Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Tankcrimes Brainsqueeze 2 -- Oakland, CA -- April 18th, 2014
Unearth -- Pontiac, MI -- April 17th, 2014
Wayne Static -- Birmingham, AL -- April 17th, 2014
Ghost -- Toronto, Ontario -- April 17th, 2014
Rainbow Bar & Grill 42nd Anniversary -- West Hollywood, CA -- April 13th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 02-06-2011, 07:12 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
The answer is the "Metal Bird" duo.

With that said, God Bless Our Dead Marines > I Built/I Fed
I agree with the first part of your comment, but the second part is why this album didn't grab me as much as some of their others. It could also have been that I just had so much other awesome stuff in my listening queue this year that this one just didn't get a fair shake. I dunno.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 02-06-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
OK. Here is a compromise - five more now, and five more later...if I stay awake.
I didn't stay awake.

Anyway, here are the five more:

45. Barn Burner - Bangers
I had never heard of these guys until I was given an opportunity to listen to their stuff for an online music review (which sadly never happened). Be that as it may, I was pretty surprised at what I heard. This Montreal-based quartet’s debut album is chock full of fairly catchy stoner metal in the same vein as Priestess and bands of their ilk. It’s very upbeat stuff, and their twin lead guitar attack harkens back to such bands as Thin Lizzy and Judas Priest. There’s even some bluesy feel to the music from time to time, which reminded me of how Clutch wears their blues influence proudly on their sleeves. Recommended for fans of Red Fang, Wolfmother, The Sword and all things stoner-y and fun.

44. Woe of Tyrants - Threnody
When I first listened to this album, my expectations were set somewhere between “medium” and “low”, since the random tidbits I had previously heard from them hadn’t impressed me all that much. However, the third full-length album by this death metal quartet from Chillicothe, OH (Ohio in da hay-ouse, bitches!) was a pleasant surprise for me. My first reaction is to compare them to Arsis because of the clearly high level of technical ability on display here, but all in all, I would say that Woe of Tyrants takes as many cues from harder, heavier bands such as Nile and Behemoth as they do from some of the more melodic tech-death bands such as Arsis and Necrophagist. Whichever band you compare them to, it’s clear that Woe of Tyrants is cranking out some technically-stunning-yet-quite-heavy-as-well music these days, and that’s a very good thing. Recommended for fans of the bands mentioned above.

43. Coffinworm - When All Became None
For those who aren’t aware, Coffinworm is a five-piece outfit from Indianapolis who specialize in a tasty combination of sludge / doom and black metal. This album, released by Profound Lore Records, is their full-length debut, and as far as debut albums go, I would say this one is a pretty strong charge out of the gates. The production is a bit muddy, and the band sometimes sounds as if they’re playing in a cave, but then again, lots of black metal tends to sound this way. The real point of this album, I think, is to convey a fair amount of rage – and I think Coffinworm does that very successfully here. Plus, with song titles like “Start Saving for Your Funeral”, “Strip Nude for Your Killer”, and “Spitting in Infinity’s Asshole”, how could you really go wrong?

42. Arsis - Starve for the Devil
Didn’t I just mention these guys a moment ago? [looks back at #44 on this list] Why, yes I did. Instead of being a point of comparison, however, Arsis is now front and center with their latest album ready to be critiqued by yet another unworthy judge. So let’s get to it. Under the heading “first things first”, let’s just get this on the table right from the start – Arsis have lain down an experimental batch of songs here. Some would say they’ve changed their style – I tend to think of it more along the lines of “focused noodling” (but maybe that’s just because I’m a big fan of their previous work). Either way, this album is a bit surprising because it is basically a thrash album from a band who is more well-known for technical death metal with a fairly melodic bent. Now that I think about it, though, this album is really both. One can definitely hear the thrash influence here – it’s almost palpable – but one can also tell that this is an Arsis album, because the vocals and guitar playing still have that “classic Arsis” feel. To put it another way, this is a thrash album that only Arsis could have made. In the end, some folks will love this album, and some won’t. All I know is, it spent several weeks in my car stereo when it was first released, and I’ve revisited it several times since then – and it always makes me smile and bang my head. Sure, it’s cheesy at times, but there’s plenty of cheese out there in the metal world (I’m looking at you, GWAR), so why not, right? There are several really good riffs on this album, and it keeps me coming back for more, so ‘nuf said.

41. Sodom - In War & Pieces
About a year ago, I listened to a new album by Kreator – one of the Teutonic Thrash Masters whose albums I grew up with back in the late 80’s. I was entertained, but not overly impressed. When I heard that Sodom – another member of this elite group of bands which were synonymous with the word “awesome” back in the day – was releasing an album in 2010, I shrugged and decided I’d give it a listen when it dropped. I did – and what dropped was my jaw. The first couple of tracks were like nothing I’d heard before from Sodom (granted, I’d not really listened to them much for the last two decades). This was (is) a great album! The addition of a second CD filled with live performances of some of my favorites from the days of yore sealed the deal. I am officially a re-awakened Sodom fan once again. This album makes me want to go back and listen to the albums which have been released for the last two decades, because something tells me I may have been missing out. Again, this is a great modern thrash album by one of the founding fathers of the genre. Recommended for fans of awesome.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:14 PM

Time to add another couple of trees to the raging forest fire that is this thread... (thanks a lot, guise )

40. Black Anvil - Triumvirate
Some guy named Brad Sanders reviewed this album on some web site I was browsing on, and he said that the unique thing about this NYC black metal outfit is that instead of howling, frostbitten winds and bleak, frozen tundras, the imagery that propels Black Anvil’s work is that of rush-hour gridlock and dark, foreboding urban cityscapes (or something like that). He also said that this is a powerful album that remains loyal to its black metal roots, but offers additional pleasures by way of multiple influences outside of its primary genre. Lastly, he said that the album is very compelling, and could be a promising omen for this band. The rest of the review was pure garbage, but I’d have to agree with these points at least. But seriously, this is a damned fine modern black metal album – you should check it out. Black Anvil is also quite entertaining live, so do check them out if they happen to make a tour stop near you.

39. Bison BC - Dark Ages
I’ve heard folks describe Bison as a “Mastodon rip-off”. Personally, I’ve always heard more of a similarity to High on Fire (in fact, sometimes I describe them as “Canada’s answer to HoF”). In all reality, Bison is really an amalgamation of sounds and styles from both of these bands, as well as having a healthy amount of influence from others in addition to their own unique voice. This album, their third so far, is probably their best work in that it shows the band both reaching out into new areas as well as keeping close to the elements that have put them on the map in the first place. There is a maturing process happening with this band, and so far, each album has been even better than the last. Here’s to the next great album from Bison! (Oh, and I finally got to see them perform this year, too; they are a great live band – worth your time and attention.)

38. Rosetta - A Determinism of Morality
Rosetta is a post-metal outfit that produces music which I describe as “heavy and slightly trippy post-metal”. According to their page on Wikipedia, the band somewhat humorously self-describes its music as "metal for astronauts". I think that description fits as well. Sonically, they really are a lot like Isis, but they are generally not as melodic as Isis can be. The vocals here are generally harsh and screamed, and there is a ton of echo and reverb at play. This album seems to have an increased emphasis on uplifting drum beats and soaring guitar work, and almost evokes a post-rock feeling at times. However the listener chooses to describe this album, ultimately it’s just a really nice slab of atmospheric post-metal (for astronauts, and earthbound folks alike).

37. Knut - Wonder
Knut is a post-metal outfit that I often think of when I think of the aforementioned Rosetta, but as I listen to them, I have no idea why. Maybe it’s because I discovered both bands at around the same time. One thing is clear, though. Rosetta is here to take you on a soaring journey. Knut is here to kick your fucking ass. Knut is discordant. Knut sounds a lot like Keelhaul, but much angrier (yes, really). Like Keelhaul, Knut loves to indulge in odd time signatures, almost as if to goad the listener into trying to headbang, only to have him / her break his / her damn fool neck. In fact, like the mighty Meshuggah, it’s almost as if these Swiss bastards are saying “I dare you to try to headbang to this shit!” You’re gonna want to try, because the music is just so heavy and cathartic, but if you do, don’t say we didn’t warn you.

36. Istapp - Blekinge
I read a review for this album on another web site, and the reviewer made it sound like Istapp is to Immortal and Mayhem, what Ensiferum is to bands like Amon Amarth and Unleashed. Then I listened to the album, and lo and behold, this guy was dead on balls correct! (not to mention that the review itself was extremely well-written and full of interesting descriptions and the like ). All I can say is, if you’ve ever wondered what black metal would sound like if it were to get over itself and allow itself to be triumphant – and perhaps almost happy – for about thirty to forty minutes, then this is the album you’ve been seeking.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:48 PM
Headbanger

SODOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
6/29 - Primus
8/4 - Soundgarden & NIN
9/27 - Clutch & Janes Addiction
Old 03-03-2011, 07:50 PM
We're dying on the inside

Nice Black Anvil blurb.

I really love what they do but I think they're an album away from a real breakthrough. Don't be surprised if their third is a masterpiece.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Nice Black Anvil blurb.

I really love what they do but I think they're an album away from a real breakthrough. Don't be surprised if their third is a masterpiece.
Agreed.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:13 AM
Fairies wear boots and ya gotta believe me.

You're right about Black Anvil's live show. They fucking killed at Watain.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:54 AM

35. Black Tusk - Taste the Sin
Simply put, this is one of the riffiest albums released in 2010 (you'll hear about a few more riff-monsters as we progress through this list, but this is definitely one of the most fun). This album received mixed reviews from many different folks on metalsetlists in 2010, but personally I just love the way these guys combine their Savannah, GA riff-heavy sensibilities with their obvious worship of all things punk to come up with a cocktail that is uniquely their own. It's like a stripped-down version of Kylesa without the female vocals (in fact, speaking of vocals, all three band members contribute on that score - another aspect I enjoy). It's like Lair of the Minotaur, but the lyrics aren't about war and the hardcore punk influence is even more obvious. However you choose to describe it, I definitely like it. By the way, these guys are loads of fun live, too - and they are very approachable and personable to speak with in person, to boot. Here's looking forward to another solid release from Black Tusk.

34. The Sword - Warp Riders
This album is another riff-heavy affair, to be sure. When I first listened to Warp Riders, I was surprised to hear how heavy it was. Once I started saying this to people, though - they started pointing out to me that The Sword's two previous albums were even heavier. I went back and checked it out, and they were basically correct. Where this album really exceeds its predecessors is in the progginess category. Also, it's even more of a solid concept album than the first two (although this may not mean much to most folks in terms of listenability. At the end of the day, though, it's still obviously a release from The Sword, and the stoner-y riffs abound herein as much as they ever have. This is a truly solid release from one of the most popular stoner metal bands out there right now.

33. Decrepit Birth - Polarity
Let me start out this blurb by saying that although I'm a fan of technical death metal, I'm also picky about it. One of the cardinal sins in this sub-genre, I think, is technical wankery just for the sake of it. many tech death bands unwittingly commit this mistake early on in an album, and from there on in, they've usually lost me either partially or completely. Having said this, "Polarity" was a pleasant surprise for me. There are actually some great riffs in here - in fact, one riff at about two minutes into the first track has a definite Cynic feel to it. Of course, the drum work is tight as all get-out and the guitars are impeccable (but we already knew Decrepit Birth was capable of this). However, what I like most is that there are passages on this album that make me want to come back for more - and that's what an above-average tech death album should do.

32. Yakuza - Of Seismic Consequence
Ahhhh, finally another truly solid post metal release. The two albums by Rosetta and Knut which were discussed in the previous segment were quite good in their own right, but in a year where solid albums in one of my favorite sub-genres were rather hard to come by, this one was definitely a pleasant surprise. I say this not only because I had never really even heard of Yakuza before listening to this, but also I certainly have never heard another album quite like this. There are hints of bands such as Minsk or U.S. Christmas (and sometimes even Neurosis) present here, but I would say that Yakuza takes the spaced-out, trippy, doomy aspect of post-metal to a new level on this, their fourth (and definitely best) full-length album. They deftly mix bits of thrash and even hardcore in with the thick blend of atmospheric post-sludge - and often at a relatively upbeat pace for an album such as this - with beautiful oddities such as saxophone passages, bongo drums and weird time signatures, to create one of the most interesting post-metal albums that I've heard in quite some time. This is truly excellent stuff.

31. Hail of Bullets - On Divine Winds
Did you enjoy 2008's debut album from this death metal supergroup? Of course you did! Accordingly, you will love this album as well. Why? Simply put, it's basically the same formula as the previous album, and in this case, that's a very good thing. Only the best of the best - bands such as Bolt Thrower, Dismember, Amon Amarth, Unleashed - can keep doing basically the same thing album after album and have their fans continue to drool over it - and that's true for one reason and one reason only. It's because they are ABSOLUTE MASTERS at what they do. The "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality only applies to something that's this good - for everybody else, repeating the past is simply a lazy cop-out - but not when your name is Martin van Drunen and the band in question is Hail of Bullets. In that case, doing the same thing you've always done makes fists pump in the air, heads bang, bodies flail about in a violent but somehow organized macrocosm called the mosh pit, panties fly off, and yes, money fly out of wallets. That's when you know you're a fucking metal god.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:49 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post

34. The Sword - Warp Riders
This album is another riff-heavy affair, to be sure. When I first listened to Warp Riders, I was surprised to hear how heavy it was. Once I started saying this to people, though - they started pointing out to me that The Sword's two previous albums were even heavier. I went back and checked it out, and they were basically correct. Where this album really exceeds its predecessors is in the progginess category. Also, it's even more of a solid concept album than the first two (although this may not mean much to most folks in terms of listenability. At the end of the day, though, it's still obviously a release from The Sword, and the stoner-y riffs abound herein as much as they ever have. This is a truly solid release from one of the most popular stoner metal bands out there right now.
I got my dad this album for his 50th birthday last month, he really likes it

Also, on the subject of Caspian, since you mentioned them in your "Live performances' blurb... I just noticed that they're playing friday night in Athens, where I'm going that very same day for a college visit. Should I try to make the show? I'm not a big post-rock fan, but I'd love to get a feel for the live venues around there.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganarchy View Post
I got my dad this album for his 50th birthday last month, he really likes it

Also, on the subject of Caspian, since you mentioned them in your "Live performances' blurb... I just noticed that they're playing friday night in Athens, where I'm going that very same day for a college visit. Should I try to make the show? I'm not a big post-rock fan, but I'd love to get a feel for the live venues around there.
I hope the Friday night in question wasn't the day you posted this, because I didn't see your question until now.

Assuming that it isn't, my answer is: "Hell fuck yes you should try to see Caspian...what the fuck kind of question is that, anyway?!?"

No, but seriously - I know you're not all that much of a post-rock / post-metal fan, but if you are looking to test out the waters - be it for the sake of the venue or for the sake of the band - Caspian is great stuff. Believe it or not, even though they can be quite melodic at times, they are still intense when they really get into an awesome crescendo part of one of their songs, and this is what I love about the really good post-rock bands...they can speak volumes of intensity without ever uttering a single word.

Plus, the show will most likely be cheap as fuck, so why the hell not, right?