only to find out you missed because you were stoned: FUCKING PRICELESS

Last edited by DisposableJustice; 01-14-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisposableJustice View Post
Great review; as said before your friends are idiots; I'm sure it was worth whatever the tickets cost to get to the show, find out that their band just played, scream at you and leave

money well spent right?

I can see the next American Express spot (not correct figures, I don't know how much tix cost)

-tickets to show: $25
-gas money: $40
-Booze, weed, etc.: $55
-to show up for a band you've been waiting for forever only to find out you missed because you were stoned: FUCKING PRICELESS
smoking may have played a role but the HUGE reason why they missed out was because they were all at one of our friends house getting hammered. I don't see what the point on getting wasted to see a concert is? Last time I got "Wasted" for a show was Metallica in 2008 in San Diego. I have never drinkin' at or before a concert since then......Its a waste of time, plus I love going to concerts in a sober state of mind. I feel like i get 1000000 x more energy then if I were to be shitfaced. Meh there loss.

I do feel like pointing out once again that ANGRA FUCKING OWNED
11/14 - Slayer

Last edited by Sepultura69; 01-14-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:16 PM
" Amps on Ten, Ears are Bleeding "

What about Warbringer? I think they played before Angra. If I am going to see a show for one band I get there one hour before doors so I don't feel like a king size douche afterward. I am sorry to hammer on your friends, but Angra doesn't tour the states every year.

I have seen Sepultura twice with the current line-up. I think they sound good and I liked both shows, but going from two guitars to one is tough live.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarsip View Post
What about Warbringer? I think they played before Angra. If I am going to see a show for one band I get there one hour before doors so I don't feel like a king size douche afterward. I am sorry to hammer on your friends, but Angra doesn't tour the states every year.

I have seen Sepultura twice with the current line-up. I think they sound good and I liked both shows, but going from two guitars to one is tough live.
Warbringer did not play at last nights show. It was just Angra and Sepultura. As for "Being tough live"? Say what you will, We can agree to disagree but the loss of a Rhythm guitarist didn't bug me that much. Hell, Napalm Death don't have a lead guitarist anymore and they still sound phenomenal live. Plenty of 3 Piece bands out there that still kick ass(SADUS, Destruction, Venom ect). Also I don't think Max could even play the rhythm parts anymore(Some say he's lost whatever skillz he had on the guitar and is totally non-existent to the playing now)
11/14 - Slayer

Tags
angra, sepultura