Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Death Angel -- San Francisco, CA -- December 27th, 2014
Protest the Hero -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 27th, 2014
Marduk -- Norrköping, Sweden -- December 19th-20th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014

  #1  
Old 12-30-2010, 09:58 PM
Nick_to_the_face's Avatar
Nick_to_the_face Nick_to_the_face is offline
The best part of waking up, is Satan in your cup
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,847
Black Metal Help

Inspired by a recent thread, I have been trying to look into some more black metal. I already listen to Bathory, Destroyer 666, Dimmu Borgir, Dissection, and some of Immortal's stuff, but I need more.
Any suggestions??
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-30-2010, 10:03 PM
Wizzbang11's Avatar
Wizzbang11 Wizzbang11 is offline
I'm the ghoul of the medical profession
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Monterey CA
Posts: 2,095
Morbosidad, Perversor, Goatpenis, Blasphemy, Bestial Warlust, Blasphemophagher, Sarcofago, Barathrum, Revenge, Von, Satanic Warmaster, Nyogthaeblisz, Bone Awl.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-30-2010, 10:05 PM
mankvill's Avatar
mankvill mankvill is offline
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 22,352
Blog Entries: 19
Sup fellow KC bro!

Essential first wave:

Bathory (all of it's good, but it's really only black metal up to "Blood Fire Death")
Venom (Welcome To Hell, Black Metal)
Hellhammer (Demon Entrails is a comp. of everything from them)
Celtic Frost (Morbid Tales, Emperor's Return, To Mega Therion)

Essential second wave:

Mayhem (Deathcrush EP, De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas)
Burzum (Det Som Engang Var, Hvis Lyset Tar Oss, Filosofem)
Darkthrone (A Blaze In The Northern Sky, Under A Funeral Moon, Panzerfaust)
Emperor (In The Nightside Eclipse) probably my favorite black metal album from this period
Gorgoroth (First three albums: Pentagram, Antichrist, Under The Sign Of Hell)

From there, you can branch out and find a lot that you like.
__________________
12/16 - Pallbearer
12/18 - Orange Goblin
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-30-2010, 10:05 PM
MPF's Avatar
MPF MPF is offline
That Guy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 9,148
Emperor
Abigail Williams
Absu
Borkanager
Leviathan
Marduk


That will keep you busy for a while.
__________________
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
http://www.thatdrummerguy.com
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-30-2010, 10:05 PM
mankvill's Avatar
mankvill mankvill is offline
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 22,352
Blog Entries: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzbang11 View Post
Morbosidad, Perversor, Goatpenis, Blasphemy, Bestial Warlust, Blasphemophagher, Sarcofago, Barathrum, Revenge, Von, Satanic Warmaster, Nyogthaeblisz, Bone Awl.
you are bad at recommending bands for genre newbies!
__________________
12/16 - Pallbearer
12/18 - Orange Goblin
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-30-2010, 10:08 PM
Wizzbang11's Avatar
Wizzbang11 Wizzbang11 is offline
I'm the ghoul of the medical profession
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Monterey CA
Posts: 2,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
Hellhammer (Demon Entrails is a comp. of everything from them)
It doesn't have Apocalyptic Raids, which rules.

I'd skip Burzum and Emperor.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-30-2010, 10:09 PM
Wizzbang11's Avatar
Wizzbang11 Wizzbang11 is offline
I'm the ghoul of the medical profession
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Monterey CA
Posts: 2,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
you are bad at recommending bands for genre newbies!
I'm just trying to steer him in the right direction!
I.e. not what most people on here will tell him to listen to.
And all those bands rule
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-30-2010, 10:25 PM
mankvill's Avatar
mankvill mankvill is offline
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 22,352
Blog Entries: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzbang11 View Post
I'm just trying to steer him in the right direction!
I.e. not what most people on here will tell him to listen to.
And all those bands rule
Well yeah, they're good, but if Jeff asked for an introduction to extreme metal I wouldn't go and tell him to listen to Anaal Nathrakh!
__________________
12/16 - Pallbearer
12/18 - Orange Goblin
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-30-2010, 10:29 PM
Wizzbang11's Avatar
Wizzbang11 Wizzbang11 is offline
I'm the ghoul of the medical profession
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Monterey CA
Posts: 2,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
Well yeah, they're good, but if Jeff asked for an introduction to extreme metal I wouldn't go and tell him to listen to Anaal Nathrakh!
Why not?
I'd have loved it if someone recommended me awesome bands when I started listening to metal, would have saved me listening to a lot of shit.
Plus you could easily make the argument that Blasphemy, Sarcofago and Von are essential classic black metal which should be used to get into the genre, they just happen to be much more hateful/awesome/powerful than the boring standard Norwegian styled black metal bands people will recommend.

Last edited by Wizzbang11; 12-30-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-30-2010, 10:41 PM
mankvill's Avatar
mankvill mankvill is offline
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 22,352
Blog Entries: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzbang11 View Post
Why not?
I'd have loved it if someone recommended me awesome bands when I started listening to metal, would have saved me listening to a lot of shit.
Plus you could easily make the argument that Blasphemy, Sarcofago and Von are essential classic black metal which should be used to get into the genre, they just happen to be much more hateful/awesome/powerful than the boring standard Norwegian styled black metal bands people will recommend.
I was gonna include Sarcofago, but I'm more into starting people off small. Granted, I was introduced into extreme metal first, but I think I'm a rare exception!
__________________
12/16 - Pallbearer
12/18 - Orange Goblin
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:58 PM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008