Puya -- Washington, D.C. -- September 17th, 2014
Samhain -- Los Angeles, CA -- September 19th, 2014
Deafheaven -- Toronto, Ontario -- September 19th, 2014
DragonForce -- Aberdeen, Scotland -- September 18th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 11-30-2010, 02:10 AM
That Guy

MPF's 2010 In Review...A New Concept

I thought it over tonight, and I'm going to do something completely different.

I have so many albums from 2010 and I want to find a way to get all the albums I bought reviewed without being bored. That said I'm going to set my iTunes to my non-live 2010 playlist and set it on random. the first few songs that come up are the albums I'll review a day, until I get through them all or I run out of time. 5 is the minimum amount I'll do at a time.

Whether it is my favorite album of 2010, or the shittiest album of 2010, I'll review them as they are randomized. I'm still going to do the best/worst lists and yadda yadda yadda I talked about in the 2010 Thread, but I wanted to try this experiment first.

This collection will be from Soul to Satanic Death Metal, and everything in between :

Here are the first 5 randomized albums:

1.) Hail Of Bullets: On Divine Winds

This album is simply awesome. Simply brutal from start to finish, with a very nice war concept throughout. a great mixture of Thrash and Death Metal. The vocals are very reminiscent to Chuck Shuldiner, which is great to hear in today's music. One of my favorite drummers, Ed Warby is simply badass all the way through. Anyone who misses the days of Mid-career Death really need to pick this album up. It is very much worth your time.

7/10

2.) Avenged Sevenfold- Nightmare

A lot of people this year are either going to have a huge hard-on for this album, or completely shit on it. I'm in the middle. There are a lot of great tracks on this album *Save Me, being the best* and a lot that just seem to be filler *So Far Way for example* With as many good heavy songs on this album, there is just as many ballads, which really weighs the album down. With very few exceptions, I feel no album should ever have more then 2 real ballads for that reason. Dealing with the drums. The more I listen to this album, the more I can't tell it's Mike Portnoy on drums. It honestly sounds like The Rev's last album. Being an Avenged Sevenfold fan from the time I saw the premier of Unholy Confessions on Headbanger's Ball. I can say they are musically at the top of their game. But as I said there is a lot missing on this album as well. I'll go out saying it's an above average album, but honestly either they have peaked, or their best is yet to come.

6/10

3.) Dark Tranquillity: We Are The Void

I can honestly say that there is only one other album this year that has disappointed me as much as We Are The Void *I won't say what that is until I review it*. It's not that Dark Tranquillity isn't an amazing band. They really are. But this time they seemed really hard pressed to remake the same two songs on this album, The fest paced Thrasher, and the heavy mid-tempo groover, THAT'S IT! Had this been just an EP, I'd say that did a hell of a job with the release. They really phoned it in this time. I'm hoping with the next release they will try to show more sides of themselves. I know they are capable of it, that's why I feel so let down this time.

3/10

4.) Judgement Day- Peacocks/Pink Monsters

There are shitty String Metal bands like Apocalyptica, and there are the most badass String Metal bands like Judgement Day. I saw these guys open for dredg back in November 2008, and they completely blew me away. Instrumental Sting *Violin, Cello* Metal That doesn't sell out. Peacocks/Pink Monsters is badass from start to finish. The production on this album is also very amazing. From the Brutal attack of Cobra Strike to the beautiful, soundtrack worthy 9 minute track, Genosha. If you love Metal with a real String/Classical edge. buy this album!

8/10

5.) Lair Of The Minotaur- Evil Power

This album is very Sludgy and very Thrashy. A good way to describe it is if Mastodon and Torche made a band a Testament inspired Thrash band. While some of the songs do start the same, at only 30 minutes, it is short enough to where it all feels right. When you're on the freeway and you need to get some aggression out. This a half hour of Evil Power that's worth putting on.

7/10

6.) Seventh Wonder- The Great Escape

I just picked up this album and I can honestly say I'm very happy I did. Original Progressive Metal that should have been made years ago. It is very sad to me that these guys will most likely never get biog enough to tour extensively. But if I could I'd do whatever it took to make sure they could get out there for everyone to see.The closing 30 minute Title Track is one of the greatest Prog songs my ears will ever hear. While not a perfect album. it is one of the best Progressive Metal albums of the Decade, without question.

9/10

7.) Texas Hippie Coalition- Rollin

These guys are filling the Hard rock void that Pantera's Walk set back in the 90's. While it is indeed Hard Rock, you can without question hear all the Pantera/Exhorder influence. I first heard these guys on a local rock radio station and was very impressed. The only thing that I can knock about this album is does get a forced poppy feel in a lot of spots. But the heavier tracks more then make up for it. Think of it this way. This is what Down and Hellyeah should sound like.

6/10

8.) Finntroll- Nifelvind

Heavy Folk/Death Metal. That should say it all. The keyboard tracks on this album give the album a very, dare I say Bugs Bunny soundtrack feel to them, but everything else is just as heavy as any European Black and or Death metal out there. It is an interesting blend but one that keeps you captivated throughout the album. For when you feel like partying with your viking buddies after watching Lord Of The Rings, this album should be the soundtrack.

7/10

9.) Paul Gilbert- Fuzz Universe

Of all the guitar virtuosos out there, Paul Gilbert is easily my favorite. His style is exactly what I love in a G3 style guitarist. Bluesy, groovin', Hard Rocking, and mind blowing all at the same time. Vai has always been too mechanical to me and Satriani, while not as bad of a violator as Vai, is close. Gilbert just plain does it right, and makes the album listenable all the way through without getting bored. That is very hard to do with guitar virtuoso albums.

8/10

10.) Stone Sour- Audio Secrecy

I didn't go into this album with much, if any expectations. I will say this. Had Stone Sour not made anything heavier then this album, I would say they are a great Alternative Rock. While there are some heavier songs, only the fact that it sounds more like a forced effort to be more radio friendly knocks some points off. The songs are actually pretty good. Mission Statement is actually almost a Metal song. And if I was back in High school, I'd even say Hesitate should be everyone's song at Prom. Overall it's a great Hard Rock/Alternative Rock album. Don't ever expect Stone sour to go back to their first album, and I dare say it, I'm ok with that.

6/10

*Stay tuned from when I come back from Blind Guardian for more*
Old 11-30-2010, 04:10 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

This is a cool concept, nice work MPF.

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 11-30-2010, 10:46 PM
That Guy

Thanks man!

The next installment is coming tonight. I just gotta wind down from Blind Guardian a bit before I get started.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:42 AM
That Guy

Check the next post*

Last edited by MPF; 12-01-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:42 AM
That Guy

Alright back to work:

11.) Dead Letter Circus- This Is The Warning

There are a ton of Tool/Chevelle inspired Australian bands that have risen in the last few year. I will say Dead Letter Circus and Karnivool are the two best at it. Dead Letter Circus is bit heavier overall then Karnivool. Much more drum focus, which grabs my attention right away. But they write extremely catchy Hooks and keeping a very cool Post Rock vibe amongst the Tool/Chevelle comparisons. They might not make it big outside of Australia, but I will continue to support these guys through and through. They get it right.

7/10

12.) Kylesa- Spiral Shadow

Even though there are two drummers in this band and one of the hottest chicks in Metal. I'm not really into these guys much in the past. But Spiral Shadows has changed my mind about them. While they have written catchier hooks, it's not nearly as prolonged sludge that kept me away from them. Not to say I don't love Sludge Metal, but in the past I didn't get Kylesa's take on it. This time around they found their niche. I hope the new albums continue to go in this route.

6/10

13.) Holy Grail- Crisis In Utopia

These guys are absolutely insane live, and this album shows that they can kick serious ass in the studio without losing their live aspect. While there have been a ton of Retro-Metal bands forming in the last few years, I'm actually very happy in it's resurgence. No BROOOTAL Breakdowns or pig raping squeals, just Modern Thrash with that Classic Metal vibe. I love it. I hope these guys make it far.

8/10

14.) Hate- Erebos:

While these guys are good at what they do. The Polish Blackened Death Metal scene only has one band that matters. Behemoth. Maybe it's just because I'm spoiled on Behemoth to give this more of a fair shot. But I will say that while It doesn't have much staying power, it does have some nice Melodic Breaks and not always Brutal all the time. Which gives it a few extra points. Maybe after a few more spins I may find more to appreciate.

4/10

15.) God Dethroned- Under The Sign Of The Iron Cross

One of the best examples of Death Metal ever.While I feel they don't get the cred they deserve. I'm willing to give them that cred. This album again showcases that it's not about the speed and brutality they make, it's about the song structure and how you can make the songs ever more badass. They aren't afraid to be Melodic and dare I say groovy at times. As far as Death Metal goes, This is one of the best of 2010 by far.

8/10

16.) Charred Walls Of The Damned- Charred Walls Of The Damned

Richard Christy back playing drums...how could this not be a mindblowing album? While my initial reaction to this album was best album of 2010. After repeated listens, while it still has staying power, does feel a bit lacking.Every song has a great catchy Melodic hook amongst the heaviness. But at the same time, that I can't seem to pin point makes it feel like it could have so much more. For a debut album it's one of the best debuts to come out in a long time, but I really am hoping for more on the 2nd album...plus a real tour.

7/10

17.) Eluveitie- Everything Remains (As It Never Was)

My favorite Folk Metal band are at it again, and I'll go on record saying this is my favorite album from them. While the Folk elements have been pushed back a tad, the overall songwriting feels a bit more inspired this time around, at least since Slania. When their upcoming tour rolls through town, they are the band I'm looking forward to the most. Every song is just as catchy as the one before it. I really hope this will not be their peak, they are way too damn good right now.

9/10

18.) Electric Wizard- Black Masses

A Modern Day mix of Black Sabbath and Sunn O))) with more Death and Drug references. I think that's a fair definition. This is definitely a mood album. You gotta be in the right state of mind for it. I'm never on drugs and I don't think about death much, so that makes it a bit harder. But the album as a whole is very damn good. And if you're not a fan of Droney, Doom Metal, this will not be the album for you. But if you do enjoy Droney Doom Metal, This is the best of 2010 by far.

7/10

19.) Mnemic- Sons Of The System

Ever since they released The Audio Injected Soul *I still consider it their peak*, I've been thoroughly disappointed with every album these guys make. Sons Of The System is not much on an improvement. They lost all the elements that separate them from the pack of Industrial influenced Metal. I'll go ahead and say and wish they would make The Audio Injected Soul Part II. The newer more mainstream style mixed with Meshuggah riffs like the last two albums just isn't it for me.

3/10

20.) Orphaned Land- The Never Ending Way Of ORwarriOR

Middle Eastern/Hebrew Metal that gets it right. While I'm not of the Hebrew faith, I really like the style that they incorporate with great Progressive Metal. And with Steven Wilson as mixer and playing keyboards, this album is on the right track. While I don't consider it their best album. I will say Sapari is their best "hit". I regret missing these guys with Katatonia back in September *i had a gig of my own*, and with the way things are going, I doubt they will be back to the states anytime soon, if ever. But at least I know they made a badass album to support.

8/10

21.) Demon Hunter- The World Is A Thorn

I gotta give these guys credit. They keep getting heavier with each album. Long gone are their days of the industrial influence and now they are a legitimate Metal band. I will say this is their best album, but at the same time, I haven't given this album much of a chance. The Christian vibe doesn't both me, being a Lutheran and all. But as a whole, I know most people will be turned off to it for that reason. Give it a chance, it's worth it.

6/10

22.) Solution .45- For Aeon's Past

This is another album I haven't given a fair chance yet. But as I listen to it, I do find it to be a better version of what Scar Symmetry could have been. While I still need to give this album a shot, I will say that these guys can make it far with their next album.

5/10

23.) Watain- Lawness Darkness

Without question, the best straight up Black metal album to come out this year. These guys stick with their message. Make Satanic Black Metal that kicks ass. That's what they do on every song. While I know they are getting a ton of shit lately from the Black Metal community, I think their next album will make or break these guys. I really hope it makes them. This is my kinda Black Metal.

9/10

24.) Bison B.C.- Dark Ages

Long gone are the days of these guys being refereed to as a Mastodon ripoff band. These guys have found their sound. Heavy, with tid bits of Thrash and Stoner. While the Mastodon Ripoff comments will never leave this band, Bison B.C. showcases that their style can not be fucked with, and only gets better with age.

8/10

25.) Halford- Made of Metal

Wow, I didn't think this one would pop up so quick. Besides the greatest track Halford made in the last 20 years, The Mower. This is the shittiest album I've listen to in at least 2 years *that referring to music I like to listen to* I don't know what the hell Halford was thinking. Halford's solo albums used to be some of the most kickass music in Metal, now it's gone down the shitter with horrid 80's style glam rock tunes. Again, sans The Mower, avoid this album at all cost.

1/10 *again only because The Mower is a good song*

*Well that's it for round 2, more likely tomorrow*

Last edited by MPF; 12-01-2010 at 01:10 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:29 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
12.) Kylesa- Spiral Shadow

Even though there are two drummers in this band and one of the hottest chicks in Metal. I'm not really into these guys much in the past. But Spiral Shadows has changed my mind about them. While they have written catchier hooks, it's not nearly as prolonged sludge that kept me away from them. Not to say I don't love Sludge Metal, but in the past I didn't get Kylesa's take on it. This time around they found their niche. I hope the new albums continue to go in this route.

6/10
If you liked "Spiral Shadow", you really need to check out 2009's "Static Tensions" - it's a far superior album in my opinion. Having said this, I also liked "Spiral Shadow" a great deal, would rate it as their second best album to date, and would have given it much higher than a 6 (but that's just my opinion - I probably like sludge a lot more than you do).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
24.) Bison B.C.- Dark Ages

Long gone are the days of these guys being refereed to as a Mastodon ripoff band. These guys have found their sound. Heavy, with tid bits of Thrash and Stoner. While the Mastodon Ripoff comments will never leave this band, Bison B.C. showcases that their style can not be fucked with, and only gets better with age.

8/10
I had never thought of Bison as a Mastodon rip-off band. I've always told people they sound a lot like High on Fire, though (because to me they do). I also think Dark Ages is a pretty damn good album.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 12-01-2010 at 05:31 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:47 AM
Exit quickly or feel the sting of the pimp hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
I had never thought of Bison as a Mastodon rip-off band.
Maybe it's the name. Large furry North American land mammal with a big head, with the B.C. thrown in to make it old. Is there a band called Woolly Mammoth, too?

In other news, I dig this thread. As a person woefully undereducated about the state of new metal releases in 2010, I can treat these lists like tasting menus.

NP: "Klagenstuck" by Judgment Day.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:33 AM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

This is a pretty cool twist on the year-end list thing. I dig it
Old 12-01-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgodt View Post
Maybe it's the name. Large furry North American land mammal with a big head, with the B.C. thrown in to make it old.
Actually, the B.C. stands for Britich Columbia (which is where the band is based), which was added to distinguish them from another band(s) with the name "Bison".

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgodt View Post
Is there a band called Woolly Mammoth, too?
No, but this is close:

Mumakil is the name of the beast pictured on the album cover - it's from the Lord of the Rings. It's also some damned good grindcore, too.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 12-01-2010 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:40 AM

NOTE TO MODS: Posts #4 and #5 are duplicates (probably accidental).