My 2010 in metal
http://www.myspace.com/dianachav/blog/541718106
Old 01-17-2011, 12:35 PM
I'm the ghoul of the medical profession

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondtheblack View Post
Haha, myspace.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:40 PM
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post

Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier

22 Voters
168 Total Points

----

Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time

20 Voters
153 Total Points

----

Agalloch - Marrow Of The Spirit

14 Voters
134 Total Points

----

Triptykon - Eparistera Daimones

13 Voters
120 Total Points

----

Overkill - Ironbound

15 Voters
117 Total Points

----

Deftones - Diamond Eyes

10 Voters
106 Total Points

----

High On Fire - Snakes For The Divine

15 Voters
104 Total Points

----

Alcest - Ecailles de Lune

12 Voters
93 Total Points

----

Enslaved - Axioma Ethica Odini

10 Voters
91 Total Points

----

Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy

11 Voters
90 Total Points
A best album list on metalsetlist where half of the albums are actually good, who knew.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:58 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indestructible View Post
A best album list on metalsetlist where half of the albums are actually good, who knew.
9/10 are good, bud.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:00 PM
Banned Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzbang11 View Post
Haha, myspace.
Edit
My 2010 in metal
by Diana Chavdarova on Monday, 17 January 2011 at 21:41

2010 could not but have been dominated by Triptykon, who dare to embody the very core of the genre: severe, bare-nerved, heart-torn emotion, which likely leaves the artist devastated. A sacrifice of life in the name of art that, paradoxically, aims directly at the deepest roots of life. And delivers - hence the fascination of the metal world with Eparistera Daimones. It is a record of addiction. It growls the lure of sticky darkness, the darkest depths of human psyche which make us run screaming. Eparistera Daimones entraps us with no chance to escape. Beware.

'After' that disturbing definition comes the free crossing, the transcendence of all boundaries - which, sadly, metal audiences seem to less appreciate. Ihsahn's completing part of a trilogy paints a picture in grim tones, but using a vast variety of paints and textures, with the light yet solid hand, brush and pick of a master. There's no musical area where Ihsahn wouldn't feel at home, and 'After' is an organic sculpture of the artist's long-traveled completion. The maturing, evolving, diverse metal listener finds their comrade in Ihsahn.

'Blackjazz' by Shining falls in the same paradigm (minus neo-classicism), signifying the willingness of jazz to embrace metal. Is it, for the first time, true jazz sensibility embodied in metal, or, vice versa, a lurking metal sensibility demanding its embodiment by jazz musicians?

Luckily for metal, is a drummer of the caliber of the best black groovers. Hearing him live broke the cliche in my mind that there is no drummer like a black drummer. James Brown would have been satisfied.

I'd dream of a rhythm-section consisting of Torstein and Lars Norberg, of whom a friend said: "As if Jaco Pastorius has resurrected, evolved, and decided to play progressive metal."

Blackjazz is a shining, solid artifact - one that should shake the conservative roots of a stale metal scene. The same scene seems to have failed to notice this artifact, but indeed, music for the masses has never been what counts.

While saying that, I immediately make an objection: there's "Metal God"'s latest offering, Halford - Made of Metal. Here we talk about classicism, about unveiling metal in its history, oozing from the vocal chords - and the heart! - of a brilliant, and brilliantly polished singer. In His golden age, a metal God surrenders inhuman sharpness (never forget the ultimate definition of "metal", "Painkiller"...) for depth, warmth and roundness. If there is such a thing as a "metal brotherhood", it is tangibly felt through the lyrics:

Beg steal or borrow

Like there's no tomorrow

Your fortune is fleeting

But love has no bounds

Dare to be open

Your wild heart has spoken

Each one of us has

What we know must be found

Must be found

Throw aside intellectualism, we LOVE Halford!

Below, I must list 1349's Demonoir - a record so hot, I have had to resort to frozen ice-cream while listening. It is a well-calculated hellish mechanism. Vocals, at least on the record, are precision. It of course features Frost: musician fiercely intense, manic, and very sensual and fleshy all the same; sensual whilst meticulously applying each crushing stroke, and conceptualizing his grand-scale vision of a genre he believes in. Together with Tom G. Fischer, another example of a martyr in the name of art.

I have not yet participated with 1349 live, but it must feel like surrendering to fire in a controlled environment. I cannot wait.

Then there's my favorite subgenre of Oriental metal:

Melechesh return with The Epigenesis - a record I admittedly have not gotten fully into; so, for now, my sympathies lean toward Sphynx (not least due to the presence of Proscriptor).

Orphaned Land - The Never Ending Way of ORWarriOR

Aeternam - Disciples of the Unseen

Kamelot - Poetry for the Poisoned: even though my sympathies stay with the band Conception, I cannot but recognize Kamelot's exquisiteness, and especially in this record. The refinement seems endless. If there are operatic vocals in metal that delight me, these Khan's.

I leave the 10th position open for whatever I have omitted...

Daath - Daath, why not.

(Enslaved - Axioma Ethica Odini has not eluded me, but I have always suspected Enslaved of pseudo-philosophism, and here it has emanated.)

Triptykon - Eparistera Daimones - Prowling Death Records / Century Media Records

Ihsahn - After - Mnemosyne Productions / Candlelight Records

Shining - Blackjazz - Indie Recordings

Halford - Made of Metal - Metal God Entertainment

1349 - Demonoir - Indie Recordings / Prosthetic Records

Melechesh - The Epigenesis - Nuclear Blast Records

Orphaned Land - The Never Ending Way of ORWarriOR - Century Media Records

Aeternam - Disciples of the Unseen - Metal Blade Records

Kamelot - Poetry for the Poisoned - Edel Music / KMG Recordings

Daath - Daath - Century Media Records

My songs of 2010:

Triptykon - Shatter - haunting and addictive

Samael - Antigod: Samael's EP is a clue to the upcoming record, which I am anxiously awaiting. 'Antigod' (EP) satisfies fully, as Samael seem to have nailed it: the intricacy of Passage plus the industrial trill. Their strict yet abundant, subtle yet assertive, conceptualized aesthetics are what appeals to me the most in metal. Their lyrics are my mantras.

1349 - Psalm 7:77 - infectious and meticulously unnerving

Shining - Fisheye: only jazzmen could take over metal with such an attitude. Sweeping.

Ihsahn - Frozen Lakes on Mars - saturating. The progressive heaviness Ihsahn has been approximating throughout his career.

I shall conclude with a few words on Ihsahn.

Here is one of these rare individuals which are born as fine artists. He is sheer embodiment of Beauty; he comes from the domains of Beauty we are never to fully understand, but we are to feel and appreciate. Ihsahn is here for our delight, and he generously invites us to indulge.

A few lines I had written upon the release of After:

"Some critics have duly described Ihsahn's last installment as "measureless"; this said, its limitlessness is devoid of a pretense ascribed by some to the artist. Not only After isn't pompous - it is a refutation of indiscriminate expansion. The measurelessness of the concluding part of Ihsahn's opus stems from an in-depth, sober and subtle reflection upon the genesis of heavy music, and a pure, sweeping, saturating emotion. To Jorgen Munkeby we owe the rare witnessing of genuine jazz sensibility in metal. Lars Norberg and Asgeir Mickelson of legendary Spiral Architect are the usual, but extraordinary suspects in making After a document of finest aestheticism. This Romantic masterpiece transgresses genre characteristics, molding together the heritage of our contemporary musical background in a brush vivid and innovative, and authentically metal in the Artist's bold venturing into Everything. The tides of After whisper to our hearts the unbearable."

Yet I admit that my favourite Ihsahn is angL. What I love about it is, namely, the pure aestheticism, the apology of Beauty, versus the agonism of After. Venus (ruler of Libra) could not have aimed at a more profound incarnation.

Indulge your lips, I do insist...

Drink up!

Indefinite the course of my descent.

P.S. I was wondering why Shining (Nor) is absent from this otherwise largely adequate list:

https://pub.needlebase.com/actions/v...y=Best+of+2010

A friend enlightened me:

"It's because Shining is not on the Metal Archives database because they are "not metal enough" (according to them, anyways), that's why :-)"

The metal "scene" is hopeless. Thankfully, there are artists who create for the Individual.

Meanwhile, Helloween have sold out their concert where I live, and there will be a second one.

"'Cause we all live in Future world, our life is full of joy. Our future life will be glorious, come with me, Future world."

...And being here-and-now is, as we all know, Jazz.)
Old 01-17-2011, 01:34 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
9/10 are good, bud.
I'm willing to bet they're all very good in perspective of their genres, but I can't lie when I say I only care about 3 or 4 of them at best.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:36 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
I'm willing to bet they're all very good in perspective of their genres, but I can't lie when I say I only care about 3 or 4 of them at best.
Understandable.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:01 PM
The <_> Badge of Honor

I may as well post mine...

1. Triptykon - Eparistera Diamones

2. Sailors With Wax Wings - S/T

3. Lantlos - .neon

4. Quest For Fire - Lights From Paradise

5. God Is An Astronaut - Age of the Fifth Sun

6. A Day To Remember - What Separates Me From You

7. Deftones - Diamond Eyes

8. Horseback - The Invisible Mountain

9. The Ocean - Heliocentric

10. Intronaut - Valley of Smoke

11. The Ocean - Anthropocentric

12. High on Fire - Snakes for the Divine

13. Unearthly Trance - V

14. Agalloch - Marrow of the Spirit

15. Watain - Lawless Darkness

16. After the Burial - In Dreams

17. Withered - Dualitas

18. Torche - Songs For Singles

19. Castevet - Mounds of Ash

20. Nails - Unsilent Death
6/28 - Warped Tour
6/30 - Puscifer
Old 07-08-2011, 06:41 PM
N00B

This list started out so strong for me. Then I got to deftones and was sad. I use to like this band but don't really care for them anymore I thought the album was pretty crappy but hey that's just my opinion.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:20 PM
Fairies wear boots and ya gotta believe me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggz View Post
8. Horseback - The Invisible Mountain
Glad someone else knows about this. Just randomly found it at a record store the other week. Great, great album.