Black Label Society -- Memphis, TN -- July 27th, 2014
Megadeth -- Milwaukee, WI -- July 19th, 2013
Family Values Tour -- Denver, CO -- November 11th, 2001
Judas Priest -- Salt Lake City, UT -- November 12th, 1990

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-30-2010, 02:18 PM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

Vegantopher's review of 2010

Hereís my review of 2010. I didnít buy too many new releases of the year, so it is difficult to make a top list of them. I mainly focused on going to concerts during the year, went to around 50+. The first part of my review will be to review the few 2010 releases I bought, followed by a review of the concerts I went to. Iím going to keep this open to all genres of music cause I listen to everything between old school bluegrass to crust to pop, as long as its good I will listen to it.

2010 Releases:

Low Threat Profile - Low Threat Profile: This is the best release of 2010 IMO, if not the best power violence record ever released. This ep is only 7 minutes long, but it contains around 10 or so tracks of pure violence. This band features Andy from No Comment/Man is the Bastard on lead vocals. This band has been around for almost 20 years, yet they finally played their first show over the summer. They are suppose to release a full length soon, canít wait.

Hank III - The Rebel Within: I love Hank III. He is my favorite musician of all time. This is his 5th country record to be released on Curb Records. The title track is one of my favorite tracks to sing along to, take a listen and you will probably agree. Gettingí Drunk and Falliní Down and Drinkiní Ainít Hard to Do are some great songs to drink to. Tore Up and Loud is a unique song because it is the only country song I know that features double kick pedal on the drums and a heavy riff at the end, any metal head would love that song. #5 is the slow depressing song that Hank III wrote with Jimmy Bower about heroin.

Arson Anthem - Insecurity Notoriety: One of the best hardcore albums I have heard in a long time. Features Mike Williams on vocals, Phil Anselmo on guitar and Hank III on drums. This is their first full length and is a great improvement on the ep they released a year or two ago. This record is definitely for anyone who loves music that is aggressive as fuck.

MGMT - Congratulations: I know there will be hate for this one, but its fucking great! They left their poppy sound from the Oracular Spectacular album and went to more of an indie/space rock sound. This album reminds me of something Pink Floyd would write. That Brian Eno song on there is catchy as fuck too.

Exodus - Exibit B: Another great release by this trash legend. My favorite songs on it are Burn Hollywood Burn and Class Dismissed, too bad they never play those songs live.

Sage Francis - LI(F)E: Sage is one of the best rappers IMO. This record is more of a rock album if anything, but still is great. Little Houdini and The Best of Times are some of the best songs this year. The Best of Times was a great song for Sage to end his career on.

Bad Religion - The Dissent of Man: I donít know what to say. Bad Religion is one of my top 5 favorite bands. I love their first 6 albums dearly, but this album was the biggest let down ever. It was god awful. The first song is great, then the rest was boring as shit. They need to stop making new music and focus on playing better shows.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:19 PM

Review on Concerts

Top 10 performances

10. Smashing Pumpkins at SSMF - Hollywood, CA: I have been wanting to see Smashing Pumpkins for years and finally got to see them at the SSMF on Sunset Blvd, right in front of the Key Club. They performed for an hour and 40 minutes of all the songs I wanted to hear. It would have been perfect if they played Disarm, but I was happy with what I got.

9. MGMT at Fox - Pomona, CA: This was my second time seeing MGMT. I guess I saw them in 2008 open for Metaliica and Bad Religion at a KROQ fest, but didnít know who they were. Congratulations just came out a few months before, so they were touring for that album. They played 9 of 10 songs off each of the two albums they have out plus 2 songs from random eps. It was perfect. I got to hear every single song I want to hear, so I never need to see them live again, unless a new cd comes out.

8. Repulsion at the Echoplex - Echo Park,CA: Repulsion is such a great band. I will see these guys every single time they perform out here. So fast and aggressive. This was a free show, so that made it even better. They played all of Horrified minus two songs and a few other songs. They played for 50 minutes and I was loving every moment.

7. Brandon Flowers at the Fox - Pomona,CA: The Killers are another one of my favorite bands. I have never been able to see them live. I found out Brandon Flowers had a solo cd coming out, I bought it the day it came out and loved it the first time I heard it. Found out he was playing 15 minutes from my house, so I went. I had balcony seats, but was able to trick a security guard into giving me a floor wrist band and found a spot in the very front. He performed the entire new cd plus the Clock was Tickiní, a song I really like. He cover Betty Davis Eyes and When You Were Young. Such a great performance. After the show, I pushed my way through the crowd outside and met him.

6. Suffocation at Whisky - Hollywood, CA: The best Halloween I have had so far. Got to see one of my favorite bands to mosh to and dress up. This was my 6th or 7th time seeing Suffocation, but I had the best time. It was cool seeing Jigsaw, Jason and Michael Meyers going at it in the pit haha.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:19 PM

5. Megadeth at Gibson - Universal Studios, CA: Best Megadeth set I have seen so far. They out performed Slayer that night by far. Not only was I happy to see RIP performed for the third time this year, they dropped that shitty A Tout Le Monde and replaced it with Kerry King performing Rattlehead with them.

4. Roger Waters at Honda Center - Anaheim, CA: The Wall is one of my favorite albums and seeing it performed live was a must. I was able to score floor tickets, dead center, 20 rows back. The perfect spot to enjoy this show. Words canít describe how epic that show was. Too bad Gilmore didnít come out and perform Comfortably Numb, but I knew that wasnít going to happen.

3. Saint Vitus at UV Lounge - Lincoln Heights, CA: One of the highlights of my life. Seeing these legends has been a dream for years. Being able to sing along to Dying Inside was such an epic moment. That night had a special surprise for LA, Scott Reager came out and performed Burial at Sea with them during the encore. It was the closest thing to an original line up performance. RIP Acosta, too bad his health was too poor for him to perform as well that night.

2. Muse at Mandolay Bay - Las Vegas, NV: Such a great time. My friend and I drove up to Vegas cause we werenít about to spend $270 on a Coachella ticket for Muse. We got drunk as fuck and walked 5 miles down Las Vegas Blvd to the show. It was an amazing performance. They played a great set, could have included more songs I love, but it was still great. I almost creamed myself when they played the Voodoo Chile riff. This is one show I will never forget. The only let down was missing Silversun Pickups set that night.

1. Hank III and Assjack at the Roxy - Hollywood, CA: Like I said earlier, Hank III is my favorite musician. I look forward to him coming to town each year. This was the 3rd time seeing him live. If you arenít familiar with his shows, he starts off with around 90 minutes of outlaw country. This is a very confusing time for people seeing him live for the first time because there is a circle pit during the country set. Iíve never seen someone play Cocaine Blues and have a circle pit to accompany it. He then performs a 30 minute Hellbilly set, followed by 45 minutes of metal. He always does a fun medley in the middle of the country set that includes Slayer, Sepultura, Melvins, Cro Mags and more covers in there. After the show, he will get off stage and do a meet and greet for over an hour. Good times.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:20 PM

Best Surprise openers
DFA for Poison Idea
The Golers for Toxic
Low Threat Profile for Weekend Nachos
Mammoth Grinder for Weekend Nachos
Sorrower for Goat Wizard
Nails for COC

Worst performances

Kid Cudi - I was extremely excited to see Kid Cudi on the SSMF, but was only able to catch one song. That asshole named Common decided to take 60 minutes longer than needed to set up, causing Kid Cudi to go on an hour late, which was 5 minutes before Smashing Pumpkins went on. I was let down when I missed him perform Erase Me, Pursuit of Happiness and Day N Night.

Meat Shits - I was excited to see the Meat Shits again after a long time of them not performing out here. They set up and I think to myself, whereís Rob? They start and the old bassist was doing lead vocals and Rob is no where to be found. They sounded like shit that night. I later find out that Rob is no longer in the band. They band needs to stop performing at this point.

Bastard Noise - I love Bastard Noise to death, but that night was awful! I was a hot summer night, over 100 degrees outside. There is no air conditioning at the Blvd, only a few ceiling fans. This show was over capacity, so there was a few hundred people crammed in that tiny room. I was just standing still and felt sweat pour off of my like rain. It was soo hot and uncomfortable in there. Then they spent a good 30 minutes sound checking and it was just pure feedback, so I was not having it. They finally went on to perform an awesome set, but I was just so uncomfortable that I hated it.

Bad Religion - Bad Religion is one of my favorite bands. I saw them in March/April perform some of the best sets they have done in years. 30 songs a night for the 30 years of Bad Religion. First night I saw them, my wallet was stolen 4 songs in, so I spent the rest of the set bummed out and didnít get to enjoy it. I later found my wallet with my ID and Debit Card missing, so that sucked. I saw them again at the Epicenter fest in Fontana. It was hot as fuck out and they only performed 30 minutes. The set was mostly radio hits and new songs off the cd that was to come out two days later. Suffer and Do What you Want were the only songs pre Generator that they performed that day, it was god awful.

Nile - I love Nile, but they picked a shitty selection of songs to play that night. I felt like I was being punished as I sat through the set. They kept playing the slow, heavy songs. When I see Nile, I expect the fast shit and maybe two slow songs, not 4 or 5.

Poison Idea - Worst performance of the year! I was stoked to find out they were coming to town and performing on Easter. It was perfect cause my work was closed that day, so I was going for sure. I got there early cause I figured it was going to sell out, since they havenít played in a long ass time. I got there after the doors were suppose to open and the workers for the Blvd werenít even there yet, I was there alone. After an hour, the place opened up. I waited and waited and finally Poison Idea hit the stage. It was obvious the singer never practices with the band cause he didnít remember the songs and told the band to start and he would sing along if he remembered it. He was focused more on opening his beers during the short set than singing. When he did sing, he just mumbled, it was awful. Donít ever see them live!

Kesha - Yes I saw Kesha perform. Yes I missed an Exodus show to see Kesha haha. I actually went cause I got a free ticket and I like a few of her songs and B.O.B. was headlining and I like a few of his songs, so I figured I would go for shits and giggles. Well, I regret going cause seeing her live was the most awkward experience I have ever had in my life. There were underage girls all over the place. Kesha was throwing condoms at the crowd cause it was an Aids awareness show, found this out when I got there haha. I never want to listen to her again after that awful experience haha
Old 12-30-2010, 02:20 PM

Other awesome bands I saw, missing a lot, but these are the first that come to mind.
Death Angel
Exodus
Slayer
Toxic Holocaust
COC
Plutocracy
Lack of Interest-random note bout LOI, when they opened for Brujeria, everyone was shocked on hearing them in a legit venue with a great sound, they normally play small bars with shitty sound systems.
Stapled Shut
Goat Wizard
Goatwhore
Saviours
Eminem
Dead Prez
Decrepit Birth
Steel Panther
Fleshgod Apocalypse
Adolescents
TSOL
FEAR
Possessed
Sadistic Intent
Vital Remains
Black Dahlia Murder
Skeletonwitch
Trap Them
Sage Francis
Shrinebuilder
High on Fire
Pestilence

Drink of the year: Fruit Punch Four Loko. I had one before each show haha.

Worst moment of the year: finding out Dio passed RIP
Old 12-30-2010, 02:59 PM
Kvlt,Grim,Frostbitten,and Grindage

great review man
10/31-King Diamond
Old 12-30-2010, 03:11 PM

I can't believe I forgot to mention the one album I had been looking forward to for a year.

Master - The Human Machine: Another great record from the legendary Paul Speckmann. Has the thrashy riffs that are always brutal. I'm a little obsessed with Master. I have all 10 records, plus an ep and the Speckmann project album. Listen to the religiously, except for that awful Lets Start a War. The Human Machine is a must for anyone who loves metal.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:36 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegantopher View Post
Lack of Interest-random note bout LOI, when they opened for Brujeria, everyone was shocked on hearing them in a legit venue with a great sound, they normally play small bars with shitty sound systems.
one of the main bands I wanna see at MDF!
08/07 - Handguns (?)
08/15 - Whores
Old 12-30-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
Make sure to hit up their merch table when you go. Kevin Fetus, the guitarist, always has a shit load of vinyls from all the LA grind/crust scene. He sells them dirt cheap too.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:30 PM
Kvlt,Grim,Frostbitten,and Grindage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
Seen em twice fuckin great live band.

and wtf meat shits aint got rob no more. Ugh i shouldve gone that one day they played at blvd then
10/31-King Diamond